“Great room, restaurant and welcoming staff”

Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here 3 nights before a Viking Cruise and the location was perfect for visits to the area temples and night time out. The buffet breakfast offers many options and the service is outstanding. Lunch and dinner menu is varied as well. Room and bath was spacious. Laundry was available for a bag price rather than by the piece.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank QueenBee0301
Fabrice D, Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Bonjour from Siem Reap Cambodia!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post those few lines about your recent stay at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to read that those 3 nights with us were wonderful and that you found the location perfect, the service outstanding; and last but not least enjoyed the quality of our culinary offer and the comfort of our rooms! I will pass on your compliments to our team, I am sure that everyone will be particularly excited to read your very nice comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to your home in Siem Reap! The Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra!

Yours sincerely,

Benoit Metanomski
Operations Manager

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed in Cambodia for 5 days and while it wasn't initially my intent to stay at a 5-star resort (as I was going to probably go myself or with some of my similar-aged friends), I'm grateful I was given this opportunity to do so! My family opted to come to Cambodia as well, since they haven't before and my parents were looking for an outstanding, comfortable resort, so they turned to Sofitel. Nestled away from the main hustle and bustle of the busy streets of Siem Reap but close enough for a $2 tuk-tuk ride to get into main strips of the city, this place is a beautiful oasis and getaway for savvy travellers.

The rooms are great and the service was lovely. The staff were extremely friendly all around and greeted you with a sweet "Bonjour". I enjoy the fact that I walk into the lobby and am greeted by friendly staff and the LOVELY smell of lemongrass and a mix of other relaxing oils. I did try asking the Sofitel store if they made that essential oil for purchase but unfortunately, it's not a "scent" they smell. It would have been nice to get the recipe though.

The rooms have L'Occitane products available and I was really excited because that's my usual product of choice so it was great not having to bring my own such amenities. The floors of the rooms are polished and they do have the option for your room to be serviced twice daily.

I enjoy the concept of being environmentally conscious by turning off the A/C in the hallways and dimming the lights. I know someone complained about that aspect here but I love it because it created such a serene environment for you to walk through the hotel. The relaxing music was also great - reminded me of my hot-yoga studio back home :).

I also had a chance to go to the SoSpa for a couple of treatments and the first day, I had a coconut scrub & massage, which was fantastic because my masseuse, albeit a tiny person, had an incredible amount of strength. I was also able to do a duo massage & facial another day and it was fun but my masseuse was not as good as my first stay.

The restaurant that was open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner was the Citadel. The staff were friendly and knew us by room # by the 2nd and 3rd day. The breakfast was by far my favourite because of the wide variety of colourful, exotic fruits available. Lunches and dinners are also great.

The only thing I was a little disappointed with - like many reviewers seem to have commented on here - is the lack of advanced notice regarding the pool. As one of the main attractions of this resort, I feel that there should have been a phone call or e-mail sent out, as soon as they realized the pool had to be fixed. When we got there, the pool had been closed for about a week, which would have been ample time to have noticed the guests staying during my time frame ahead. While I appreciate that there were services that drove you to Le Meridien's pool, I still think the essence of advanced communication would have been better and I think that's what the other reviewers are looking for as well - honesty and informed consent.

That said, I don't think the fact that the pool was closed earns the hotel a terrible rating - hence why I'm going to be fair and give it four stars for its outstanding service, great food, friendly staff, and lovely ambiance!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pawsdoc
Fabrice D, Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Bonjour from Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra!

What an inspiring feedback! I sincerely would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on TripAdvisor, this is very much appreciated. We are very grateful for the kind words you have given us on your feedback. We are excited to read how much you enjoyed the comforts of your room, the wonderful breakfast, our L’Occitane amenities, the lovely smell in our lobby as well as the quality of our So SPA treatment and therapist!
Furthermore, we are humbled of how highly you valued the service from our team, our hotel Ambassadors! I will be delighted to share your comments with everyone here and you can be certain that it will give a ‘’Boost’’ of motivation to everyone 
I particularly appreciate and would like to highlight your support towards our environmental approach. Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort is willing and committed on a daily basis to protect the environment. We are conscious that environment is an important topic these days and we believe awareness needs to be raised from an early age. Actions to protect the environment, save energy and reduce waste are driven daily in the hotel and I am so glad you have noticed it and appreciated it!
Nonetheless I do regret to read your disappointment with the swimming pool closed and the lack of communication around it. I was under the impression that we had well communicated about it…but reading your comment, I understand that we could have done better and I thank you for mentioning it. However, I am delighted to let you know that now are swimming pool has re-open and is ready for you to jump in!
To conclude, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, indeed we take great pride in providing to all of our guests an unforgettable experience, and by the contents of your review we succeeded in doing so.
Thank you once again for your wonderful comments and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

With my very best regards,

Benoit Metanomski
Operations Manager.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
3  Thank K L
Fabrice D, Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Staff were extremely friendly and always happy to serve you.

