“Totally overrated . I was offered drugs in my dorm” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap

Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap
london
“Totally overrated . I was offered drugs in my dorm”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here about 10 days ago and whilst I found the staff ok, the food was well over priced, I stayed here reviews on trip advisor told me to was a great place to meet new friends .... Well let's just say within 10 minutes of being in this over full hostel I was offered ketamine by the person in the bunk above me for $30 this wasn't for me but as I'd paid for the night I stayed , the roof top bar that they call top banana was very nicely decked but the rest of the bar was full of sand deep into the floor..., this became a pain for me when I became a little drunk as the bar is up 5 very steep sets of stairs ....and the sand just follows you every where .... I almost feel down part of the stairs because of the dam sand ...also this place is very loud even in your dorm.... They offer free ear plugs at the reception ...this should be your first warning sign also found the food to be overpriced for what it was ....as the cooking was nothing special . I decided to look into the kitchen as the door was left open and believe me it didn't look to appealing and extremely unsafe with gas pipes running everywhere ....good luck to you all if this place ever catches fire....anyway would I stay here again .....NEVER ....should you stay here again ...NEVER...

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank LondonArtlover
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear London Artlover!

You seem to have changed your story completely from your previous review - probably because our response upset you, was it to accurate? Now you have changed your statements one can only assume to damage our business, completely I may add against all Trip Advisor rules!

For guests reading this review:

But let me just state The Mad Monkey is the only fire safety certified hostel I am aware of in Siem Reap, to add to this the company had regular fire-drills and we have video cameras and we also have a fire alarm system. Gas pipes everywhere? There are two gas bottles use to cook with located outside of the wall at the upstairs restaurant level both certified and the gas is turned off when closed , this reviewer is 100% incorrect. For anyone reading this review please read his full original review and our response - you will see he has completely changed the story and is not a credible reviewer - not this odd ball. Enjoy this post!

HERE IS THE FIRST REVIEW HE LEFT -

This place is too noisey I stayed here over the last few days got no sleep really and just found people taking lots of ketamine in the dorms ….not very nice really …. I stayed here as I was traveling alone and was told this was a good place to meet people….sure it might be but the people I saw reminded me of my worst knight-mare to be honest…anyway the pool was too busy it’s very small considering the amount of people that they pushed into there rooms !!!, also the roof top bar top banana or whatever it’s called has a sandy floor up 5 flights of steep steps which was not good one on your feet as you take sand everywhere with you after and if you’ve had a few too many better too drink easy to fall down…the food is pricey for what it is…$3 for beans on on toast small amount of cheap Thailand beans NOT HEINZ BAKED BEANS …. At that price I’d expect at least half a tin of Heinz beans if not more… The bar is full of what I would describe as people from a Star Wars movie really ….The kitchen is worth a look, whilst cleanish it looks like a cheap Khmer set up ….considering the money this place takes they should put in for a major revamp and upgrade….don’t believe the mad money hype they write in the menu either …they have to my law give people 1 day off a week…it’s not a perk they give there staff…this place is run on some fun and a lot of commission don’t believe all you read about this place …I have now moved and found a better place to stay in siem reap that I will review when I leave ….I don’t recoomond this place and I won’t be back …..Neather should you !!!!…. Over priced….too noisey .bad quality and too many drug users …sorry but a big big big no from me …don’t waste your time sleep and money find somewhere else they do excist and are far better in every way…

HERE IS OUR FIRST CONSIDERED RESPONSE

Dear London Art Lover. Firstly let me apologize on behalf of the Mad Monkey that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we appreciate your feedback, and I hope you will also appreciate our honest feedback based on your review, because I am about to give you a spanking, so pull down your pants and bend over my knee because here it comes.

Firstly let me start by saying how disappointed I am that instead of reporting potential drug use to our team, which would have resulted in the immediate removal of any offenders, that you instead chose NOT to notify us which I find to be slightly selfish and inconsiderate to your fellow guests, only for you then to post the notification on a public forum after you had checked out.

Had you told us we would have resolved the issue. We have a zero tolerance drugs policy at The Mad Monkey. I for one would have certainly “confiscated” it for my next vicar and tarts party, you should come, they are the balls.

You have also called into question our business ethics after absolutely zero discussion with us or anyone on The Mad Monkey Team, you took zero time to find out anything about our business, what we do, or who we are, you read something on a menu and came to a snap judgment about us, which I think relates to my next point.

I found it surprising that you complained about the noise. This only became more frustrating when I saw you actually booked direct and must have seen our awesome video on our website. So why then did a 47 year old man check into a pumping youth hostel and book a bed in our biggest dorm? I pondered to myself, over a bowel of cheerios this morning. (Crunchy nut is the best for clarity of thought )

I came to the conclusion that the real underlying issue was probably not the noise at all; it was probably that you didn’t make friends in the hostel, had you made friends I don’t think the noise would have bothered you, because you would have been having fun. I can only assume that you were somewhat ostracized from the fun and that is not nice, and I apologize on the behalf of your fellow guests and our team for not identifying that fact.

