“Peaceful beauty and truly outstanding staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmond La Residence d'Angkor

Belmond La Residence d'Angkor
Ranked #44 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
San Francisco, California
“Peaceful beauty and truly outstanding staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My spouse and I spent five nights here in March to celebrate a milestone birthday. There are so many terrific-sounding lodging options in Siem Reap, but we are thrilled that we chose La Residence. Every time we walked through the doors, we just exhaled. The grounds are beautiful, with luscious tropical plants, teak wood, and an amazing pool that half-tempted us to ditch our itinerary and hang out all day. You just feel happy being surrounded by such beauty. The spa, which we used twice, was a delight, and I swear I would walk by it every morning just to catch the lemongrass scent. The breakfast spread was among the best I've had, so fresh and delicious. Finally, the staff were consistently friendly and helpful; I was genuinely sad to say good-bye to some of them! I'm not generally someone who is loyal to brands, but if this what every Belmond hotel is like, I may be hooked.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Robert S
Gm-Angkor, Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Robert S,

thank you very much for taking the time to write this exciting review! It's a great motivation to all of us here to see that we managed to meet your expectations in Belmond La Residence d'Angkor. It's exciting to see that we got you hooked on the Belmond brand and I hope you had the chance in the meantime to visit some of our other properties as well!

all the best and maybe se you back here one day!

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

If you are planning to visit Siem Reap and want to have the most memorable stay, look no further. Welcome to La Residence d'Angkor. From the moment you arrive at the airport to the sad moment of having to leave the hotel, the attention to detail and luxuries of this hotel are unparalleled. The accommodations are beautifully designed, very spacious and tastefully decorated.

I was traveling alone for a recent birthday and I must apologize to the hotel for the late post, though as they say....better late than never. In my mind, creating an environment that one doesn't want to leave is no easy task and the goal of all hotels. La Residence did exactly that. Cocktails at the bar where I loved conversations with the staff, especially Roth Sovann made my stay first class. Everyone else from restaurants to housekeeping to the spa and the guys that take care of you while relaxing by the amazing salt water pool.

One particular interaction I must highlight is the gift shop. I left home with a request from a neighbor that stayed at the resort a year and a half prior who purchased a silk clutch there. The mission was to replace this clutch as unfortunately the item was stolen from her on a trip to another country. Not knowing what the clutch looked like and with just a description of it as well as the price my neighbor paid, I walked in the store thinking what are the odds they will still have this. The lady who helped me and unfortunately I can't remember her name was very nice as I told her the story. Turns out, even though they didn't carry the clutch anymore, she remembered the item when I mentioned the price to which she offered to call the artisan and see what she could do. The next day, after returning from a tour the lady had pass the information to her coworker who singled me out as I entered the hotel and called up to tell me they found the clutch and had it delivered for me to look at whenever I had a moment. I was looking to replace a black silver clutch and they brought for me to look at in five colors!!! Where does this happen? I was just speechless.

If you have read this review and haven't figured it out on your own, the point is that this hotel is "Simply Amazing" and you should absolutely treat your self to the best. Cheers!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank romazzino
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here in low season as the last few nights of our honeymoon.
Unfortunately I was really sick when we arrived at the hotel, and I must say we didn't venture out much because of this.

The hotel its self is less than 10 min stroll from pub street and is very well located.

We ordered room service twice and ate in the bar once. I have to say after our hotel in Thailand, I found the food and drinks prices very reasonable in comparison. We didn't eat out of the hotel, apart from one meal, so I don't have much else to compare it with, price wise. Food was tasty and well presented.

Our room, 54, was lovely, but looked directly over the bar, so we could see people in the bar, and I'm pretty sure they could see us. This led to us having to draw the shutters a lot for privacy reasons, and blocked out a lot of the natural light. It would have been slightly better if there were some wooden Venetian blinds where we could adjust for privacy and still let in some light.
But a really minor detail in reality.

The room was well appointed and had everything you could want in a short stay, lots of bottled water provided daily, which was very much appreciated, especially while I was ill.

We had fresh local fruit daily which was interesting, we just decided to eat the beautiful but strange fruit without having much idea what it was, and it was all really lovely.

One minor irritation was that on the 2nd day of our stay the water from the taps started to smell funny, a kind of dirty metallic smell. Again I don't think this was the hotel's fault as they get their water elsewhere I presume, but it did feel a bit funny having a shower and washing your hair only to step out of the shower and have this smell on you...I never felt that clean afterwards.

Unfortunately the pool area was undergoing renovation, I can see from the old decking that it was needed, but it did slightly strain the ambiance, and the pool was one of the main reasons we picked the hotel. The pool was also not very deep and in the hot sun it was very much like a warm bath, which was slightly disappointing after tracking around the temples all day, again, I don't think there is anything that the hotel could do about this given the heat.

All the staff we cam across were so lovely and helpful especially the restaurant staff that were there in the mornings and they all really made our stay. I just wish I got to stay longer to soak up the lovely service.

Overall a good stay, but a few minor niggles for me led me to give it 4/5 rather than 5/5.
I would definitely like to return after the pool renovation has been completed and maybe at a time when the weather wasn't so hot and sticky!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philippa D
Gm-Angkor, Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Philippa D,

Thanks a lot for your very detailed review, your positive comments and your points for improvement. I hope that you have recovered well from your sickness.

Our engineering team already looked into the problem with the water and are coming up with a solution soon. I can imagine that you did not feel really clean afterwards, and I'd like to apologize for that. I'm pleased to inform you that in a few day's, the pool will be finished! That means a new deck, water levels that are higher and a peaceful environment where guests can relax as they should.

Once again, thank your for letting the world know about your experience and hope to see you again soon!

Siem Reap
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

we enjoyed our stay thoroughly. The facilities are outstanding, the service excellent, all personnel we have been dealing with extremely helpful and courteous. There was hardly anything we could complain - one of the most beautiful experiences we even had. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Orlando P
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is on a "major artery" in Siem Reap. The neighborhood is clean, safe and friendly. We visited in February and were greeted by the staff. We "checked in" at a table in the lobby which had a young woman playing a xylophone while we were served a cold tea.
Our room was extremely well equipped. We had a balcony and there was incense burning when we came inside. The shower and bathroom were modern, functioned well and quiet. There was a TV, outlets, bowls of exotic fruit and a very comfortable bed. You could sit on the balcony on a very comfortable chair watching the cars and bikes on the road but why would anyone do that when the pool is on the other side of our room? The pool is stunning, temperate and meticulous. Beverages and food can be purchased at poolside.
There are local restaurants, all extremely inexpensive, all populated by a very international clientele of tourists coming to see Angkor Wat. The hotel has several restaurants, all excellent and they provide a very relaxed atmosphere. The happy hour was superb and the bartenders and servers went out of their way to keep us happy. During our stay, the proprietor of the hotel, Jack, spent time with us. He was simply great but may have been sent to another hotel by the owner of this chain of hotels. We looked forward to drinks with Jack and the staff.
The lobby has gift shops that supply a surprising amount of good merchandise at affordable prices. The prices were better than what we found outside the hotel.
One thing impressed us about the ownership of this hotel. They allowed/encouraged children from local orphanages to come to the bar. There they were employed or practiced their English. Although they were supervised, they didn't appear to need any. This hotel is committed to helping the children of Cambodia.
This was the second leg of a three country tour for us. We would go back in a heartbeat. The country and its people are beautiful. This hotel demonstrated it all, right down to Buddhist monks in the lobby with a shrine.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Firefly722
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Pricey for the area (where everything is very cheap), but worth it. The package deal to get a tour guide and driver to see the sites was a big value. Loved my stay, staff was always incredible, room was huge (thanks for the free upgrade) and the restaurant was excellent as well. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ctwino
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay in Siem Reap. The staff is not just friendly but very helpful. They made sure our stay was exceeding our expectations. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The facilities are good and the spa offers all kind of therapies. The hotel gardens makes you feel in a hidden sanctuary away from busy Siem Reap.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Gm-Angkor, Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Roberto F,

thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the TripAdvisor community! It gives us great pleasure to read that we managed to exceed your expectations. It's comments like this that keep us going!

all the best and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon!