“Fantastic budget hotel”

Ranked #373 of 489 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Yorkshire
“Fantastic budget hotel”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights getting over jet lag while I was on my way to a charity project and then alone for 3 nights to explore prior to my flight onwards. It's a bit of a walk out of the centre but it's very easy to get tuk-tuks there/back.
Very good value, I had a spacious double room with the added luxury of hot water - having not had a hot shower in 3 weeks I coughed up the extra few dollars for hot water.
The staff were really friendly and helpful with advice on getting about.
The restaurant served good food - the fruit pancakes and fruit shakes were particular favourites with my group. I really enjoyed my time there and couldn't recommend it enough. I've paid a lot more for 'budget' hotels in asia and this is still the best.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Laura W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed here about 5 years ago and I remember thinking highly of it back then so I was excited to return for another week here whilst passing through on my way to Vietnam.

The actual guest house is pretty large, the rooms are spacious and it is kept clean. The building itself is large, open and airy, which is refreshing in the heat and humidity of Cambodia.

Tuk tuk drivers are outside if you need them, but they never hassle you, equally the reception doesn't try to force any tours or bus tickets etc.. on you.

The Restaurant area seems to be a communal area for a number of guest house staff to sit and watch TV for a large part of the day, whilst this isn't a negative in itself it invariably means when you are looking to order some food you have to distract someone from the TV which can be uncomfortable and doesn't make you feel like a valued guest rather a hindrance.

There is a marked difference between the maintenance of the fan rooms and the A/C rooms. In the Fan room we stayed for about 5 nights and not once were we offered clean towels, sheets or for the room to be cleaned or even the bin to be emptied, there were a number of ants on the bed and around the bathroom and the window was facing the wall of another building and there was no TV.
In the AC room things were very different, new towels were put in the room daily, the bed was made up daily, room and bathroom were very clean, the window looked outside and a TV was included, Excellent!

One of the highlights of this guesthouse from my previous visit was the fact that all the rooms (AC anyway) centred around a large garden area in the middle of the guest house, there was something very pleasant about opening your door to lush green plants, the sound of birds and the site of flowers. Unfortunately it appears this has been removed and instead there sits a large empty space of soil and nothing more and it gives the guest house a depressing unloved vibe. I have been told that this is going to be turned back into the garden I once saw.....so here's hoping.

I think currently this is an average guesthouse, but it has the potential to be a great one, if the management can perhaps move the TV out of the restaurant area to solve the issues in regards to service (which have been mentioned in these reviews a few times), try and strike a balance between the servicing/Maintenance of the Fan rooms and A/C rooms and sort out the large and somewhat neglected garden area in the centre then I think this could be a real gem in Siem Reap.

I recommend this place, (well the A/C rooms at least) and I hope things pick up soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LewisTheCritique
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have been to Siem Reap twice and both times I stayed at Smileys Guesthouse. This is a family run place where they make all the food and can help you with a range of services and help. From all the places I stayed at between being in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam this place takes the cake. For $15 you can get a room with A/C and hot water plus if you want 3 beds in one room. It is a great value for money place as the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and they supply you with towels and whatnot. The food is not included in your stay (breakfast is not either) but it is well worth your while eating at their little restaurant in the courtyard. The food is to DIE FOR. that is not an exaggeration because it's the best food i had on my trip. I recommend the pumpkin soup because I literally went to heaven eating it and the club sandwich! Also the chocolate pancakes are definitely worth a try. They also have a brother guesthouse is phenom penh which is fantastic as well. The food is just as good as Siem Reap and the rooms are much more modern and to be honest the bathrooms are a thousand times nicer. For the same price it is worth staying at.

I love Smileys and I will happily stay there again. It is close to the center of town and tuk tuks are easy to get from either the street or the men who work at Smileys. They can organise day trips to Angkor Wat or help out with general advice. The one thing I should say is that the computers are really slow but there are plently of internet cafes around the place that are dirt cheap. Im talking 50c for an hour. Also.. go to angkor wat bar on pub street and you are guaranteed a great night!

Room Tip: Maybe try and get a room which does not face the front of the guesthouse as there is alot of noise i...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Delz18
Surat Thani, Thailand
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I stayed at Smiley's for almost a week while I was in Siem Reap. You can't beat it for $5 USD/ night ($15, I think, for A/C and hot water). It's family run and the staff is super nice. They have two computers with free internet (a bit slow), good food at their restaurant, and it feels more like you're in an old, high end, hotel rather than a cheap guesthouse. Its also only a 10 minute walk or $1 tuk-tuk ride to the night market and Pub Street.