The hotel was beautiful and very quiet. When we asked for rooms with separate beds, we were immediately given different rooms without hesitation. There are umbrellas all around the hotel should you traverse an area where there is no cover from the elements.

Although the pool was broken, the hotel arranged transportation to an alternate pool. The gym facilities are very clean as well and stocked with towels, water, and even fruits.

Food at The Citadel was extremely good and staff were always welcoming. By the end of the stay, staff had already recognized us and remembered which rooms we stayed at. I definitely recommend the Khmer Duck Curry, Chicken Tikka Masala, Spring Rolls, and the Pad Thai.

A small complaint was the discovery of ants in unwelcoming places. I was lying on my bed and discovered an ant that somehow found its way into the room. Ants also made appearances on restaurant plates. Otherwise, rooms and restaurant appeared to be clean.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inside of the complex have a much nicer view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KingsleyWong
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Merci Beaucoup” as we would say in French! Indeed thank you very much for choosing our property for your recent visit in to Siem Reap but also for recommending us on TripAdvisor. A lot of people do not realize the importance of this online travel information tool, and though the quality of the product and service are on the rise, our ranking is today not as glamorous.
As I often write and post in my messages, (and it is very true), each of your comments do not only gain the interest of other TripAdvisor readers, but also work as a motivational tool for the Team to excel, stimulate that passion… and this time, our culinary team was pleased, as you can imagine to receive your feedback… From all of us… THANK YOU! And hope to see you back soon for more cultural discoveries! - Fabrice Ducry - General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

It's easy to like the place; it's airy and very attractive, with a beautiful spread for buffet breakfast and large well appointed rooms. Everyone is smiling and are always friendly. There is a difference though between actual service and just friendly faces paying lip service to the 'service' orientation they have. I asked about my points that I didn't see on their rewards account system multiple times. each time, very nicely the front desk staff say they will check and get back to me. Each time, they fail to do so. By the fourth time the 'service' is offered to me, I have it in mind to say Forget it, why even say you will if you don't? There is no follow-through. So, the next time that room service screwed up my order, I made it my duty to point out the error. I had to repeat several times, all the while the staff saying they understand and saying something else, which is not what I meant. 'so you order 2 extra toppings so there's extra $3 charge' (this is when someone called 30 minutes AFTER i had placed the order, to check on my toppings!); Me: 'No, the room service menu says each one is $1 extra.'; Staff: 'Yes, so $3 more'; Me: 'No, each one is a dollar. i have two extra, so $2'; Staff: 'Ok, peppers and onions. $3'; Me: 'No, $2"; Staff: 'Ok, thank you'... i wasn't so sure. Then, the food comes with the bill that says "1 scoop icecream. $2.50" Ugh.... It's not the 50 cents extra obviously, but... I made it a point to show the delivery guy the menu and explained. but after a while, i was tired and hungry.
The prices in the hotel restaurants are reasonable if you're comparing to the U.S. at most lunches about 15 to 20 USD.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank loracYCL
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Greetings from Cambodia! We would like to thank you for taking the time to express your opinion of our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We consider feedback like yours as one of the most important sources for improvement we could get. I took good note of all your comments, and will push and work harder with all my team to ensure that such matter would not happen again but most importantly, that we can show all our guest our professionalism. Our ambassadors expressed their desire to prove to you and all our guest that they do possess all the qualities, knowledge, motivation, passion and etiquette to provide a true 5-Star hotel service. Therefore we hope that we may welcome you back in order to experience again our services. Fabrice Ducry - General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

French-cambodian oasis to explore Siem Reap and temples. very helpful staff, great room, food and service. Pool was under renovations, but hotel arranged nice pool in another hotel - 300 m. Also, you can get bike from the hotel to cycle to Angkor Wat

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

A quick message to thank you for your kind understanding during our pool repairs. Though the set up organize with our neighboring hotel is working well, I am glad that this issue of pool repairs is not behind us as we were able to complete the work this week and started refilling our pool… We should be able to swim back in it by this week-end ! I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us… and hope to soon welcome you back in Angkor! Fabrice Ducry - General Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed one night in garden view room. The room is tidy and clean. The hotel is well situated on the way from town to Angkhor Wat so we can enjoy the peaceful atmosphere during stay. its decorations especcially the stunning pond with lotus is very beautiful. Our compliments go to the very polite staffs who always assist us in everything.
The pool is under construction but they are so kind to offer the other pool.
However overall we have a nice stay there.

Room Tip: Garden view room is perfect
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Greetings from Cambodia!... Thank you for your kind message. I will just start by saying THANK YOU, for your kind words on our hotel grounds. There is so much love and dedication put into these gardens, I am happy that travelers passing by do take the time to enjoy them… as much as we do too…
I will surely share your comments with the team tomorrow and give them a boost of “satisfaction” with your kind comments… On their behalf, THANK YOU SO MUCH!  We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra, and this time, for a great swim in our swimming pool which we are opening back, more beautiful than even … at the end of this week! Fabrice Ducry - General Manager