“great hotel”

Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa
Ranked #54 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Really nice hotel , colonial style , i stayed there for 3 nights , service was nice and the cambodian staff was really friendly .
the swimming pool in the center of the hotel is really nice .

the small gift we receive every day in the room was great

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Highly reccomend! Grounds are beautiful. Loved the French colonial style which felt very quaint and boutiquey. We stayed over Christmas and were there for the stunning Christmas Eve gala the staff put on. The staff are so wonderful- they all make every effort to make sure you're having a good time. Can't say enough good things about them. We absolutely loved the guide they set up for us to take us around town- we ended up booking him for another day. Staff all speak excellent English. All the food we ate there was fantastic, including the breakfast buffet.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at the Victoria Angkor Wat at the recommendation of our tour company. The hotel is small, but elegant. The staff is totally solicitous. Our room was very comfortable. The bathroom is spacious and complete with all types of amenities. My family enjoyed massages at the spa. You could partake of half-priced drinks during happy "hour" which lasted until 7p.m., along with great free hor d'oeuvres. Unlike other hotels we stayed at in Vietnam during our visit to SE Asia, I could turn on CNBC and stay abreast of the market. The pool is enormous and a great place to relAx after touring Angkor Wat and Angkor Thomas. The French restaurant is a Trip Advisor favorite, but we won't try it until tomorrow night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

had only 6 nights in Siem Riep, but we enjoyed and wanted to stay longer.
Employees are very friendly, the hotel itself has a nice colonial style to it and was not very busy so we felt really relaxed. The suite we had was "Japonaise" and was the perfect size for the 3 of us.
Great location and better quality/value for money than other hotels we visited in the same town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Nikolas41,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write your review.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and do hope that we will be able to welcome you at the Victoria Angkor in the future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

As other have said this is a lovely hotel , the pool is welcome after a hot days sight seeing, restaurant & bar have lovely outside patio areas. So always somewhere restful to sit. The bar had lovely lunchtime snacks & a great selection of cocktails. Breakfast well you were spoilt for choice could even have a glass of champagne. Two restaurant to coose from at night both with a good selection, if you wanted wine it was not overpriced. I stayed for five nights after a three week Indochina tour. We were a small group but I was a solo traveller if that makes sense, I did have a problem with the room I was allocated ( I find this can happen if you are solo despite having paid full supplement) it was that bad for once I complained to reception, full marks to them they sorted it out very well to my advantage & it was difficult as this is a very busy hotel. So thank you very much for your help. The rooms are large with everything you could wish for in them. Staff excellent & friendly. The hotels in Siem Reap are being built everywhere now so always plenty of places to stay, but I would recommend this hotel & certain ally return. Lovely hotel,people & country.

Room Tip: Try the Jnr Suites. Fab
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Lola008,

Thank you very much for your extensive review.

I take it that you had a great stay, I do apologize if you were not happy with your room at first but it would appear that this was handled to your satisfaction.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback and I do hope to see you again in the none to distant future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Spent Thanksgiving at this hotel for 4 nights.
One night we had evening with manager and staff at the pool. It was so much fun & got to meet the chef/staff who were serving beautiful canapes, etc, drinks with ice sculpture & could chat with other guests.
Every night, at bedsite, cute little gifts, such as peppercorns, doll key chains & a fantastic recipe book-always a surprise.
Each evening we had entertainment, folk singers to Apsara dancing show.
The breakfast buffet was the best I tasted anywhere in travelling SE Asia.
The staff were so welcoming and made us feel pampered and at home.
The gift store had great choices of local items.
Location is central, so can walk easily to downtown area or take a tuk-tuk-which was more fun!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear zebra70,

I would like to thank you for your very positive review, it will be a pleasure to share this with my colleagues.

I wish you all the best for 2014 and do hope to see you at the Victoria Angkor again.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I do not advise tourists to stay here for the reason that this hotel is a fraud. This 10 year old hotel was built to appear to be an old French colonial hotel, right down to the poorly operating elevators. But beyond its "old" feel, I found nothing appealing. (1) There was no doorman when we arrived so we had to carry in our bags; (2) The receptionist was cold; (3) The rooms at $260 per night are tiny with two single beds; (4) the staff appears to be angry and service is generally poor; (5) the breakfast buffet is in a crowded, stuffy area; (6) the pool is sandwiched into the center of the hotel; (7) the hotel forced us to attend their New Years Gala Dinner at $110 per person, even for kids; (8) there are a lot of mosquitoes so one cannot sit on the balcony. There are a lot of cheaper, friendlier and more spacious hotels in Siem Reap -- do not be fooled by this Disneyland Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank robertli1234

Dear robertli1234,

I would like to thank you for your review, even if you were very unhappy with your stay.

Whilst I guess I cannot really compensate you for what you perceived to be wrong with this hotel, I would like to address your points nevertheless:

Calling the hotel a "fake hotel for fake colonials" does neither the hotel nor our guests justice. We never claim anywhere that the hotel was built during colonial times. It is certainly true that the property does not cater to all tastes; there are plenty of generic hotels in Siem Reap that might suit some. I can assure you though that the vast majority of our guests like our style, as evidenced by other reviews on trip advisor.

I am sorry if there was no doorman when you arrived. We had a rush of arrivals, it is the peak season; but a minute's patience would have been enough for someone to look after you.

I have been here for 5 years and not once has one of our guests commented about staff being "angry" or service being poor. I do apologize if that was your impression but, once again, comments on this page to not bear this out.

Again, most guests comment positively on our breakfast; I do not quite see where we can improve.

I am afraid there is not much we can do about the pool's location. At the risk of repeating myself: it would appear that the vast majority of our guests are very happy with both the pool and it's location.

I must object to you stating that we "forced" you to attend the Gala dinner. Yes, as is practice all over the world, the dinner is compulsory. After all, we bring in the best show in Cambodia, along with exquisite food; we need to be sure that we have guests attending. You could have chosen not to stay with us (though virtually all hotels had compulsory meals). You also did not mention that your children did receive discounts.

We do fumigate the hotel once a week. However, we are in South East Asia and mosquitoes are a fact of life, even in Singapore.

Once again, I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations. It is the first time I have heard this property called "Disneyland" but I will go with the wishes of the vast majority of our guests and continue the way we are.