“IRRESISTIBLE GOOD TASTE, FLAWLESS SERVICE AND GLORIOUS LANDSCAPING”

Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor
Ranked #63 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This is a rare hotel in every way. I was in a standard room and it was wonderful! Not especially spacious but very handsomely decorated and impeccably maintained. You sensed classy good taste and were always comfortable. The Cambodian staff here memorize your name and call you by name from the second day of your stay. The Housekeeping staff is superb; they will tidy up every chance they have, so your room is almost always in perfect shape. The bathrooms feature old fashioned tubs and classical sinks; the amenities are unstinting and useful. The breakfast buffet offered by the gracious hostess and the affable and most genial Mr. Yean Enyeng leaves nothing to be desired. The pool is huge, clean and feels like a very prestigious setting despite the sunbathing. The classic, colonial era public spaces are beautifully maintained and sparkling clean. I could not find anything negative about my stay there other than possibly the somewhat smallish size of the room I was assigned. I love Aman hotels but in Siem Reap, this is my favorite!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool and gardens.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marintraveler076
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you very much for your heartwarming review. I trust that you had an amazing time in Cambodia and I am delighted that the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor had been part of this wonderful experience.
Thank you for appreciating the details of the hotel and, most especially, our service, both of which are reminiscent of the grandeur and impeccable service that the Raffles stands for.
Rest assured that I will share your great feedback to the whole of our team, especially to Mr. Yean Enyeng.
Once again, thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Christian Sack

Write a ReviewReviews (1,738)

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This review is long overdue as I stayed at Raffles Angkor last summer in July. The purpose of this review is not to focus on the hotel itself which is beautiful, expansive, and has great staff who will do virtually anything for you, except for the concierge... To put things in perspective, I was traveling with my brother from Bangkok and we decided to travel by land to Siem Reap instead of wasting time in airports for the short air hop to SR. Our hotel in Bangkok, Sofitel So, arranged a nice car for us to accompany us to the Thai/Cambodian border, and from there the concierge of Raffles was supposed to take over since I left him an email specifying I wanted a car from an outside company (not a Raffles car, which comes for a ridiculous price tag). Upon arrival at the border, after 1 or 2 phone calls, the driver showed up and took us to some place where I was supposed to pay 18 dollars to the taxi union or something. It all sounded very shady and they started haggling it down to 10 dollars when I told them I had no cash on me, only enough cash to pay the car that was driving me to the hotel. The car itself cost 120 USD, according to the concierge. The car was a tired old Toyota Camry in comparison to the nice car we had from Bangkok (which was a car rented by the hotel for us from an outside company). Upon arrival to the hotel, we paid the taxi driver and immediately the concierge came running towards us and barely welcoming us to the hotel, he quickly rushed us to rebook the same car driver for a tour of the temples the following morning. That's when it started sinking in, something was odd in this entire situation. And my hunch proved to be justified afterwards. When going about town that evening, my brother and I went to enquire about a private car transfer for our way back to Bangkok a few days later, and to our surprise, they told us it would cost us 25 USD for the same car type Raffles booked for us. Now, can someone explain to me how the concierge at Raffles manages to set up their own customers and charge them almost 5 times the price for a the same service, and knowing this service only requires a phone call to book the car and send it to the border ? It's not a Raffles car. At this point, my brother and I felt mortified, it's not about the money, obviously if we can afford to stay at Raffles, we can pay for a lot of things. but it's the way we discovered this that left us baffles. At no time the concierge felt the need to just point out we would be better off booking a car through the internet ourselves as we would be charged 5 times more than the actual price. I wonder if the concierge gets his cut from the difference in rates. it seemed to be the case at least; when we brought this up to the attention of the duty manager, he started mumbling something about the price of the gas being higher in cambodia, and bla bla, but if the price of the gas is higher in cambodia, it's higher for EVERYBODY and the prices should be the same for everyone. the explanations were not at all satisfactory at best, they were in fact plain rude and condescending. Maybe it was the fact that we were young travelers 23 years old, but little did he know that I have more experience staying at luxury resorts than most people. At no time an apology was made, the duty manager kept on providing useless excuses. and needless to say the concierge never showed up again while I was there, because he probably knew he was in trouble. Also there was a note upon my arrival from the GM saying I could reach out to him personally if a difficulty arose during my stay. I actually asked the front desk to speak with the GM but he never got back to me. This incident, months later, still make me furious as I believe I have been mistreated by Raffles concierge and management, and that I was just brushed off as a nuisance after i brought this up to their attention. I also was never offered any compensation in return, not even a small gesture, which is tacky. Bottom line is: there are places in SR that will value you more as a customer than Raffles, namely Amansara, Park Hyatt, and la résidence d'Angkor. do yourself a favour, and don't stay at Raffles where scamming customers seems to be a normal procedure, and they praise their concierge for having some kind of hotelier distinction when in fact he just contributed to the local black market in the city. Note to the managers: I will never again come to Cambodia, or Raffles Angkor, or visit a Raffles hotel ever. Maybe you should open your eyes and see what is going on around you. thanks for ruining a trip I was long anticipating !

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank HassanBen
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

There is nothing negative that can be said about this elegant hotel. The staff treat you like royalty from check in to the moment you regret leaving. The pool, lobby, and property in general are beyond reproach. For example, the breakfast was probably the best we have ever experienced - with champagne!
When we sadly left, our "butler" gave us a present of a Cambodian cookbook. A truly great property!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank mjroeser

My team and I hope that we have left lasting memories for you to reminisce and may these serve as motivation for you to pave another visit to this wonderful paradise. Thank you very much for your compliments and I hope that you will have the opportunity to recreate the Royal Cambodian gastronomic specialties in the confines of your own home to share with your loved ones.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed at the Raffles for 3 nights in Siem Reap in a Landmark Room. The staff were so attentive and incredibly friendly, you only had to turn around to find a staff member ready to help you. The rooms was also very beautiful, it had been restored well and the bathroom was 'oldy worldy' but still very clean! The original elevator was a highlight. Definitely the best place to stay in Siem Reap! Fantastic!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank smbsstt

It is a pleasure to receive your appreciation and compliments on your stay at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. We treasure every compliment as it serves as our motivation and encouragement to always provide what is best for our guests. I am glad that you appreciate our service as well as the heritage and grandeur that the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor epitomizes. Looking forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here for three nights before Mekong River cruise on Cruisco Adventurer. Can not fault the service levels, the food (including the champagne for breakfast ably served in the dining room by Navy), the ambience and the extras like cooling towels on arrival and the size of the pool. It was difficult to tear ourselves away from the luxury to visit Angkor Wat at times. Best hotel we stayed at (including Swissotel Sir Stamford Singapore, Caravelle in Ho Chi Minh). Would recommend and will stay again when next in Siem Reap.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank crazyed
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you very much for your heartwarming compliments. It was a pleasure to have you here at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor and I am glad that you fully enjoyed your stay. I hope this journey had brought you wonderful and lasting memories to reminisce.

From the whole of our team at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor, thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Our first visit to Siem Reap to explore the architecture of Angkor Watt and surroundings was enhanced by our very enjoyable two nights accommodation at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. We were fortunate to be able to stay in a State room on the first floor in the extended wing overlooking the gardens. We could not fault the spacious room, the air conditioning, and the large bath. The staff were always friendly and courteous and the extensive buffet breakfast was outstanding. We gladly recommend this very special hotel, as it could not disappoint the most discerning of travelers.

Room Tip: The first floor state rooms in the extended wing are easily accessible and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

I am pleased to know that your stay with us was a great complement to your exploration of the world-renowned temples of Angkor. The old world ambiance elegantly combined with the heritage and the dedicated service of our team makes the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor a place where wonderful and lasting memories are created and where special moments are celebrated.

Thank you very much for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed in the Raffles Grand Hotel d'Ankor for three nights in August 2013. As a hotel bearing the 'Raffles' name we expected great things.
In just about every respect the hotel lived up to these expectations. The room was delightful, clean and well presented. The hotel lives up to its title 'Grand'. It has an old world elegance to it but without any shabbiness or being tacky. The service is great, too - anything we wanted was dealt with efficiently and quickly.
Two minor niggles - the first is the shower, which you had to run around in to get wet. This may not be the hotel's fault as it relies on Cambodian plumbing. You can have a shower but it is not a drenching experience! The second niggle was the cost of a very ordinary glass of wine...US$16!! This would be the most expensive (small) glass of wine of any hotel we have ever stayed at, and that is quite a few over the world. Not a huge issue in the grand (excuse the pun) order of things, but it does demonstrate the sort of 'ancillary' charges that the hotel exercises, which marks it down in value in our view at least. Needless to say, we ate and drank out most of the time after that, not because we couldn't afford those prices but because we thought they were just downright unreasonable.
Aside from this we were enchanted by the Grand Hotel d'Ankor...like most folk we came to Siem Reap to see the ancient temples and the hotel's classic 'old world' elegance somehow seemed to enrich that experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marcus P
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Thank you very much for your warm compliments. I am pleased to know that you were enchanted with the service and the luxury of the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. Most of all, I am glad that you had a magnificent time exploring the Angkor temples. Indeed, a stay at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor, with its heritage, luxury and elegance, is a wonderful complement to an exploration of the mystical temples of Angkor for a more enriching experience in Cambodia.