“style plus”

Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor
Ranked #70 of 384 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We loved this hotel , a famous site in siem reap , a great colonial style , spectacular pool , a real colonial ambience , it has been faithfully restored to its original satate , even the ols original elevator . We had the buffet lunch on one occasion , it was delicious and beautifully layed out . The staf in traditional Khmer dress created a great ambience

1  Thank resa b
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

It is a pleasure to receive your great feedback and I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful time at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. Thank you for appreciating the old world charm and ambiance of the hotel as well as our luncheon treats. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Christian Sack

Write a ReviewReviews (1,774)

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Having had a poor first night at another hotel in Siem Reap, i arrived here hoping my short break in town could be salvaged - and it was.

Everything about this hotel is elegant!

Staff are first class and i never fail to be amazed that everyone knew my name wherever i went in the hotel.

The pool at this hotel is huge and a great place to chill out on a hot afternoon. Also serves great food - service as with the rest of the hotel was flawless.

My room was is the main hotel building it was large, well equipped and spotlessly clean with a nice view out of the front of the hotel.

Breakfast buffet was extensive and was exactly what was required before a day of sightseeing.

Can say enough good things about this hotel, yes it is expensive (espeically by local standards) however for me it was money well spent.

If i ever return to Siem Reap i will be sure to stay at the Grand Hotel.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed for only three days in early March. Siem Reap has no shortage of upscale hotels and the Raffles is certainly amongst the best in its class.

Normally I dislike ground floor rooms because of the lack of views and foot-traffic. However, this proved to be no problem as the views onto the pool area were superb and - not being a mass tourist hotel - corridor noise was not an issue either. The room was a good size with high ceilings, clean and well maintained; the overall style was colonial with all the mod cons one now expects. The bed was comfortable and the crisp white linen was luxurious. Two stylish touches were the hotel crest embroidered onto the pillow cases and the fresh orchids - very chic! My only complaint would be the bathroom. Although the colonial style works well for the room, in the bathroom it comes off as dated. Furthermore, the placement of the small shower stall the door was awkward. But for those who like to linger, there is a full-sized bath; and the toiletries are excellent quality, as is the bath linen.

For entertainment, there is a selection of satellite TV channels and wifi, which was a good speed for the most part. I never ordered room service but the breakfasts in the restaurant off the gift shops was extremely good - probably the best I've had anywhere in terms of variety and quality.

Overall, this is a great hotel with excellent staff for whom nothing was ever too much trouble. A special mention to Sari the driver. On this occasion I gave Raffles a 4* on the basis that I did not have time to try all the facilities/services on offer. However, next year I will definitely make a point of doing just that - based on my experience this year - it will certainly be a full 5* experience!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ExLibris76
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

I am glad to know that your stay at the legendary Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor was a splendor and a great experience to reminisce. As for your comments about our bathrooms, during our recent refurbishment we made some modest improvements to all of our bathroom areas but only most modifications as one of the most important aspects that we have is to preserve the heritage of the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor as well as maintaining the old world, colonial charm that the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor is known for.

I do hope to welcome you again in the future and please do inform us of your next visit so we could make sure it would be a more memorable experience.

Thank you very much!

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We traveled to Siem Reap due to its proximity to The Angkor Wat Archeological Sites, and what better place to stay than at Raffles.....AT LEAST I THOUGHT?????
I booked what I thought was a Land Mark Room in the (MAIN BUILDING) and Raffles Reservations performed the old BAIT and SWITCH on me and placed my wife and me in an adjoining building in what they refer to as The State Room. I caught the problem upon checkin only to be informed that the State Room accommodation was all that they had. NO BIG THING...JUST THE IDEA THAT THEY DID IT!
Our package included the Breakfast Buffet and even though it was good, it was not up to par as to what one would expect from a hotel at this supposed level.
But, I didn't go to Siem Reap to focus my time and attention on our hotel. I went to see The Unesco World Heritage Site......ANGKOR WAT!
This magical, ancient, and historical site is mesmerizing to say the least, AND THIS IS WHERE RAFFLES VINDICATED ITSELF!. Our Hotel Package also included daily guided tours to the archeological sites with a private guide and driver. Unfortunately, I forgot their names. However, I remember their car. Our driver chauffered us in an older Lexus RX300, Dark Grey in color. The reason I provide these details is because OUR GUIDE AND DRIVER were EXCEPTIONAL and I would like anyone anticipating a trip to Angkor Wat to have the same wonderful experience that we did. So even if you have no name to reference to,,,,,,,at least you know what car he drives. NOW I JUST HOPE THERE ISN"T MORE THAN ONE DRIVER WITH A LEXUS RX300,
Our driver and guide put a hundred plus percent into their efforts to take us to many of the acheological sites and explain in detail what we were visiting. I MADE ONE MISTAKE! I asked them to sit with us for lunch at one of the restaurants they took us. Well, I didn't realize that asking them to sit with us for lunch was interpreted by them to mean WILL YOU BE MY GUEST FOR LUNCH. From that moment on, I made certain that they were invitesd AS our GUEST to lunch. I would recommend the same to those reading this review as one of the most important ingredients associated with appreciating the many places that you will visit over your life time of traveling is a countries' people. IT IS THE PEOPLE THAT YOU MEET THAT VERY OFTEN PROVIDE THE MOST REWARDING EXPERIENCE. Also, reward good service with a generous tip. Even though they are compensated by the hotel, guides and drivers appreciate anything extra that they receive from you.
Do not miss the evening performance of the Apsara Dancers and the cultural dances they perform. This package is separate, is rather pricey, but well worth the experience. The program is offered several times a week at Raffels Hotel, is an evening show with a wonderful buffet. DON'T MISS IT!
So to sum up our experience in Cambodia, it was of MIXED EMOTIONS. On one hand Raffles failed to deliver. On the other hand they excelled.
Should i travel again to Siem Reap will I stay at Raffles? Maybe, Maybe not! But I know one thing. I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN AND NOT CHANGE ANYTHING!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vacationman47

