The best ice-cream available poolside at the Victoria Angkor Hotel and Spa is the home-made ginger and black sesame, and while you eat it you can ponder on the building. The hotel’s website talks of its “graceful colonial architecture of the 1930's”, but although no effort has been spared to give the place the feel of a colonial establishment, it’s likely to be a modern reconstruction. When the travel writer Norman Lewis was in Siem Reap in 1950 he said there was only one hotel, and he named it, and it wasn’t the Victoria.
Having picked that very small nit, it has to be said that the Victoria is as good a hotel as you’ll find in Siem Reap, or anywhere else in Cambodia. The colonial ambience – the dark wood, the pillared external galleries, the ceiling fans – is faultlessly done. The bedrooms are large and comfortable, and the public spaces almost all open to the outside world, so that any breath of air that’s going wafts through. The ceilings in the lobby are a bit low, which makes for a certain dimness; you don’t have the echoing marble lobbies of some other places, but that’s the colonial style for you, and it suited us very well.
The breakfast buffet is as good as any we’ve seen, and probably slightly more impressive than the dinners, but the hotel also has Le Bistrot de Siem Reap (“finest French restaurant in town”), and failing that there is plenty of eating choice in the town itself. The staff are helpful, polite, and good-natured without being fawning. The habit of leaving a little gift on the pillow when turning down the beds (a little bracelet, a Cambodian kroma) is particularly nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, characterized by its typical colonial architecture, features 130 rooms overlooking the salted swimming pool and its tropical garden, or the magnificent Royal Garden. The 10 suites of 73m2 are each one decorated in its proper style. They offer the comfort of a living room, an outside terrace, a king size bed and a big bathroom with bathtub and separated shower. The Deluxe Room of 38m2, overlooking the pool, and Superior, with a view on the Royal Garden, can be chosen with a king size or a twin bed. Meeting place for local artists, retreat for diplomats, nature lovers, writers, romantic tourists or nostalgic from a dream time, the Victoria Angkor is an arty and authentic hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Fastbooking, Southall Travel, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria Angkor Resort And Spa
- Victoria Angkor Hotel Siem Reap