Room Tip: I only paid $5 USD/ night for a good size room with a full bed, fan, and private bathroom. There is...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Orange City, Iowa
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I've stayed in budget hotels in Thailand, China, and Cambodia, and this is the best budget hotel that I've stayed in. This was a school group, and we had single, double, triple, and quad rooms. My single room had a double bed (excellent mattress: like memory foam, that was an amazing surprise), air conditioning, older 13" TV (worked fine) with local cable TV including CNN and about 35 other channels. The room was very clean: shiny, ceramic tile floor. All our rooms (group rate) were very reasonable; under $20.

Bathroom has on-demand heater: took a bit to figure out to press the button which turns on the shower and then the heater comes on for hot water. Like many Asian bathrooms, the whole bathroom gets wet, so wear the (provided) slippers.

Location is about 12 minutes walk from the Night market, or 15 minutes from the old town market (or take a Tuk Tuk for a couple dollars). Seem quite secure, and the (family-owned) staff was very friendly and helpful. Restaurant was very good: $2.50. Didn't eat other meals there.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room B5, which is shown in pictures. Building B is newer, but building A is well-maintai...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank blawrensen
Chiang Mai
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We stayed in the Smiley Guesthouse for 7 nights and only that long because one of us got sick. First of all, the rooms are really nice, big and have a comfortable feel. We saw two rooms because we had to move. In our first one, the tv didn't work any more because of the construction (every morning from 10-12, then long tv break, no working in the afternoon...) they had going on in another room. I guess they didn't realize that it was because of that. We told them, but they only offered us a new room the next day. So we had to move after 2-3 days. Pack all our stuff, move to another room. No sorry, no nothing. Just a 1$ more expensive room ("Room has fridge, so you have to pay more"). We lived with that because it was still only 12$ for a/c, tv, fridge but cold water. Hot water would be 15$, but you don't really need it in Siem Reap in March. The cold water was acutally always very warm - WHEN there was water pressure. One day we didn't have water anymore, so they flooded the whole bathroom to clean the pipes with brown, dirty water. After the water turned clear again, the guy just left - with the bathroom still totally dirty from the rust in the pipes. We asked him if he could clean it, and he was really surprised that we wanted him to clean up the mess. He did reluctantly, and left us with a half-dirty bathroom. Ok, lived with that and turned over the key the next day to have the total room cleaned (now we stayed here for about 6 days). We hung out the sign "Please clean room" and left for the temples. Came back: Room of course wasn't clean. We asked for new towels then, and the girl at the counter chatting on facebook said somebody will bring us new ones. After 30 minutes we asked again because we really wanted to get a shower, and she said, that the cleaning lady isn't there right now. So we asked if there is any way we can get a clean towel, and all of a sudden she got up and gave us new ones... She seemed really annoyed to have been disturbed. And talking about disturbed: When ordering breakfast or dinner in the restaurant, we could be lucky if we were heard, because the whole crew sits in front of the tv all day. They don't even start right now with preparing your order, when they want to finish something on tv. All the time, we had the feeling that we were disturbing them in their every-day-life by being guests in their guesthouse. Food was ok, but it was always a hassle to get it. Once, one girl even talked on the phone while taking our order and didn't listen...
The wifi didn't really work as it was supposed to.
I know, we are still in Cambodia and we have to deal with a couple of things differenty than in Europe. But we travel for 4 month now in South East Asia and this was the worst service ever. We can live with broken things in our room, with food not as good and bad tv reception. No worries - but please: At least even apologize and be friendly! ThatÄs all!

There was one highlight in the guesthouse: Our driver to the temples. He was VERY friendly and always observant and helpful. The best service in the guesthouse. If he hadn't been there, we would have moved a couple of days earlier. He even sometimes brought us the menu to order food (normally you had to get it yourself).

So, if you want to stay there, you should know, that the rooms are nice, the food is ok, but the service is the worst.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We had a lovely room for about $10; unlike many budget rooms in SE Asia it looked as though a bit of thought had gone into the decor, rather than just being furnished with cast-offs from someone's grandma. The restaurant was in a lovely partly open-air garden setting with big wicker chairs which were perfect for relaxing in the shade after a hard day's sightseeing.

Some of the staff weren't that helpful but it didn't really detract from our visit. We hired push-bikes for local trips for $1.50 a day and they were fine.

We discovered when we went out in the evening that the guest house is next door to a brothel, but nobody bothered us.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple