“Good average Hotel”

Ranked #304 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Sydney
“Good average Hotel”
Reviewed 3 December 2006

Clean and comfortable room. Tuk Tuks at front entrance.We had excellent guide. Hotel arranged tour of ruins which was excellent. Guide on that day eas very professional and educated.
Would recommend

• Liked — clean and friendly
  • Disliked — en suite
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Marc2455

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
California, USA
Reviewed 28 September 2006

We stayed at this hotel in mid September. The rooms are huge! All wood furniture with mini fridge, safe, and excellent air conditioning. Its probably not the top of the line luxurious experience that some might expect..but it's still a pretty classy place for an average American. They have a nice pool with comfy chairs, a hospitable staff (opens the doors every time and hands you a yummy drink upon first arrival). The location is on the main strip of Siem Reap, next to bunch of other hotels and restaurants.
Most hotels in Siem Reap are built within the last 5 years, so conditions are pretty good.
For someone who is use to budget hotels in the states and Europe, this seemed like a good deal.

Have fun in Cambodia.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank amnesiac
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 23 March 2006

I was disappointed in my stay at Princess Angkor. After reading about the "friendliest staff" I had high expectations, but the warm welcome we received on check-in was not followed up with any kind of service. At breakfast I had to beg for a cup of coffee (forget about milk) and although they claimed to serve food and drink at the pool, we couldn't track anyone down to serve us. Also, there was nobody monitoring the pool so there weren't enough clean towels, just a bunch of dirty ones laying around. My room as well as my parents' was lacking hot water 2 out of 3 mornings and the hotel staff didn't fix it when requested, only 12 hours later when we returned after a long day and my husband had to force them to do something about it. I guess it was okay for the price, but I had higher expectations and they were not met.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank amonole

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Baltimore
Reviewed 13 December 2005

We arrived at the Siem Reap airport which is a very small facility. We had obtained our visa ahead and therefore didn't have to wait in line at the airport but it really is not a big deal since the planes are small and only arrive one at a time.

We had arranged for a car and guide and were met at the airport. Our hotel, the Princess Angkor, has been reviewed here recently so I won't say much except to say it is fair but acceptable. I don't think there are any "world class" 5 star hotels in Siem Reap yet but the nice ones are adequate. The Princess Angkor has all the amenities and the staff is very helpful and freindly. We especially enjoyed the pool and the massages (1 hour, full body massage with oil for $20).

We had a local guide and driver who were great. They spoke English and were very knowledgable about the temples. They also knew when & where to go to avoid the tour buses and crowds. I suggest you read up ahead of time about which sites other than Angkor Wat you want to see. There are about 200 sites in the Siem Reap area. We read ahead but didn't appreciate the magnitude nor diversity until afterwards when we read more.

You can go to the sites on your own but it is a little disorganized. It is no problem getting a car & guide for about $60 per day.

Cambodia is still fairly primitive. They suffered quite a lot during the Pol Pot regime and are just now trying to build up their tourist industry. The sites are mostly under UNESCO supervision but the Cambodians are trying, too. The restroom facilities are new, clean and conveniently and frequently located for tourists. While there are sidwalk venders, they are not permiteed past a line on the side of walkways to and from the temples so it is easy & pleasant if you want to avoid being hasseled. On the other hand, they have some interesting things and are really nice people.

The city of Siem Reap is more like a village. There is a modest amount of construction but dirt roads and sidewalks are not uncommon. The people are very friendly and there was no indications of crime. We felt very safe at all times.

While we didn't drink the tap water, bottled water and beer is plentiful and cheap. By the way, the use of the US dollar is very acceptable everywhere. Also, the Thailand Baht is used as well as the Cambodian currency so you don't really have to change money.

The food is also excellent. It's like a mild form of Thai food. We ate everything and didn't have a problem but we are cautious about uncooked things.

Most of the temple sites have restaurants nearby which don't look like much but they are very good.

There's not much night life but then again, if your touring the temples, you will be tired.

We also visited the floating fishing village and went on a boat ride on lake & river Tonle Sap. It is very intersting and I'd recommend it for a break from temple ruins.

All in all, we had a very good time. The temples are extraordinary.

15 Thank JayBL
Virginia
Reviewed 14 June 2005

The physical facilities at the Princess Angkor Hotel are very acceptable. My room was well appointed and comfortable, and the pool and dining room are more than adequate. What made an impression on me during my recent stay was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Not "have a nice day" kind of friendliness, but rather something much more genuine and sincere. Staff were eager to strike up a conversation with guests (although they are not intrusive in any way) and went out of their way to be helpful. I encountered one minor glitch during my stay -- my laundry wasn't picked up by the housekeeping staff. I brought this to the attention of the hotel receptionist, and not only was the laundry picked up immediately, but it was also returned within two hours.

• Stayed June 2005
14 Thank Donald R
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 30 December 2004

I stayed here 3 nights in Nov 2004. It's between the airport and the main city proper. Not much to walk to in the immediate vicinity, and you wouldn't want to anyway...take the tuk tuks.

The hotel can easily arrange guides to any temple areas. If you already have a group tour arranged, you may want to consider doing a separate tour anyways to the far-off temples which your group tour may not include.

The pool area was very nice, but the pool was a bit small. The rooms were the equivalent of a Holiday Inn in the US. Never in my life have I seen such a wide selection of TV channels from their satellite in a hotel room...there will be something to please anyone (including feeds from Spanish TV, Dutch, US, Thai, Malaysia, Japan...)

Breakfast is free in the restaurant. Unfortunately for other meals, the restaurant prices are ridiculous, and the food wasn't terribly good. Take the "tuk-tuk" for a dollar and go into town for a $4 meal.

The front desk will change money, as you'll definitely want smaller bills (US $1s and $5s). No ATMs in Cambodia! Bring enough cash or else find one of the banks for a cash advance off a credit card.

41 Thank sdjimbob