I was so concerned about your claim of drug use that I actually checked to see if any of the people that had shared your dorm were in staying in our hostels in Kampot or Phnom Penh, as luck would have it three of the girls and one of the guys that had shared your dorm on the dates you were there were staying with us in Kampot.

The Kampot GM asked them about the drug use, they said they personally didn’t see any, but they did remember you. Now, I will not share what they said about you on a public forum because I do not know you, I also do not think it is fair to make claims about you or judge you based on other people’s opinions. I would imagine you are probably OK, even if it is in small doses, or to just sit next to in silence without feeling uncomfortable.

However, you may want to consider that your inability to make friends on this occasion may possibly be in some part due to you and the way you conducted yourself whilst you were here? Certainly you felt it necessary to criticize our business very openly on the basis of a snap judgment without even knowing us, if you did the same to the people you were sharing your dorm with I have to ask myself if it could also be emblematic of your failure to have fun and fit in. That got me questioning if you traveled so much simply because you were one of those moody arty types that everyone wants to beat up in your home town…

I asked myself if 100% of the 100 people staying at the hostel at the time could have significant character defects or if it was statistically more likely that your actions were the root cause of your failure to integrate and enjoy yourself. You may want to ask yourself this question. Now I am no Steven Hawking, I cant even drive a forklift properly and my typing is rubbish, but lets face it statistically that looks a lot more likely.

However, I apologize on behalf on the hostel that you were not able to make friends whilst you were here. We should have identified this and given you special treatment. We normally do, because we do genuinely care. Indecently I love the bar in Star Wars I sometimes lay down a plinth in the corner poking my tongue out and say keep saying “WOOKIE” in a high pitched voice to pretend I am Jaba the hut. I don’t chain up girls though, that would be a step too far.

On the note of the pool being too small, it is the biggest pool we could build given the land size of the hostel, I can not fix this but there are other pools that you could have had free access if you had only have asked us.

I have told the chef to add more beans to our portions, but I must stress again had you notified us that you were not happy with your meal you would have been refunded or we would have simply given you more beans, again looking at your past reviews every negative one you have given seems to reference price, conversely you seem to give the most gushing reviews to the most expensive places so I am not sure what is happening there. Our prices are fair considering the final point. And I personally hate Heinz beans as a brand because they make my farts smell of wet dogs.

That final point, which I find to be the most astonishing and incredulous part of your review is that you stated that our social responsibility is “HYPE” based on reading something in a menu.

I can assure you that The Mad Monkey not only meets or exceeds all laws but pays salaries at 30% higher than national average, provides all of our staff with healthcare, free education, free food and full benefits package with holidays – this is based on “our values” that you will find on our website. I really wish you bothered to read them before making such a sweeping statement about our “HYPE” and before you made your booking.

On this trip you spent five days in Cambodia, this is what our team at The Mad Monkey have managed to achieve as a business even during your short five-day stay in the country.

1) We funded two children’s play centers in Kampot

2) We had funded a clean water project for a school of 200 kids that were getting sick due to a contaminated water supply.

3) We had raised funds to build a further seven clean water wells in Cambodia that will provide clean water to some 280 people.

4) We had directly paid for two poor children’s educations that would otherwise be working on a garbage dump via our Crawl for School Fund.

5) We accommodated and assured the safety for over 900 guests stay nights.

6) We maintained fair employment, benefits and healthcare for 150 team members

You in comparison managed to add four or five more average reviews to your existing portfolio of badly considered opinions. Now I understand that you may be changing the world one crappy review at a time and I understand this may be your hobby, but when you call into question our business ethics and social responsibility of our team, especially when you fail to notify us of potential drug use and then you publicly berate us on a forum using a pseudonym it’s a bit off.

This is a forum that I may add has the potential to negatively impact our business and restrict the work we are doing. But I am not angry, I just I feel very sorry for you and want to give you a big hug. Because lets face it – its not fair, or kind, or friendly and its not a very nice thing to do, which means you are probably a bit sad about something inside.

Had you been brave enough to speak to us, made a complaint in person or simply notified us of your issues we could have solved most of them, we would have even sat and had a beer with you at the bar, but instead you decided to vent on here.

Now on balance I think your review was probably ignorant, ill researched, emotive, factually incorrect and probably self inflicted – I think it is likely to be an angry reaction to feeling “outside” of the wider group that stayed at the hostel – this meant that fear got the better of you, and for that I am truly and genuinely sorry.

I always get sad when people don’t have a great stay, but I would request that for the benefit of others, you do thoroughly consider our response to your review and the impact ill considered reviews like have has on a business like ours, before you come to other snap judgments on other peoples businesses.

