“A luxurious, comfortable hotel with VERY friendly staff”

Belmond La Residence d'Angkor
Ranked #41 of 376 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We had an extremely pleasant stay in La Residence in March.

Overall the hotel offered very friendly service and the food/drinks served in the restaurant/bar were amazing. The food was so tasty in the restaurant that we actually ate there 3 out of 4 nights and every dinner we had there was delicious. One thing worth recommending is the free dance show and the free puppet show that are performing in the restaurants during weekdays. We attended to both of these performances and we found them very entertaining and we had a good sense of the local culture.

We saw that the hotel staff really made an effort to made the guests having a comfortable stay such as by changing decors around the hotels at different time of days. At night, they light up the two fireplaces by the swimming pool and then they put up screens between the sunbath chairs to transform the poolside into a private, romantic area. Unfortunately, not many guests used that particular area at night probably due to the mosquitos, which is a bit of ashamed... All the staff working in La Residence were very friendly and helpful. We felt very impressed by the quality of service there.

We highly recommend La Residence to anyone visiting Siem Reap!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,460)

Reviewed 26 March 2011

There are many options in SSiem Reap for Hotels, and it can be difficult to choose a place to stay. I picked La Residence based on its Tripadvisor rating and was certainly not disappointed... I always try to select the best hotels in each location (with really no price restrictions) and can honestly say this hotels is worht its ratings on TA.

Rooms: The rooms are beautifully appointed (photos will not do justice to the quality of the presentation and the furniture). Everything seemed very clean. The amenities of of the highest standards you would expect for aa 5 star hotel.

Location: I gave this a 4-star simply because there doesn't seem to be much in the direct vicinity of the hotel. The town center (with most stores, restaurants and bars) is about a 1-km walk away / 10 minutes / 2USD tuk-tuk ride... So this is really not an issue. I am actually not even sure if there are hotels that aare located closer to the town center.

Service: Service was nearly perfect, from the airport pick-up at the airport, to the greetings by staff, and every interaction I va had with staff during the stay... We asked the concierge to arrange a guided tour of Angkor (with our desired locations) and Beng Mealea, and this was also done perfectly. The only drawback I would say is that upon our arrivaal (around 22:15 in the evening), there was no more room service for food by the time we arrived in the room and the baar had also stopped taking orders.. We ended up eating the pringles in our room and some of the fruit..

The hotel is very stylish (the swimming pool is simply beautiful) and the lobby is definitely one of the nicest i've seen for this category of hotel (boutique / relaxing type)

I have not seen the others hotels, but I caan safely say thaat this is the among the best (if not the best) hotels in Siem Reap

PS: One final note, the hotel offers airort transfer for 17USD, but also offers for 45 USD (per person) a VIP/Fast Lane Visa Service at the Airport). I do not think this is worth it. As I exited the airplaane, I walked into the airport terminal, where someone (before arriving at Immigration/Passport Control) was expecting me holding a panel with my name. I gave him my US Passport, my immigration forms and 20USD for the visa. He escorted me to the baaggage claim and asked that I pick up my bag and wait for him there...5-10 minutes later, he showed up with my US passport (stamped and ready to go) and escorted me, through customs, outside to the hotel driver who was waiting for me.

Was it worth paying and extra 28USD (17USD transfer is included in the price) to simply not wait a few minutes in line to get my visa and paassport stamp? Not for me.. Additionaly, in correspondance with the concierge, I was told I would be going straight from the airplane into the car.. This was certainly not the case, and I'm not even sure I saved time at all... I hope the concierge service will rectify this with their future clients...

2  Thank mahme
Vorana-GM, General Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2011

Dear Mahme,
Thank you very much for having taken the time to post us an excellent review.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and quality of service at La Residence.
The VIP Fast lane procedure that you have described is absolutely correct;
We facilitate the visa procedure by sending one of our staff to the immigration department who takes care of all the steps to get the visa.
This service was added since we had guests that have experienced a long waiting time to get their visa, it can take up to one hour to clear the immigration, especially when the plane is full.
For the luggage part, our guest needs to identify them and make sure that there is no missing luggage.
There is also the custom issue and I am sure you will understand that you will have to go through.
As you mention it clearly, it takes in general 5 to 10 minutes to exit the airport where the car is waiting for you. This is our VIP Fast Lane service standard.
Maybe your airplane was not full and you felt it was a useless service but I can re assure you that we have excellent comments on this service.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, I felt that I had to clarify the procedure for our future guests.
Vorana na Champassak - General Manager

Reviewed 22 March 2011

We visited this lovely hotel as part of a three week tour of Indochina. Siem Reap is a very buzzy exciting town with very much a holiday atmosphere. It is the only sensible place to stay when visiting Angkor and the many other temples, large and small, which are spread out over several miles around. It is also handy for a visit to the vast inland lake of Tonle Sap, well worth an afternoon's boat ride to see the incredible floating village (some travel guides are rather anti a visit but we were glad we were not put off).

The hotel is mostly constructed of beautiful teak and built round a lovely pool. There is a small restaurant near the pool for lunch and more formal one in the main building for breakfast and dinner. Eat outside here but please note that the lovely dancing girls and puppet theatre perform on alternate nights. The food here is first class and we regretted having gone out to a local restaurant on our last night. The best bit was the tuk-tuk ride there and back (the best tuk-tuks in Indochina and the only ones we felt comfortable to ride on) but the restaurant we went to was disappointing compared with the hotel. There is an inside area to eat at the hotel restaurant and this is better if you have already seen the puppets (which do go on for rather a long time and even when there is an interval, the loud music continues so conversation is difficult).

There is a fantastic spa which we made good use of and a lovely open sided bar area at first floor level above the pool. An enchanting setting for a drink after nightfall with flaming torches reflecting in the pool. Sheer bliss!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Pros- Very service oriented staff who remembers your name and speaks english very well. Great big pool. Close to night market. Costs $1-2dollars for tuk tuk. Great spa with calming environment and affordable.

Cons- Mosquitoes in room(not sure if it is avoidable tho). Hardest bed I have every slept in my life. Its like sleeping on the floor. Had to ask for extra padding the following night. Only one sink. Bathroom abit dated. Water splashes onto the floor when taking a shower as there is no partition. Meal at the hotel leaves alot to be desired. Definitely go for the pool view as the river view is more like a busy street view with people able to look inside your room from the outside.

Maybe 5 star for Siem Reap standards but not by American standards. Overall a pleasant stay as the friendly staff and warm hospitality of the Cambodian people won me over.

Reviewed 9 March 2011

Having stayed at La Residence in 2009, I stayed here again in Jan 2011. I previously stayed at Raffles but prefer La Residence. The hotel is built of wood and easy on the eye red siem reap stone. It is exceptionally clean and serene, which makes a big difference: the minute you walk through the doors from the hustle and bustle of Siem Reap traffic, you dont want to leave. but you should - Angkor, la!

We had two rooms: 53 and 52. They were just the standard rooms but were incredibly well equipped: see my photos. I forgot to take a pic of the iPod player, but they were JBLs !

Every single member of staff is very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2011

There are a few luxury hotel choices in SR and we had a look at most of them. However the one that stands out is the Orient Express-run La Residence d'Angkor, too large to be truly called a boutique hotel but because of the low-rise layout, a very warm and intimate setting.
Apart from the generous and comfortable rooms, the tropical pool surrounds and the abundant works of art , the main feature for us was the service. Staff have been carefully chosen and trained to interact with guests and nothing is too much trouble. When we mentioned that we'd like freshly squeezed pineapple juice before an early morning departure, our waiter [who was not due to start until 6am] got up early to ensure that we got our juice at 5.30am! This was typical of the service standards at this property. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We must agree with comments made by previous guests. We were upgraded upon arrival to one of the large interior rooms on the ground level that overlooked the pool, but we found the room in dire need of updating, in particular the bathroom. It was not well designed and did not take advantage of the space. Guests would be better served with a modern bathtub/shower and two separate sinks. Also the quality of the linens, towels and bathrobes was not up to the standard that one should expect of the Orient Express. We had the opportunity to visit friends who were staying at the Raffles and were most impressed with the renovations that had been made since our stay there many years before. We must admit that we regretted that we did not return to the Raffles.

But, as mentioned by previous guests, we found the staff were genuinely pleasant, welcoming and eager to please. The food and service at both the outdoor restaurant and the main restaurant was very good though the staff would benefit from further English language training.

As we had previously visited Siem Reap, we did not need a tour guide and instead hired a driver who we would highly recommend. Sokphal Roath (yamadaphal@hotmail.com) speaks English very well, is knowledgeable and punctual.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple