A group of four of us recently stayed at this hotel as part of a cruise package with Pandaw, a company which provides high-end travel between Ho Chi Minh and Siem Reap on beautiful boats which are replicas of the old Irriwaddy steamers from Burma. We were doing the down-river trip, so stayed at the Victoria Angkor at the very beginning of our trip. We arrived on Dec 24, having been told when we booked that there was an additional charge of USD90.00 for a Christmas gala buffet, although we weren't told exactly when this would be or what it involved. I was a bit unhappy at signing up for something without knowing what it involved and eventually emailed just before we left, asking for some more information. I did in fact receive a reply, although I didn't access emails until after our amazing Christmas buffet ... more of this later.
Our side-by-side rooms were superb, very large, upstairs with balconies looking out over the pool. The bed was enormous, very comfortable, and the general amenities in the room were very impressive - lovely furniture, dear little gifts on the pillow at night, very effective aircon, etc.
The bathroom was also spacious, but I must agree with someone else's comment that the shower had a mind and life of its own! Every hotel we stayed in in Cambodia and Vietnam used these ridiculous hand-held things that are meant to perch on the wall to provide what most people would recognise as a shower - oh to be so lucky! The first one of us to use the shower ended up spraying the whole bathroom, as well as most of the entry passage, as the shower head threw itself in a frenzy around the bath like a demented snake!!! We never did master it, having to basically hold the thing on the wall with one hand while showering. But never mind, this was the only criticism I have of this hotel.
I can't comment precisely on value for money, as we booked the hotel as part of the Pandaw package, but even at the rack rate I found on the hotel website, it looks like pretty good value to me. The breakfast was superb, and in keeping with the festive time, we drank champagne with our bacon and eggs! We lunched one day at the hotel (also included in the package), and the food was excellent.
And so, back to the Christmas buffet. The stunning pool and its surroundings had been dressed with fairy lights and candles, the chairs and tables all covered in gold and red cloth with beautiful flowers, and the staff all decked out in very Western Christmas hats, etc. The food was unbelievable - the most extensive and elaborate buffet I have ever seen in my life. There were oysters the size of teacups, along with a huge range of sushi and sashimi, a whole suckling pig, every salad you have ever dreamed of, ham, turkey, excellent Cambodian dishes, cheeses, amazing desserts, cakes and patisserie, and so much more that I can't even remember. It was well worth the money, and proved to be a lovely way to celebrate Christmas, in another place and in a different way.
I didn't try the swimming pool in the end, but it certainly looked lovely, and the way that the hotel is arranged around the pool, with lovely open air spaces and calm reflecting pools, makes for a delightful ambience.
We spent 2 days touring the Angkor complex, also part of the package, returning at night to our comfortable rooms where we could all 4 of us easily rest up on one of our balconies overlooking the pool, before venturing out on the town for an authentic Cambodian meal at one of the many excellent restaurants in Pub Street, just USD1 away in a tuk-tuk.
Once the shower heads are replaced with something more 20th century at least, this hotel would seem to me to be pretty close to heaven!
Overall, I rate this hotel very highly, for quality of amenities and service, for location and ambience, and for providing us with a once-in-a-lifetime Christmas experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, characterized by its typical colonial architecture, features 130 rooms overlooking the salted swimming pool and its tropical garden, or the magnificent Royal Garden. The 10 suites of 73m2 are each one decorated in its proper style. They offer the comfort of a living room, an outside terrace, a king size bed and a big bathroom with bathtub and separated shower. The Deluxe Room of 38m2, overlooking the pool, and Superior, with a view on the Royal Garden, can be chosen with a king size or a twin bed. Meeting place for local artists, retreat for diplomats, nature lovers, writers, romantic tourists or nostalgic from a dream time, the Victoria Angkor is an arty and authentic hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Southall Travel, Fastbooking, Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria Angkor Hotel Siem Reap
- Victoria Angkor Resort And Spa