“Excellent value for highly atmospheric resort!”

Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa
Ranked #57 of 376 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We had 3 nights at this hotel while touring Angkor Wat and surrouding temples and think this is absolutely worth considering if you are in Siem Reap. I didn't LOVE the hotel rooms themselves as much as say at the Sofitel or Raffles but the hotel has WAY MORE atmosphere than either of those and for far less of a price. You get the sense of being in an elegant "colonial" hotel with its open air lobby, beautiful landscaping, gorgeous pool and outdoor dining area that sits just over the pool. We had friends staying at the both the Le Meridien and Sofitel, just a few minutes away, and they all wanted to meet at our hotel for drinks because of the lovely ambiance. After seeing their hotels, we understood why! The Le Meridien just feels sterile and the Sofitel though lovely just feels like a fancy hotel without giving you a sense of where you are. The hotel rooms were good sized for the standard room but didn't have the "luxury" sense I typically prefer. They had shower curtains instead of doors and that always makes you feel like you are in a motel. I wish hotels would just do away with curtains! Otherwise, they were perfectly fine and for the price differential, I am calling this a great value for a great smaller hotel if you are in Siem Reap!

Room Tip: I saw one of the suites when they were cleaning and though expensive, they are HUGE and lovely with...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Dear camera1,

Thank you very much for your comments; your review helps us to continuously improve facilities and services where needed.

I have taken note of your comment regarding the shower curtains. We do hope to completely redo our bathrooms in the future as I am not so happy with some of the aspects myself.

The Suites are our pride and joy and not really that dear if one considers the floor space.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments and it would be great to welcome you again should you ever return to Siem Reap.

Regards,

Hanno Stamm

Write a ReviewReviews (2,839)

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Had a very good 6 night stay here. We were very fortunate to have a suite overlooking the gardens - really comfortable room - tastefully decorated in Cambodian style with great space. Well appointed with all required amenities. Loved the pool and the bar and surrounding seating areas are very attractive. Can't help feeling that management need to create some buzz and atmosphere around the property. The doorman, concierge and security were always extremely helpful and friendly. It is certainly an oasis after a long day on the temples but still could do with a bit of activity i feel. Breakfast was good - with wide variety to choose - great fruit and fresh juices!!
Based on discussion with others staying at Raffles, the larger rooms and more appropriate decor and greater value would probably give the Victoria the edge for me.

Room Tip: Garden facing rooms are great - tranquil and cool feeling.

Dear Davidct1,

Thank you very much for your long, and honest, review. We need reviews like yours to see if we are on the right track or if we need to change, or add, our services.

You mentioned the lack of entertainment in particular. Partly because of your comments, we have started to offer an Apsara Dance Show three times a week, at least during the high season. We also have our regular "Thank God its Friday" with free snacks, live music, and Happy Hour. Nevertheless, we have tried to offer a fair bit of entertainment options in the past, with mixed success. Many of our guests head for the temples very early and are likely to be in bed early, too.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments. We at the Victoria would be happy to welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I first attempted to book my stay at Victoria Resort via the website. The website had some issues during this reservation process. The website froze up just as I had hit (Confirm) for the reservation with my Credit Card info. This was of concern at first because the website advertises use of Verisign to protect transaction information. However, the webpage that you enter your CC information on does not start with an address of “https” to show that the information will be encrypted using SSL.

I sent an email request through the website to contacted by the hotel. I was contacted by “Sure”, the assistant reservation supervisor. Ms. Sure was very helpful in securing the reservation and setting up transportation. She also answered many questions that I submitted over the course of months. She was always very polite and welcomed my inquiries. She was also able to book a special reservation for us at the Kuelen II dinner show FRONT ROW!

My wife was very nervous about traveling to Cambodia and did not know what to expect. We landed in the middle of the night so it very dark outside. However, when we were greeted by two men dressed in white and smiles, her anxiety faded as her luggage was taken care of and we were lead to a convertible 1920’s era Citreon Limousine. The slow drive in the night in an open-air vehicle was very romantic. It was a great way to take it all in. We arrived at the Hotel after midnight. 4 staff members greeted us as we arrived at Victoria. We relaxed in the lobby while the staff took care of our check in process and then were given a brief tour on the way to our room.

The room has a great “Old World” feel to it. Dark wood covers the floors, bathroom, and double doors leading out to the balcony. As the person left that had brought our luggage, he put his hands together in a prayer fashion and bowed and expressed his gratitude. This was the “WOW” moment for me. You would never have anyone appear so grateful or give this level of service in the states. We were in for a wonderful change in what we know as the norm in the states. The level of service and smiles and gratitude by every one in this Resort far exceeded anything I had ever encountered anywhere else in States or in Europe.

The next morning we went down to the breakfast area for the breakfast we had pre-paid for. Breakfast starts at 6 a.m. Which is great if you want to get an early start on sight seeing. I decided to book the reservation with the breakfast since it would make our early morning meals so convenient allowing us to get early starts on what we came to see in Cambodia. The breakfast has a huge selection. There is an omelet station, pastries, meats, hash browns, etc. too much to list because the selection is enormous and there is something for everyone no matter what side of the planet you are from. The orange juice is squeezed right into the glasses, so fresh!

My wife and I came down with a stomach bug. The management staff did everything to provide as much comfort as possible. The manager sent water and juices to our room, everything we needed. Mr. Sophea paid several visits to our room to check on us and even offered to make a special meal that would heal the stomach. The special healing soup he made me worked! By the following day we were back out of the room and ready to see more of Cambodia. However, we had missed our reservation to the Kuelen II dinner show. So we asked if it were possible to get reservations for that night. Usually you have to book reservations well in advance for this show, which is known as one of the best. The management staff came to our rescue and was able to confirm reservations for us that night FRONT ROW! The seats were amazing! The restaurant had put a small table of our own right up at the front of the stage. We had the best seats in the house!

