“No Smiles Here Anymore” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #387 of 500 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
London
“No Smiles Here Anymore”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed for one night as I arrived late and was desperate.

$15 for an aircon room on the ground floor.

The bed was really comfy and I had a great sleep. Also there were no mossies in my room and the small TV worked fine.

The staff were terrible giving you dirty looks as you walk around. I had a weird feeling that the place is haunted as just thinking about the place again sends a shiver up my spine! Maybe it was just the bad feeling in the air from the staff. Also my bathroom was very dirty behind the door.

The only reason I don't give 1 star is that the bed was very comfy and the TV worked. Also $15 is ok for an aircon room in the high season.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I had to stay and eat at Smiley's because I was sick with stomach problems. Even though I would ask for the most basic kinds of food, such as chicken soup or steamed chicken with rice, they would not give me a discount and charge me the regular price ($4). They have this system where your have to write anything you order in a notebook - one member of staff, a man in his late 30's, often harshly reminded me to do so as soon as I took something from the fridge. They say Cambodians are nice; I guess this is an exception.

• Stayed February 2014

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We had a basic room with a small bed on the ground floor which was quite small and felt crammed.Albeit it was clean we only stayed on night as it was quite loud due to other mostly younger very noisy backpackers coming home early in the morning.The room was also too small for us.If you stay one night it is ok but I would not recommend to stay longer or if so take a more expensive room on the upper floors.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

On arrival we were told of a problem with our booked room. We were given access to another room to shower and change while another room was prepared. After we went out for a meal our luggage was moved to the new room. Staff were friendly and helpful. The guesthouse and room were clean and tidy. I think I got value for money and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

I've been living in Asia for the past 4 years or so, and I've done my fair bit of traveling around SE Asia while staying in cheap hotels and guesthouses. But Smiley's takes the cake for being the worst place I've stayed.

It's out of the way from the city center. So, you'll be hiring a Tuk tuk or motorbike anytime you want to go to pub street of the night markets. It's down a dark alley with several shady men who are either pimps or body guards for several prostitutes who are standing right in front of the guesthouse. If you're alone, be careful.

The staff are also very rude. When I checked in I asked for an air conditioned room, but it wasn't working. As I was only staying for the day I didn't mention it to the front desk until I was checking out the next morning. When I asked for a reduced price because of the no air conditioning, they said "No, you asked for no air conditioning." It was a lie because they were asking me to pay for the air conditioned price. I told them they were wrong, and they accused me of lying because "It's so cold now. No one asks for air conditioning." Their definition of "cold" is 28 degrees C (83 F) during the day.

They cheated me out of the prince for the cheaper room. They also started yelling when I told them they were wrong and that I would be leaving a poor review on trip advisor.

So, in short, skip Smiley's guesthouse. There's plenty of other better options for guesthouses in Siem Reap. There's a reason all the most recent reviews for Smiley's have been poor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
bath
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

This was the most digusting place I stayed at in SE Asia so far, I will spare you the details but believe me when I say disgusting. When I asked the staff to clean the bathroom (as it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while) they only cleaned the floor eventhough I specifically told them what needed cleaning (which did not incl the floor). The rooms are very old and dedperately need refurbishing.

• Stayed January 2014
Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

The staff was rude to us upon arrival. We had arranged our room in advance at a set price and when we arrived they acted like we were crazy. We also had a horrible experience with the tuk tuk driver. DO NOT USE THE HOSTELS DRIVER!! There are much kinder and more reasonable drivers on the street. The driver at the hostel told us that he couldn't fit us all in one tuk tuk because of a law against foreigners in Cambodia and tried to rip us off for a day trip to Angkor Wat. He was very unpleasant. The food at the hostel is overpriced and takes a long time to prepare. There are definitely better options in Siam Reap for backpackers, this wouldn't be my first choice if I was to return..

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends