“MIXED EMOTIONS”

Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor
Ranked #64 of 372 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We traveled to Siem Reap due to its proximity to The Angkor Wat Archeological Sites, and what better place to stay than at Raffles.....AT LEAST I THOUGHT?????
I booked what I thought was a Land Mark Room in the (MAIN BUILDING) and Raffles Reservations performed the old BAIT and SWITCH on me and placed my wife and me in an adjoining building in what they refer to as The State Room. I caught the problem upon checkin only to be informed that the State Room accommodation was all that they had. NO BIG THING...JUST THE IDEA THAT THEY DID IT!
Our package included the Breakfast Buffet and even though it was good, it was not up to par as to what one would expect from a hotel at this supposed level.
But, I didn't go to Siem Reap to focus my time and attention on our hotel. I went to see The Unesco World Heritage Site......ANGKOR WAT!
This magical, ancient, and historical site is mesmerizing to say the least, AND THIS IS WHERE RAFFLES VINDICATED ITSELF!. Our Hotel Package also included daily guided tours to the archeological sites with a private guide and driver. Unfortunately, I forgot their names. However, I remember their car. Our driver chauffered us in an older Lexus RX300, Dark Grey in color. The reason I provide these details is because OUR GUIDE AND DRIVER were EXCEPTIONAL and I would like anyone anticipating a trip to Angkor Wat to have the same wonderful experience that we did. So even if you have no name to reference to,,,,,,,at least you know what car he drives. NOW I JUST HOPE THERE ISN"T MORE THAN ONE DRIVER WITH A LEXUS RX300,
Our driver and guide put a hundred plus percent into their efforts to take us to many of the acheological sites and explain in detail what we were visiting. I MADE ONE MISTAKE! I asked them to sit with us for lunch at one of the restaurants they took us. Well, I didn't realize that asking them to sit with us for lunch was interpreted by them to mean WILL YOU BE MY GUEST FOR LUNCH. From that moment on, I made certain that they were invitesd AS our GUEST to lunch. I would recommend the same to those reading this review as one of the most important ingredients associated with appreciating the many places that you will visit over your life time of traveling is a countries' people. IT IS THE PEOPLE THAT YOU MEET THAT VERY OFTEN PROVIDE THE MOST REWARDING EXPERIENCE. Also, reward good service with a generous tip. Even though they are compensated by the hotel, guides and drivers appreciate anything extra that they receive from you.
Do not miss the evening performance of the Apsara Dancers and the cultural dances they perform. This package is separate, is rather pricey, but well worth the experience. The program is offered several times a week at Raffels Hotel, is an evening show with a wonderful buffet. DON'T MISS IT!
So to sum up our experience in Cambodia, it was of MIXED EMOTIONS. On one hand Raffles failed to deliver. On the other hand they excelled.
Should i travel again to Siem Reap will I stay at Raffles? Maybe, Maybe not! But I know one thing. I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN AND NOT CHANGE ANYTHING!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vacationman47
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. I understand if it may not be clear to you anymore as your stay at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor had been a year ago, because as far as our records show, we had not offered any room downgrades in June of last year as it is strictly against our policy to do such.

Nonetheless, it is a pleasure to hear that you had a wonderful time in Cambodia with all your adventures and misadventures. I am glad that you had enjoyed one of the country’s most revered arts, the Apsara Cultural Dance. It is important for us that our guests obtain memorable experiences in this legendary hotel in harmony with their visit to the mystical temples of Angkor and it would be a pleasure for us to work on this goal again for you. Please do inform us if you would be able to visit us again in the future so we could make sure it would be a more memorable and pleasurable experience.

Thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Christian Sack

Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Stayed here for three nights in May while exploring the Angkor complex. The location was great, the service is impeccable, and the rooms were very well done. I would certainly recommend this hotel, particularly over anything on the road leading into town from the airport. The hotel still feels like its 1920 heyday, especially considering the really cool old elevator that brings you up to your room.

2  Thank 3WeeksAYear
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

It is wonderful to know that you had enjoyed being whisked away to the past with the colonial ambiance of the legendary Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor and I hope that your stay had been a nice complement to your memorable visit to the magnificent temples of Angkor. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We loved the beautifully appointed rooms, luxurious pool, and top notch service by every employee at this historic hotel. Great breakfasts, lovely teatime, cozy special Elephant Bar. We recommend this place in every way except don't bother having a "special" dinner at the Grand Restaurant. Though the food and service is perfect, the room is bare, nothing special and one can get a very special dinner at a handful of restaurants in town for 1/5 the price.

Room Tip: Both the double rooms and the suite were special. (save $200 a night by booking the double room)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KAREN T
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

It is a pleasure that you had enjoyed the ambiance and had yourself immersed in a gastronomic indulgence at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. We appreciate your compliments, particularly about our service and please be assured that your compliments will serve as our motivation and encouragement to further uplift our team’s morale.

As for our food and beverage rates, our rates are still competitive in comparison to other five star hotels in Siem Reap based on our regular competition assessment, and represent better value than many other Asian Cities.

Once again, thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Well we have just spent 5 nights here and have mixed feelings so in short here's why;

On the positive side;
we had a very lovely greeting on arrival and a good welcome drink
we were upgraded to a better room than the one we had booked for no extra cost
there are cold towels provided every time you return to the hotel
the building is beautiful
the food in the hotel is excellent, particularly the breakfast (and the champagne!)
the pool are is wonderful and you get complimentary fruit when you are in the pool area - nice touch
the concierge is helpful and the tours arranged with them are of the highest standard (good quality cars, a driver and guide, etc etc)
the service is excellent, although at times we felt the conversations were a bit scripted. All members of staff knew our names which was nice
the location is good for visiting the temples
the Silk bathrobes and slippers were a nice touch
the Elephant bar was wonderful - very atmospheric

On the negative side
The bathroom was very dated and not of a standard one would expect from a 5* luxury hotel
the hot water is very temperamental, either freezing or boiling
the bathroom had no extraction so when steamy, was unbearable in the heat.
the air conditioning in the room was very noisy and appeared to do very little to change the room temperature
the hotel corridors felt more like hospital corridors rather than hotel ones
communication in the hotel could have been better. We arranged to attend one of the cultural performance dinners, as advertised in the rooms. When we arrived at reception to ask where we needed to be, we were told there wasn't one on (would have been nice to be told in advance as this was our last night and we had no time left to arrange one somewhere else - realistically they should have done this for us). The irritating thing was that we were then given excuses as to why it wasn't on.....rain......there hadn't been rain up to this point and there was no rain after. It felt like we were being lied to. This tainted our visit as were were really looking forward to it. We were apologised to on check out. I would like to warn other guests that this may happen to them.

Over all we enjoyed our stay and would return, but would like some of the latter points addressed.

1  Thank FM100

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and for staying at Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. And, although it is wonderful to receive your positive feedback, I deeply apologize for the issues that you had encountered during your stay.

With regards to your comments about the bathrooms, during our recent refurbishment, we had modest improvements to all of our bathroom areas but only most modifications as one of the most important aspects that we have is to preserve the heritage of the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor as well as maintaining the old world, colonial charm that the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor is known for. Our engineering team had also looked into the issues relating to regulating the water in our rooms and is confident that such issue would not be repeated.

We appreciate your comments as it is only through such that we are able to maintain and improve the standards of our service worthy of Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. Rest assured that improvements will be done particularly on the above matters.

I hope that you had enjoyed your journey to the mystical temples of Angkor as well the grand and colorful Cambodian culture.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

I have stayed at a few great hotels in my (comparatively short) day... The Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor is in my top 3. It definitely beats out the likes of the famed Waldorf Astoria in quality of service alone. It is obvious that I am not the only person who holds this hotel in such high regard. For that reason, I will not go into my usual in-depth review and instead hit the things that so endeared this hotel to me.

The service here is magnificent. There is no other way to describe it. I will give a few short anecdotes and leave it at that.

1. Room Service: One night around 10 pm, after coming back in from a busy day and not having yet eaten dinner, I decided to order room service. Now, I was not overly hungry so I decided on the Caesar Salad with some whole grain breads. About 10 minutes after calling, my doorbell rang. I answered to find a polite steward and my room service. I stepped aside and propped the door open, thinking that I would be a bit of a help. The steward in the most polite yet authoritative voice asked me to please get comfortable and that he could manage the door himself. Normally I would be taken aback by hotel staff asking me to do anything, but he did it in such a polite, professional, and quite honestly humble way, that I could not resist. It was almost as if he felt that he would not have been doing his proper service, if he allowed me to prop the door for him. I was quite impressed with his commitment to service.

2. Impromptu "Hello": On my last morning I decided to go down the hall and get some breakfast before checking out. While I was strolling through the hallway a housekeeper that I had never seen before stepped out and addressed me with a hello followed by my name. This very well might have been my housekeeper, but I don't know since I was never in my room when he came by. He also was not in the hall as I exited my room, so he couldn't have checked a room list to identify me. He actually knew me by site after only a 3 days stay, much of which I spent outside the hotel. That was quite impressive.

3. The most amazing breakfast staff: Raffles has what I would consider the most impressive complimentary breakfast spread/staff combination I have ever seen. More than that, they make an effort of matching up the same staff members and clients every day. This was a wonderful touch. My waiters knew me by name just a few minutes into my first meal and also memorized my drink choices day to day. They even knew when I was checking out and wished me safe travels back to Phnom Penh. Even the soup/noodle chef knew my name, my checkout date, and where I would be returning to. It could have come off as stalkerish... but instead, the staff made me feel like a part of the family.

I visited in the off-season, so maybe my experience is not the same as it would have been if I had visited in the busy season, but I was impressed. I have been at few hotels where the staff genuinely made me feel like they enjoyed having me with them. This should be the service standard at all luxury hotels.

Room Tip: I stayed in the cheapest room possible, so I cannot speak to the more expensive suites, but I would...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thank you very much for your very inspiring compliments. It is such a pleasure to know that you appreciate our ways of making your stay comfortable and special, and that we have achieved our goal of providing you a memorable time at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. Please be assured that I will share your comments to the whole of my team. We look forward to having you back here in our hotel.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

We had this hotel picked for us by the travel agent. We flew in for two days from Bangkik and were transported directly to the hotel. I was at first disappointed it seemed so far from the hustl and bustl of the town, but from the mement we stepped in the property, things exceeded anything I could have imagined being in an underdeveloped country. We were met with a deliccious champgne cocktail that was decorated with a beautiful fruit . Our keys were readily avaialbe for us alpha betically, around a table. Very nice touch for traveling with a group of 30 people.

The room was huge and so beautifully decorated that I moved my luggage and took pictures. I will download later. It was not loud in the halls like the reviews said, it was all around wonderful. My only complaint would be it was an individual AC unit which of course is a little loud, but given the year the hotel was built and the gorgeous roomand huge halls and on and on..I would happily give up central AC for this opportunity .

The ammenities in the bathroom were exquisite and the bathroom itsef was huge witha tub and a wal in shower separate.

The show and dinner put on for all guests was fun and the food was very good for a buffet. I got to try many things I normally would not tried, with the wok and barbeque being my favorite. the breakfast however was perhaps the nices buffet I had ever seen or eaten at. they had all the normal stations, but they added a crepe station where they made crepes to order as you stood there, and had so many condiment, it was imposible to choose. They made homemade granola bars that make my mouth water today. The fruits were so gorgeous, I took my camera and embarrased myself again, as if I had never been in a nice hotel.

The service for most part was as nice as the hotel, particularly in the restaurants. Also, the maids in the hotel were very quick to help you h open your door or ask if you needed help finding your room. Being an older hotel, it had a few steps here and there and sprawled across the property, and I had a room in the very far corner, but it was fine and gve me more time to take in my surroundings.

Only suggestion: Make sure you triple check your wakeup call time before retiring. That leads to the the front desk people who were alittle stiff, but spoke other languages well, so there were no real problems. The gift shop is lacking so plan to buy souvenirs elsewhere.

If you go to Siem Reap, and the temples, please do yourself a favor and stay at this hotel. It will add to a most magical trip. I have stayed in hundreds of 4 and 5 ( a few 2-3 stars too) hotels all over the world and this was truly one of my favorites of all times.

Room Tip: Elevators looked like they were from the 1920's so you might want to ask for a room on the first...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank OrlandoTraveler11

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of our hotel. We thank you for appreciating the colonial charm of the of this historic building as well as the surrounding landscapes including the Royal Garden, which make up the serene, luxurious and legendary Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. It would be a pleasure welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Arriving by car from Raffles Hotel Le Royal in Phnom Penh (@five hour drive through the changing Cambodian countryside), we walked into the cool atmosphere of the Grand Hotel ready to start the second part of our vacation and were taken to the Conservatory to complete our check-in process in comfort.

The location of the hotel is very good, being only 8 kms from the Angkor Wat temple complex and a short remork (tuk-tuk) ride from downtown where a large number of bars, markets and massages are available.

It was lovely to be greeted upon every return to the hotel by a myriad of smiling faces at the door and always a tray with scented cold towels .. so welcome after days spent in over 36 degrees of sunshine!

We stayed in a Landmark room and although only on the first floor gave us the excuse and opportunity to use the cage elevator daily - yes, it is small but lovely to ride in. We had an excellent view of the large swimming pool area and sat out on the balcony in the early part of the evenings. Be very aware though that the water is HOT although this is not noted in the bathrooms. Yes, the shower is over the bath with a shower curtain, however, we believe that this is part of the charm of staying in an older style room.

As we were in Siem Reap for six days, we had time to relax around the pool for a day recovering from three days of bike riding around Angkor Wat and other temples scattered around the countryside. Good service around the pool including glasses being cleaned and revitalising fresh water faces sprays. Add complimentary arrival fruit kebabs and a lovely lunch and it is a wonderful relaxing day.

The breakfasts were very good with a good variety at the buffet, including champagne! We also spent some time in the Elephant bar although, for some reason, the price of some cocktails including the signature Femme Fatale were double those in the Elephant Bar in Phnom Penh? Still with a pianist in residence in the Conservatory with its colonial atmosphere overlooking the pool and gardens it still made a lovely location to end the day.

My husband was presented with the most delicious chocolate birthday cake during our stay (shame that we didn’t have enough time to finish it all!), and we had a very good dinner in the Restaurant Le Grand to celebrate. The hotel hold differing daily events and we managed to go along for one of their Wine Tastings held in the cellar which is highly recommended. This also gave us the opportunity to select the wines from here for The Birthday Dinner.
.
The front of the hotel looks across well maintained gardens leading to the river and the short walk down to the market areas and Pub Street.

In summary, a luxury grand older style hotel with excellent staff in a great location.

Outside of the hotel and during our stay in Siem Reap, we spent three days cycling around Siem Reap as we headed out to Angkor Wat and other temples (see SpiceRoads.com), a long morning in the National Museum with its beautifully presented items and good audio tour, nights wandering the markets, eating a great variety of food offered by a multitude of restaurants, having open-air foot massages and a Dr Fish foot massage – weird feeling for the first couple of minutes then relax and enjoy it and our feet really did feel better after all the fish nibbling!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

It is wonderful to know that you had an enjoyable stay in both of our properties in Cambodia, the Raffles Hotel Le Royal and the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. I am glad that you enjoyed your time traversing the scenic route of Phnom Penh to Siem Reap as well as the colonial charm of our hotels. Most of all, thank you for celebrating your special day with us. We hope you had great and memorable experiences in our hotels and we look forward to celebrating with you again in the near future.