“A Must Stay hotel if you are in Cambodia”

Belmond La Residence d'Angkor
Ranked #41 of 337 Hotels in Siem Reap
nz
“A Must Stay hotel if you are in Cambodia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2008

I was recommended to the La Residence by a client who had returned from Cambodia the month before. I was glad I arranged the hotel airport transfer. On arrival outside the terminal I was warmly greeted and taken to their luxury 4wd where the driver had refresher towels and chilled water waiting for me. On the short drive from the airport into Siem Reap he gave me a quick tour of the town and showed me the entrance to the temples and it gave me a good opportunity to gain my bearings. It was a nice touch to start my trip.

The property is very understated from the outside and once you pass through the entrance and across the small water over bridge you are greeted by a beautiful hotel.

Check in was a breeze, I received a quick tour of the hotel, where breakfast was in the am and other facilities.

My room was very large and over looked the pool. The writing desk complete with an iPod player was a nice touch and all rooms have free wireless internet which was great to send the temple photos home at the end of each day.

La Residence has to have one of the better locations and its only a short 10min walk to bar street and all the nightlife and restaurants.

I used one of the hotel preferred Tuk Tuk drivers, Mr Ohda. I am not sure what the usual rates are but I paid him $15 a day for exclusive use. He was at the hotel every morning at 7am waiting for me right and stayed with me until the end of the day when he dropped me back to the hotel from dinner. I recommend him if you feel like having a driver for the day. You can find him outside the entrance to the hotel or ask the doorman for him

Overall my stay at La Residence was wonderful and exceeded my expectations. Its great value for money and I must admit was nice to head back to at the end of a long day trekking the temples.

Pascal the GM made a point of coming over on my first evening to say hello. Its obvious his team enjoy working at the property, everyone was happy and greeting you everywhere so thanks Pascal!

From the bed turn downs complete with slippers waiting, fresh fruit in your room every day, the newspaper hanging on your door in its own woven bag every morning to the oil burners lit with lemon grass for you every evening, the attention to detail is very high.

A must stay property when in Cambodia.

• Liked — Large luxurious rooms, excellent staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank TamanuVanuatu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2008

We stayed at this hotel a few month ago for 4 nights. Our main purpose of this Cambodia trip was of course to enjoy the famous Angkor Wat as part of our honeymoon but this hotel made our stay even more special. The hotel was small and traditional compared to other upper class hotels in Siam Reap and has a welcoming atmosphere which we really liked. We liked the fact the hotel is distanced (still only 5min walk) from the centre of the city and the surroundings of the hotel was very peaceful and quiet. Our room was huge and decorated with traditional materials – which gave us a feeling of being away from home but at the same time it was very comfy. They don’t have a spa treatment room but you can have treatment in your room. Their foot reflexology treatment is just what you need after walking around the ruin! We enjoyed relaxing at the swimming pool and the food was stunning as well. The staff was super attentive and very helpful. If you want to make your trip special, I’d definitely recommend this hotel – worth the money!!

• Liked — Service, Food, Swimming Pool, Bath
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Richmond, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2008

This is my second time spent at thishotel. the !st time in Feb 2008 and now this Nov
I notice the changes made , the pathway is now in pathingstongs, which made it more pedestrian friendly. I enjoyed the new out door sitting area with the new deck,most comforting lounge bed.Its so comforting that I spent a few afternoon reading having a glass of wine, with soothing music , I actually fall asleep.What a good way to wake to another get ready action plan for the letter part of the afternoon. The staff are most helpful. Always ready.The out door BBQ is great,everything is there to made the guest welcome. Good place to call home for a few days.Will definately tell family and friends,that this is a very special place, worth every penny.

• Liked — Very welcoming
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

My husband and I visited Siem Reap between 3-11 October 2008,
as soon as I came across La residence it felt as it was a perfect place for us, we decided to stay there for 5 nights before moving to Amansara; from the moment of initial telephone/email contact to the last minute of our stay we were very happy; we were sad to leave but having made further reservations we had to!

the reservation staff was helpful and soon we were communicating with GM, Pascal,wonderful chap who continuously improves hotel's services!

one of which is hotel's assistance with visa formalities, such a great service for a modest fee, car with the driver was awaiting at the airport, cold towels, luggage whisked away, we were then driven to the hotel, and the hotel's representative was dealing with our visa paper work at the airport! What a wonderful start!
We were not disappointed with remaining 5 nights /6 days at the hotel, it is a lovely , charming place, in a great location close to the King's Palace, and the river, hotel is beautifully presented built in a traditional style with dark wood everywhere, rooms are very comfortable, large bathrooms with large bath tubs, fresh flowers and fruits, bathrobes etc, umbrellas everywhere either to protect from the rain or sunshine!
excellent breakfast with fresh juices/ home made jams;

we loved the upstairs bar, and enjoyed many happy moments during and after their happy hour!
pool is beautifully presented, cold towels, cold fruits or fruit sorbets are just a treat,

every evening candles everywhere, such a wonderful touch!

finally lovely smiling staff everywhere,

we would strongly recommend La Residence to everyone who wants elegance and quality,

perhaps we can now say thank you to all the staff and Pascal for making our stay so special

• Liked — presentation
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LidiaBA
Herts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

Great base for the temples, rooms and pool were fabulous, go there for the baths alone! Only slight downer was the 80s cheesy pop on replay in the bar and restaurant - Ace of Base and Bananarama paled after the third listen...

• Stayed September 2008
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

Excellent hotel for resting up after a hard day's sight-seeing at Angkor Wat. Service faultless. Restaurant expensive but very good food and wine. Our room was a garden view room - spacious even with extra bed for my son, small balcony, large en-suite bathroom and jacuzzi bath! Pool ambience relaxing - lovely place to cool and chill. Nice open-air feel in bar area.

• Liked — Comfortable beds, good food in restaurant
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank swallowtails
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2008

My wife and I stayed in La Residence d'Angkor for 6 nights in May. We loved it and were sad to leave. Across the board the staff were fantastic. Everybody from security guards, porters, grounds people, room cleaners, reception, bar, waiting and shop staff was exceptionally friendly, helpful and courteous.

Unlike other places on our trip there was no expectation for tips. Any given were appreciated and graciously accepted even if only one dollar.

The rooms are well maintained, equipped and finished, very comfortable and spacious. The hot water plumbing is a little quirky but nothing to get upset about. The hotel itself is relatively small and intimate.

Our biggest problem was a rather noisy bullfrog who croaked through the night. When we mentioned it we were given a new room away from the pond immediately without any fuss.

We were also impressed by the fact that although the hotel was being closed for renovations, due to begin the day we left, the professionalism and courtesy of the staff never wained.

The service and ambience in this hotel is better than any I have stayed in.

The restaurant is a little expensive relative to downtown but given the impeccable service this is not a major complaint.

This hotel is a credit to the hotel staff, the manager, Siam Reap and indeed Cambodia. The tourist industry at home and elsewhere would do well to learn from La Residance. We just loved it and were really sad to leave.

• Liked — staff courtesy, helpfulness and friendliness
  • Disliked — nothing really unless you are adverse to noisy frogs
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple