“Marvelous stay!”

Ranked #43 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Bulle, Switzerland
“Marvelous stay!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have spent 6 days in Belmond La Résidence d’Angkor, such a marvelous experience! The service was great and I really liked the food. I give my warmest recommendations to this amazing location and hotel

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JosephineChat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bulle, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel and had a few meal in the hotel restaurant for the past weekend. I was amazed by the decoration and the design of the hotel. Also, I was deeply touched by the helpful and patience of the staff in the hotel. Explaining and help me to arrange all the activities I could do in the town. Their food is incredible, with no difference than what I have tried in Europe. It is definitely a hotel that I would choose to stay for my next journey in Siem Reap!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kohtatti
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here during the the 3rd week in April as part of a multi country SE Asian vacation. Overall, I think that this is quite a good hotel with some excellent features. It is well located in Siem Reap, and not far from the major attractions. There is an outstanding pool (40 meters long) which my wife and I swam laps in each morning after sunrise. This was necessary because of the intense heat, which made the water bathtub warm by the middle of the day. Nonetheless, it was a terrific pool, and a real asset for anyone who likes to swim. We also enjoyed the food, especially the breakfast buffet, which was plentiful and delicious. Dinner wasn't quite as good, and was a bit overpriced given the smallish portions. However, hotel dining rooms are often overpriced. There is also an excellent Kmer dance performance which appears in the dining room twice a week, and this offered some compensation. Service at the hotel seemed genuinely warm, gracious, and efficient, and we generally enjoyed our contacts with the line staff.

Now for the problems, which were twofold. First, our room was decidedly underwhelming in both it's appointments and furnishings. It definitely seemed at least a cut below what one might expect of a property of this kind. Even more importantly, our AC wasn't working properly, and it was much to warm in our room, pretty much on an ongoing basis. This was especially important because of the blazing heat outside, as there was then no good place to retreat and cool off during the middle of the day when everyone lies low. Someone did eventually come in and tune it up by the 3rd day, which was helpful, but it felt a bit like it was to little to late. On another front, we also had an unpleasant disagreement with management about the package inclusions that we had arranged when making our booking, and which were clearly delineated on our written confirmation from the hotel. I will not bore you with all of the details, but we really ended up feeling that we were being nickeled and dimmed solely over what was acknowledged as a technicality in the way the reservation was booked. This dispute was not resolved at all until the second day of our stay, and it definitely did taint our experience at the hotel even though we were hoping that it wouldn't. Again, I'd like to stress that the problem was with the manager, who never did speak to us in person about the problem, and not the line staff who were generally excellent.

Would these problems cause me to choose another hotel if I had it to do over again? Honestly, it's hard to say. Existing separately perhaps not. But taken together during the same stay it might be difficult to want to return. Again, to be fair, this is a very good hotel with some real virtues, including a generally warm and welcoming staff. Unfortunately, there were also some real problems during our stay.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool is probably best.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank medtraveler2013
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Location, location, location. The rooms are large and spacious. The bathroom is lovely to look at but a times a bit impractical (the tub is very large and if you have short legs, it's hard to get into). The pool is beautiful, especially when it's lit up at night. Everyone that waited on us was extremely helpful and concerned with our welfare. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shelly S
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at the La Residence for 3 days in late April. That's the off-season in Siem Reap because of the heat, so there were not many other guests. It felt like we had the place to ourselves. It's a beautiful property, not far from the old town portion of the city (a few blocks). The room was spacious, the service was outstanding, and everyone was very friendly. I would sure like to see the 7 properties rated better than this, because it was first class all the way. I would highly recommend it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve H
Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The jewel in the crown when it comes to hotels in Siem Reap. On your arrival you enter a space of tranquillity, a space to escape the madness of SIem Reap. The staff are warm and attentive. The rooms are large with all one could ask for. I had a suite, if size count this is the one to have. Breakfast is excellent, so was dinner with the dancers on a Tuesday evening. Thank you to Carla the manager. Could not ask for any improvement.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Grumpyfig
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Beatiful hotel, very good service, nice breakfast. We stayed in the room, facing the swimming pool. Rooms are nice, but bathrooms need an update. Bathtubs are old and not very convinient, so if you want to take a shower, you have climb in and then out of the huge bathtub.
During our stay we had all our meals in the hotel. Breakfasts were good but I agree with some other reviews that lunch and dinner in the hotel were too expensive with the same menu every day...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family