Mr. Sophea worked with me to work out a new schedule for my travel itinerary and saw to my every need. He was gracious and eager to please. Thank you Sophea for all of you help!

The Victoria gift shop sold Artisans d’ Angkor materials that were on par with the prices they were offered at the Artisans’ shop. Since each piece is hand crafted, sometimes you can find pieces at Victoria that are not available at the Artisans and Vise Versa.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are off of the ground level giving you great views and no noise.
1  Thank midlifecrsis

Dear midlifecrsis,

I really appreciate your extensive review and am very happy that you obviously had a great stay.

I do apologize for the hiccup with our booking site, it is one of the reasons we will change our entire Victoria site in the near future.

You obviously enjoyed all the aspects of your stay but I would particularly like to thank you for letting me know about the staff that went especially out of the way to make your stay an experience; rest assured that I will follow up and share your kind comments with the persons concerned.

Once again, thank you very much for your praise; trust me that this will motivate all the employees, including myself, to continue to strive to deliver great service!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again in the not too distant future. Until I remain

With the best regards,

Reviewed 13 January 2012

My husband and I spent five days at the Victoria Angkor Resort in November 2011. The stay was amazing!

The hotel is gorgeous, with a fantastic pool that was well made use of after long days touring the temples.

The location is a little out of town... but only a short tuk tuk ride away. (We used Mr Chuon Chanthol, chanthol88_usa@yahoo.com or + (855) 12 60 52 83 to get us around town and out to the temples - very reliable and friendly)

The rooms were lovely, bathroom a little outdated, but the rest of the hotel and the service more than made up for it!!

Delicious breakfast buffets - complete with bubbles available for those who want to start the day with a "champagne" breakfast!

Every evening there is happy hour where selected drinks are half price and complimentary canapés are on offer.

There are a choice of restaurants from snacks and light meals at the bar, right through to an award winning french restaurant.

The location is not far from the temples (about 20mins by Tuk Tuk) and for those rising early to catch the sunrise a small breakfast buffet is put out in the lobby.

This hotel and the amazing temples made Siem Reap the highlight of our holiday!

PS: For those interested in photography don't forget to check out the John McDermott Gallery within walking distance of the hotel!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathandco

Dear Cathandco,

Thank you very much for your review, my colleagues and I are happy to hear that you obviously enjoyed your stay thoroughly.

We do hope to see you back at the Victoria Angkor should you ever pass through Siem Reap again.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

We stayed there for 4nights with our family of 5. When we got there, they had already organised our 2 rooms to be right next door to each other! The pool was abosolutely beautiful! The temperature was so nice that we didn't even think about testing our feet in the water and jumped straight into it! The buffet breakfast was also very nice! Especially the fresh fruits and the order made noodle soups were a start off to the day. The service was also really great, the beds were made twice a day. Once in the morning and another in the evening- we felt the professionalism. The staff were very friendly and they were always smiling as they greeted the guests. The small complimentary gifts everyday were really nice!! the first day was a small tin of monkey balm, the second was a package of black pepper, third was a small cambodian keychain and the fourth day, my personal favorite, was a fairtrade paper bracelet which i'll bound to keep forever. My stay was amazing and i'm sure you'll be satisfied as well!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mina w

Dear mina w,

On behalf of the staff and myself, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write your review. It gives us great pleasure to hear that you and your family had a great stay and we hope to see you back at the Victoria Angkor in the none too distant future.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed here in October for 4 nights. The hotel is a tuk tuk ride away from the town which in itself is fun. Our inter connecting rooms faced the street which were quite dark but comfortable. I would recommend choosing a pool view, for convenience and light if I was to visit again. The service was hit and miss, it was mainly the concierge who never seemed to have the correct information for trips or were very late getting back to us with information.

The pool is lovely and there is always a pool attendant nearby with small complimentary refreshments. Our children used the kids club, which was pretty basic but adequate. The staff were very nice.

The breakfast was nice, the restaurant overlooks the pool.

We did not have dinner here.

We moved from here to The Sofitel and I much preferred this hotel which is cosy and quite charming.

Room Tip: Pool view, ground floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SG1912

Dear SaffronRose,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write your review. Whilst you obviously enjoyed your stay, I will follow up and find out what happened to the Concierge service. They certainly have all the information at hand, they have all been working here for years, and they certainly should have gotten back to you without delay.

Again, I apologize for this lapse in service but do hope that you would consider the Victoria Angor again should you come back to Siem Reap.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Stayed 2 nights here in late decemeber. Very nice ambiente with colonial charm.
It is not highest standard on several levels but nevertheless, fine. We asked for
twin beds, it was a nightmare to get it. We booked deluxe and they wanted to give us
a cheaper twin beds rooms as the hotel seemed nearly fully booked. They told us that
some preferences at reservations will not transmitted if you book at hotels.com and/or agoda.com. Well, that is not my problem. If this is a problem, they need to talk to them and not to me. Sorry, this must be improved.
Breakfast buffet is o.k.
Air-con from neigbouh rooms are too loud, at least in my view.
The staff are all very friendly but the level is far away from Raffles where we stayed the other 2 days in Siem Reap.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank topofthetop

Dear topofthetop,

Thank you very much for your review. I do apologize however for the fact that you did not appear to have a very pleasant stay. I am sorry that we were not aware of the Twin bed request, this did not come through in your booking. As we were full during your stay, we did indeed struggle to accommodate your request.

We certainly do not compare ourselves to the Raffles, certainly not as far as the room rates are concerned; I'll be the first to admit that they are in a different category.

Once again, my apologies for a less than perfect stay.