“public relations disaster”

Ranked #68 of 354 Hotels in Siem Reap
australia
“public relations disaster”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

we were put into a very nice room on arrival, but it did not take long when we noticed there was
loud noises coming from somewhere. my husband found they were coming from the room
across from us. it took four days to get the matter sorted out. why we were put into this room
when they knew about the renovations is beyond reasoning. we were shifted, received a
cultural show and dinner.
now to the the rest of the hotel cannot praise the staff at buffet breakfast highly enough, the
buffet was one of the best we have had. everything was so fresh and always replenished
with fresh things. the beds were very comfortable.
i gave it 5 star rating because of the staff and not assistant managers.
is beyond

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ingaaustralia
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you very much for your compliments as well as your comments. It is a pleasure to know that you always start your day with one of the best buffets you have ever had, our wide array of healthy and sumptuous breakfast selections, at the Café d’Angkor. Please accept once again our apologies for the inconvenience caused by an emergency maintenance issue in one of our guestrooms. It was certainly not a renovation as we would have informed our guests ahead of their stay if renovations would be in place during their stay as part of our standard procedures. I hope that you had an enjoyable time watching one of the best Cambodian arts, the Cultural Show, Apsara Dance, at the Terrace. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Christian Sack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of May. So glad it was a trip that I won with work otherwise I would have been disappointed. Stunning colonial hotel but I am sure for the price you could get a better hotel. We were first given a standard room and were greeted by a dead cockroach in our bathroom. They upgraded us to a landmark room. However, considering this was an upgrade- we gained a balcony - we lost a separate shower and instead had a shower over a bath with a shower curtain - really Raffles..?! The bathrooms are in dire need of modernisation and when the hotel is running near capacity expect changing water temperatures. Despite not touching the dial, it would go from a pleasant temperature one minute, to scalding hot the next, to tepid, oh and then back to scalding hot. Food and drink is crazily priced. $17 for 3 small glasses of coke by the pool. Club sandwich - $20 + tax and service! really..?! It is a stunning colonial hotel but for me to stay again and pay using my own money, it needs modernising in the bathrooms and they need to sort the issues with the water temp out for sure!!!

• Stayed May 2013
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and indeed for your recent stay at Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. I am very sorry that you had a number of issues that arose and have ensured that all areas have been fully investigated.

In regards to your comments about the bathrooms, during our recent refurbishment we made some modest improvements to all of our bathroom areas but only most modifications as one of the most important aspects that we have is to preserve the heritage of the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor as well as maintaining the old world, colonial charm that the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor is known for. Our engineering team had also looked into the issues relating to regulating the water in the Landmark rooms and are confident that such issues would not be repeated.

Additionally the point made about cleanliness, this is the first time we have received such comments, whilst this does not help your particular case our Performance Management tools which include Leading Quality Assurance and Market Matrix regularly score Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor as one of the highest performing hotels in the Fairmont Raffles Hotels International in this category with rooms serviced up to four times per day.

We regularly benchmark our food and beverage pricing and whilst it is acknowledged that our pricing would be higher than the majority of outlets in Siem Reap town, they are competitive with the luxury market and represent better value than many other Asian Cities.

Thank you for recognizing Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor as a stunning Colonial hotel. I would again like to express my sincere apologies for the issues which you encountered during your stay and would be delighted to make all of your arrangements personally should your travels bring you back to the Kingdom of Wonder!

With my very best regards,

singapore
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We (my husband, my 10 year old and myself) stayed here for 3 nights, booked directly through the Reservation Dept. by email.

When we arrived that late morning, a Hotel Representative was there at the airport to greet us and escort us to the mini van (which we ordered separately when we booked the hotel). Cold water and towels were handed to us which were nice considering the very hot weather in Siem Reap.

However, there was a man joining us , who introduced himself as our tour guide, and told us that he was assigned to keep us company for 2 days. So, I thought the hotel was assigning this tour guide for us as a compliment. He spoke good English and very friendly. Once we arrived to the hotel, we were ushered to the seating area, given the Welcome Drink, and again, cold towels. While waiting for checking in, the tour guide joined us in the seating area and continuously chatted with us. The Reservation Officer, Kim Seang arrived, greeted us and arranged our check in with the Reception. When I asked about the tour guide, Kim Seang told us it is a part of the hotel service that we might want to take on and not a complimentary.

The above experience was a bit unusual for us, because the tour guide was quite pushy with asserting itinerary for us even when I told her that I already planned something which did not require his service. Long story short, I decided to take the service for half day for afternoon session.

So, we booked a car for half day with the tour guide, and told him that we want to see the Sunset and Floating Village and if possible the shopping area. He agreed at first and took us to the very expensive shop which sells limited choice of souvenirs and silver jewelry. Afterwards, we went ahead to the Floating Village and when we finished , he told us that it will be tiring for us to go to see the sunset as if he did not want to go himself. At the end, we went to the market instead but he was not even helpful in pointing out direction on which stall is better or what not. Overall, it was a disappointing experience having to pay a tour guide like him. I felt that it was a rip off. He will be useful however, if you do not mind listening to the whole history of Siem Reap which after 15 minutes sounded like a recording.

I personally do not think that Raffles should be that aggressive in promoting the tour guide to the guests. It is just wrong, in my opinion.

The hotel was a beautiful landmark in Siem Reap with black and white tiled hallway and vintage style elevator which compliments the Hotel Lobby. A nicely uniformed door man was always ready with a tray of cold towels and the lobby area has character. John Mc Dermott Gallery was also located at one of the Lobby areas which is a must see gallery for the love of photography.

However, the hotel bathroom in the main wing is very dated. We requested for the bathroom with shower stall and the tiles of the bathroom were grayish and the grouts were not even cleaned meticulously as you would expect from Raffles Hotel chain. Due to the vintage design, hallway tends to be very noisy especially if your neighbor has a non stop crying baby or people who prefers to slam their room door. The bed quality was decent but a little hard for my taste.

The breakfast quality was just decent but not remarkable. Food items served were typical and nothing outstanding. Croissant was a tad oily than it should be. They have egg station, waffle station and noodle station in addition to the cereal and pastry station. The food range was pretty good but not the quality if I have to sum it up. A breakfast box is available for guest to order if they have morning trip to Angkor Wat.

The hotel had nightly small event around 7.30 p.m at the Hotel Lobby or at The Elephant Bar such as Lotus Event which gave you ideas on how they use it as decoration, its symbol status, food item and cocktail mix. It is a complimentary for the guests and can be entertaining as well as educational.

Hotel location is superb , very centrally located in Siem Reap. Nice restaurants are located in short distances and easily reached by tuk tuk.

The whole experience was almost perfect until the morning that we check out. We were informed that they could not grant us a late check out of 3 p.m but we had to check out at 12 p.m. despite the fact that we let them know of our evening flight, even after pleading for 2 p.m. check out. We tried to find Kim Seang , the Reservation officer who knew our requests and he was no where to be found. At 12 p.m. , Kim Seang himself called me twice in the room and asked me to move in 30 minutes to the spa area even when I told him that I need to pack my belongings. No sympathy whatsoever even when I told him that the three of us need to take a shower before checking out. He simply told me that we can all take a shower at the spa.

I held my ground and I told him we all are going to use the room until 1.30 p.m. latest but he kept on telling me on the phone that he needs us to return the room key almost immediately. At the last minute, he told us to move to another room so he can have our room back. I was like, "Wow, so much for courtesy to the hotel guest!". Instead of letting the other guest have the other room, we were the ones who had to move. I was trying to be nice and kept on telling him that I am trying to pack everything as soon as I can and will check out before 2 p.m. After all, the check in time was 3 p.m. and we did indicated that we really need the room until 2 p.m. despite of our 7 p.m. flight.

When we finally checked out, we asked to meet Kim Seang at the lobby. When he saw me the first thing he said was, "Hi Mam, are you going to slap me now?". I was really taken a back by it, not expecting that coming from a Hotel employee who is supposed to convey hospitality to the hotel guests.

I would have rated the hotel stay higher, but the tour guide and check out experiences have gave me a bitter taste in my mouth.

Will I return the next time I visit Siem Reap ?. I will have to think really hard considering the dollar rate that we spent on this hotel.

I just wish he were tactful in handling the check out crisis. Oh well....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CestMoi33
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 8 May 2013

It's our 1st visit in Siem Reap Cambodia. We got this hotel by travel gude. Wowaaaaa it's very nice, clean and very frandly hotel. Angkor temple it's amazing and pretty. We gropup of our friends wold like visit once again this place cambodia and want to stay this Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor and we will definitely recommend this hotel to our friends. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Thank you very much for staying at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. It is a pleasure to hear that you’ve had a wonderful experience on your first travel to Siem Reap and I hope that you brought home with you lasting memories in this legendary hotel and of the magnificent temples of Angkor. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next Siem Reap visit.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I am not sure I would rate this as a five star hotel, but, considering where it is located, it is a beautiful place. I stayed here as part of a tour provided by Regent Seven Seas Cruises, and was pleased with the hotel. My room, located in the original part of the hotel, was quite spacious. There was a small balcony which was quite nice, but since it was soooo hot, we did not use it. That said, the A/C in the room was very good. The things that surprised me were, masking tape along the inside of the windows in the bathroom, and peeling paint on the door from the balcony into the room. Just minor mainenance issues, but enough to keep me from giving it a higher rating. The staff was very friendly and helped whenever we needed. The elevator, while charming, is way too small for the size of the hotel, and I found the stairs more practical (even though my room was on the 4th floor). The food was more than adequate, all of our meals there were buffet style and were included as part of our tour. Having drinks in the lounge area in the evening was like going back in time; I half way expected Humphrey Bogart to walk in at any moment. Overall, it was a wonderful stay and if I am ever in Siem Reap again, I would be pleased to stay at this hotel. Since this hotel was included in the price of our tour, I cannot comment as to the price, or value of the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. We appreciate your comments and please be assured that we have carried out improvements in the aforementioned areas as part of our maintenance. It is a pleasure to know that you appreciate the colonial ambiance of the hotel and I hope that your overall stay was a wonderful one. Thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We arrived at dusk to a cool and calm little piece heaven. The staff were so warm and friendly and helpful, we felt instantly comfortable and excited to begin our adventure the next day. Drinks first, followed by dinner were ideal. An early morning start was made easy with the reward of a breakfast buffet before heading out again. After a very hot but fantastic tour around the temples, we returned to our little piece of heaven again and lounged around the pool and were spoiled by the staff once more. We all left with very very fond memories and hope to return soon.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
I am very happy to know that Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor served as your haven of serenity and luxury adding more memorable experiences to your fantastic exploration of the temples of Angkor. Most of all, thank you for your appreciation of our service. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again in this “little piece of heaven.”

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We have stayed here for 5 nights. This hotel has so much character, the pool is amazing, the breakfast . . . well what can I say, you could not wish for anything else, including champagne, but the real gem at Raffles is the staff - every one of them. They greet you by name, smile, and absolutely nothing is too much to ask. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the beds are wonderful and the amenities are great. A grand hotel with grand service. We do not want to leave. Thank you Raffles and thank you Cambodia for the highlight of our trip throughout SE Asia

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor room looking out over pool. You will have a little day bed and grass - a few s...