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. I understand if it may not be clear to you anymore as your stay at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor had been a year ago, because as far as our records show, we had not offered any room downgrades in June of last year as it is strictly against our policy to do such.

Nonetheless, it is a pleasure to hear that you had a wonderful time in Cambodia with all your adventures and misadventures. I am glad that you had enjoyed one of the country’s most revered arts, the Apsara Cultural Dance. It is important for us that our guests obtain memorable experiences in this legendary hotel in harmony with their visit to the mystical temples of Angkor and it would be a pleasure for us to work on this goal again for you. Please do inform us if you would be able to visit us again in the future so we could make sure it would be a more memorable and pleasurable experience.

Thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Stayed here for three nights in May while exploring the Angkor complex. The location was great, the service is impeccable, and the rooms were very well done. I would certainly recommend this hotel, particularly over anything on the road leading into town from the airport. The hotel still feels like its 1920 heyday, especially considering the really cool old elevator that brings you up to your room.

2  Thank 3WeeksAYear

It is wonderful to know that you had enjoyed being whisked away to the past with the colonial ambiance of the legendary Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor and I hope that your stay had been a nice complement to your memorable visit to the magnificent temples of Angkor. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We loved the beautifully appointed rooms, luxurious pool, and top notch service by every employee at this historic hotel. Great breakfasts, lovely teatime, cozy special Elephant Bar. We recommend this place in every way except don't bother having a "special" dinner at the Grand Restaurant. Though the food and service is perfect, the room is bare, nothing special and one can get a very special dinner at a handful of restaurants in town for 1/5 the price.

Room Tip: Both the double rooms and the suite were special. (save $200 a night by booking the double room)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KAREN T
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

It is a pleasure that you had enjoyed the ambiance and had yourself immersed in a gastronomic indulgence at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. We appreciate your compliments, particularly about our service and please be assured that your compliments will serve as our motivation and encouragement to further uplift our team’s morale.

As for our food and beverage rates, our rates are still competitive in comparison to other five star hotels in Siem Reap based on our regular competition assessment, and represent better value than many other Asian Cities.

Once again, thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Well we have just spent 5 nights here and have mixed feelings so in short here's why;

On the positive side;
we had a very lovely greeting on arrival and a good welcome drink
we were upgraded to a better room than the one we had booked for no extra cost
there are cold towels provided every time you return to the hotel
the building is beautiful
the food in the hotel is excellent, particularly the breakfast (and the champagne!)
the pool are is wonderful and you get complimentary fruit when you are in the pool area - nice touch
the concierge is helpful and the tours arranged with them are of the highest standard (good quality cars, a driver and guide, etc etc)
the service is excellent, although at times we felt the conversations were a bit scripted. All members of staff knew our names which was nice
the location is good for visiting the temples
the Silk bathrobes and slippers were a nice touch
the Elephant bar was wonderful - very atmospheric

On the negative side
The bathroom was very dated and not of a standard one would expect from a 5* luxury hotel
the hot water is very temperamental, either freezing or boiling
the bathroom had no extraction so when steamy, was unbearable in the heat.
the air conditioning in the room was very noisy and appeared to do very little to change the room temperature
the hotel corridors felt more like hospital corridors rather than hotel ones
communication in the hotel could have been better. We arranged to attend one of the cultural performance dinners, as advertised in the rooms. When we arrived at reception to ask where we needed to be, we were told there wasn't one on (would have been nice to be told in advance as this was our last night and we had no time left to arrange one somewhere else - realistically they should have done this for us). The irritating thing was that we were then given excuses as to why it wasn't on.....rain......there hadn't been rain up to this point and there was no rain after. It felt like we were being lied to. This tainted our visit as were were really looking forward to it. We were apologised to on check out. I would like to warn other guests that this may happen to them.

Over all we enjoyed our stay and would return, but would like some of the latter points addressed.

1  Thank FM100

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and for staying at Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. And, although it is wonderful to receive your positive feedback, I deeply apologize for the issues that you had encountered during your stay.

With regards to your comments about the bathrooms, during our recent refurbishment, we had modest improvements to all of our bathroom areas but only most modifications as one of the most important aspects that we have is to preserve the heritage of the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor as well as maintaining the old world, colonial charm that the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor is known for. Our engineering team had also looked into the issues relating to regulating the water in our rooms and is confident that such issue would not be repeated.

We appreciate your comments as it is only through such that we are able to maintain and improve the standards of our service worthy of Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. Rest assured that improvements will be done particularly on the above matters.

I hope that you had enjoyed your journey to the mystical temples of Angkor as well the grand and colorful Cambodian culture.