We do try to make everyone happy all of the time, and do achieve great things in our community. I am again genuinely sorry that our team and your fellow guests failed to give you the love and attention you desperately needed whilst you were staying with us.

Swing by the next time you are in town for a hug and a beer, you can also come to my next party, I don’t even care if you stand in the corner muttering to yourself about how awful people are, just don’t drawer anything in poo on my wall, in the same way you leave your mark on Tripadvisor.com.

LOVE

Steve @ Mad Monkey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was my first experience in a hostel, and it was Perfect! I stayed in a Single room and my 8 Friends shared a Dorm. we All were super Happy with the facility. Specially the Top Banana Bar was Awesome, Perfect Food and really good drinks.(you should try the Grenade.. will blow your mind) And on top of that they have Best and the most Friendly Staff ever..!! Highly Recommended!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for choosing Mad Monkey hostels for your stay - We loved having you here and we wish you the very best for your onward trip. Thank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great atmosphere and a perfect place to stay if you want to have some fun, socialise and have a comfortable sleep.

The hostel has a great rooftop beach bar which was lively in the evenings and when the bar closed, we'd all head over to Pub Street which is a few minutes away for a good night out.

I stayed in a twin room and while you could hear the music from the pool bar, it wasn't too loud and turned off at an acceptable time so that you could have a good sleep. Only downside was the fan in our room was not working but the staff quickly helped us out and gave us a rotating standing fan.

Overall, an excellent, clean and fun place to stay and I will definitely return when i'm next in Cambodia!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear guest! Thanks for your lovely fantastic review! Do come back and visit us soon! Thank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I guess I was just unlucky but i had the worst experience in this hostel. Staying the large 14 (I think) bed room I was unfortunate to have the rowdiest drunkest group sharing. One British solo traveller even managed to pee right in the middle of the floor and consequently slipped in it, banged his head and knocked himself out. When I went around the hostel with a fellow roommate to look for any security there was none to help. We had to drag him to bed and mop up his pee ourselves. The room is right next to the bar where they promote the most vile tasting drinks and play music loud until late. It's a party place that's for sure, which I'm well up for, but not to the extent they allow everyone to get to. You'll love it if you're out to get wasted and sleep with anything with a pulse.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lizzies2904
Dear lizzies2904,

Thank you so much for your review. I have also messaged you today. I think the reality is that yes you were unlucky on this occasion based on the particular dorm mate you had, as you will see our reviews on the whole are very positive so I am sorry to say that you probably just got unlucky with your dorm which is always the risk you take when booking a dorm with other backpackers. Please note that we do close the bar at 11:30 but we can not stop guests going to pub street, which of course is one of the main highlights of Siem Reap. However the issue with the security member I am personally chasing up with our team now to find out why they were not instantly available, they certainly should have been and I will rectify the issue today.

The drink that you mention is called the Grenade, we have lots of cocktail choices but this just tends to be most popular and its fair to say we are famous for it, there is a video on our website that even explains the history of it.

I am obviously disappointed that you didn't have a great time when many people do and I am going to rectify this with you today with a personal message. Please do come back and try us again as I am sure you will have a better time on your next stay as most of our customers do.

Thank you again for your review and your valuable feedback.

Regards

Steve
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Best hostel in Siem Reap, situated in the heart of the city. The rooms are well maintained, the food is delicious and the bar scene is great. Ive been here for about 2 months and I have nothing but great things to saw about this hostel as well as the other tourist I've encountered throughout my stay here in Cambodia.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank kyrafernandes
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review - it really means a lot to us and we are very thankful that you found the time. We miss you come back soon! Thank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Pros: friendly staff, access to computers & good wifi, a pool with beanbag chairs (but get there early as they fill up with people when it's nice), comfortable rooms, clean facilities.

Cons: the bar is loud. Okay to be fair, it's a bar, but be warned if you stay in a dorm that one is located right near the bar and sleep before midnight is not happening. The only reason we were going to bed early was to catch the sunrise at the temples the next day. If you don't plan on sleeping early, you're good to go, as far as I know the music shuts off around midnight and the people soon follow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest - Another great review really helps us and keeps us motivated to keep improving our service - we are chuffed you loved your stay - thanks again for caring. Thank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I spent six delightful nights at the Mad Monkey. Brian, the manager, went out of his way to welcome me. Room was quiet, comfortable. You would not believe how much fun you can have at this hostel with a great 4th floor Top Banana bar - real sand floor!. They have a carefully selected stable of tuk-tuk drivers for visits to the ruins. They have a pool too!. Terrific value! This is a real party destination. If this 71 year old geezer can have this great a time - you will too. In 40 years of travel I've never felt as welcome in a hostel as at the Mad Monkey Siem Reap.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest - It was an absolute delight having you stay here with our team at The Mad Monkey. We wish you the very best for your onward trip :-) Thank you for staying at our socially responsible hostel.