“Skip Smiley's” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smiley's Guesthouse

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Smiley's Guesthouse
Ranked #388 of 500 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
“Skip Smiley's”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

I've been living in Asia for the past 4 years or so, and I've done my fair bit of traveling around SE Asia while staying in cheap hotels and guesthouses. But Smiley's takes the cake for being the worst place I've stayed.

It's out of the way from the city center. So, you'll be hiring a Tuk tuk or motorbike anytime you want to go to pub street of the night markets. It's down a dark alley with several shady men who are either pimps or body guards for several prostitutes who are standing right in front of the guesthouse. If you're alone, be careful.

The staff are also very rude. When I checked in I asked for an air conditioned room, but it wasn't working. As I was only staying for the day I didn't mention it to the front desk until I was checking out the next morning. When I asked for a reduced price because of the no air conditioning, they said "No, you asked for no air conditioning." It was a lie because they were asking me to pay for the air conditioned price. I told them they were wrong, and they accused me of lying because "It's so cold now. No one asks for air conditioning." Their definition of "cold" is 28 degrees C (83 F) during the day.

They cheated me out of the prince for the cheaper room. They also started yelling when I told them they were wrong and that I would be leaving a poor review on trip advisor.

So, in short, skip Smiley's guesthouse. There's plenty of other better options for guesthouses in Siem Reap. There's a reason all the most recent reviews for Smiley's have been poor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
bath
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

This was the most digusting place I stayed at in SE Asia so far, I will spare you the details but believe me when I say disgusting. When I asked the staff to clean the bathroom (as it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while) they only cleaned the floor eventhough I specifically told them what needed cleaning (which did not incl the floor). The rooms are very old and dedperately need refurbishing.

• Stayed January 2014

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

The staff was rude to us upon arrival. We had arranged our room in advance at a set price and when we arrived they acted like we were crazy. We also had a horrible experience with the tuk tuk driver. DO NOT USE THE HOSTELS DRIVER!! There are much kinder and more reasonable drivers on the street. The driver at the hostel told us that he couldn't fit us all in one tuk tuk because of a law against foreigners in Cambodia and tried to rip us off for a day trip to Angkor Wat. He was very unpleasant. The food at the hostel is overpriced and takes a long time to prepare. There are definitely better options in Siam Reap for backpackers, this wouldn't be my first choice if I was to return..

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

When I first went to Smiley's (some thee years ago) it was a very different place than it is today.
Instead of being greeted with a friendly smile etc you are now met by a very surly/aggressive female receptionist.
The rooms with their leaking sinks still remain. However, the price has increased considerably. On my last visit I was offered a box fan room without tv for 10 dollars.
The dogs are still a problem as is the cockerel.
The food, while always being mediocre has hit rock bottom.
This downward trend seems to stem from two things. Firstly, the ( Mr Smiley him.self) having passed away and secondly, the opening of the Smiley hotel in Phnom Penh which, I assume their better staff went to.
It is a real shame about this place. It used to be a real nice hide away.
There are much nicer, cheaper and accessible rooms in town.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Steve A
Ko Chang, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

SUMMARY:
For sure the worst stay on our three month trip. We stayed in hostels in Australia, campsites in NZL, jungle cabins at Sumatra and Hotels in Vietnam and Thailand. Even the budget guesthouse in Siem Reap, where we stayed before for half money, was much better. We would never go to Smileys again.

good news:

We slept fantastic because the bed was excelent.
Coffee is served with fresh milk and muesli is delicious.
You reach the Old Market area within a 5-10 minutes walk.

bad news:

CLEAN? The room was cleaned one morning (on demand) but after this there was the same stuff in our bathroom as the day before when we checked in, a shaver and an empty shampoo-folie. All in all: for the most expensive room (30 USD) the bathroom is small and shabby and not worth the money.

HOT WATER? Yes, there is hot water but not very much. We were used not to care about hot water because you don’t realy need it. But in this case it was the volume of water which was provided, or better to say not provided: water volume was much to low.

FREE WIFI? Never in our room because the signal is to low. When you are lucky, in the lobby. But sometimes the router gets too hot so that he has to be removed for half an hour or number of users is to large.

FREE PICK UP? We got none. We had to pay the tuktuk-driver.

FREE SAFE DEPOSIT BOXES? There are none of those boxes. If you want to leave e.g. your notebook it would be stored at the managers office. But if you come back late there is no manager. You have to carry your iPad when you want to get sure that it is safe and at any time available.

TV? Yes, there is one in your room. But it is neither a „free large screen“, nor an acceptable quality which is send out.

GARDEN („Eye-pleasing environment ... is kept immaculately clean at all times“)? If you don’t mind the empty plastic bottles, the smokes, full rubbish-bins, sleeping staff and a used teeth-brush, it could be nice.

LAUNDRY SERVICE? Yes, there is one. It costs only 2USD per Kilo. Ten meters outside the door you get it for 1USD. And you don’t get your cloth back well cleaned. Some of our cloth looked worse than before and some of them were simply gone.

BALCONY („Relax on the balcony and watch the sun go down“)? On the balcony is no chair because there is not enough space. But you can see the sun go down at about 4pm. But bring your sun glasses otherwhile you get blind because you have to look over some roofs in the neightbourhood with more altitude.

RESTAURANT? We had lunch on the fist day which was average priced. Quality was not better than acceptable. Butter at breakfast on the second day was used by an early-bird-guest before but they swapped it on request.

STAFF? The name of the guesthouse is not their program. In Cambodia we got hundreds of smiles from everyone but not during our stay in this guesthouse. As in many reviews mentioned befor we felt as „disturbers of family life“, too.

Room Tip: Go to an other hotel or guesthouse. Prepare your stay in Siem Reap especially in peak season. Have a...