“Perfect location, comfortable stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ta Prohm Hotel

Ta Prohm Hotel
Ranked #161 of 337 Hotels in Siem Reap
Tokyo, Japan
“Perfect location, comfortable stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

I was aware about the hotel's internal rooms without window, so I decided to pay more and booked a twin deluxe room with balcony from one famous online booking agent. I have read many comments about the hotel trying to to put thier guests into these internal rooms so I carefully choose the booking agent that clearly stated the room condition before booking to avoid any trouble.

After arriving at 3PM, I was told that the room was not ready yet and I had to wait until 7PM. to get into my room but they were kind(?) enough to let me rest in their suite until that time. I didn't complain and accepted the deal.

After some rest, I went out and came back at around 7PM. My room was ready as promised and they guided me to a room facing backstreet without view and without balcony but a glass window overlooking an adjacent building. I wasn't satisfied with this since I booked a room with balcony which was clearly stated in my booking voucher. I called the front desk and the staff told me that the room they showed me was also deluxe room and they didn't have a room with balcony available that night!!

I asked about the money I paid in extra for a deluxe with balcony but they insisted that what I paid was cheaper than the hotel rack rate and this was what they could provide for the amount I paid! If I still wanted a room with balcony I had to move tomorrow but they wouldn't return the amount difference. I was tired of how they treated me the whole day: 4 hours waiting for my room and after all putting me in the room with grade lower than what I booked, so I just said I would think about this again tomorrow.

However, after 5~10 minutes passed, the front desk staff called me again and said they had a room with balcony for me now! They just said there was no room available but after 10 minutes they asked me to move. I didn't understand the policy of this hotel but at least I could get what I should get with the help of that front desk staff although she was the one who tried to bluff me at the beginning.

The hotel itself was nice. I like its woodworks and the view of the river in front of the hotel. Breakfast was average but adequate. Bathroom had stech coming from drainage. But, the location of the hotel is ideal for exploring Siem Reap. If I come to Siem Reap again, I still want to try this hotel but hope not to get into any kind of trouble like this time though.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kumaneko

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Hotel was well priced, location was perfect and the interior is unique because of the wooden interior. We spent 2 nights in hotel and had a great breakfast in a great lookimg restaurant of hotel which is only open for breakfast but You can find very good street restaurant right in front of hotel. Try amok traditional khmer food!
In the room some lights were out and according to a sticker You must take care and not to dirt Your towel otherwise You are charged. Hotel is close to cheap night market and inner city with pubs, shops, restaurants and massage places.

• Stayed February 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed in Ta Phrom Hotel for 2 nights and the staff was very kind enough to find us 2 connecting rooms with a small living room in between. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well maintained and I like the all wood structure used with its intricate wood carvings along the hallway. The location is very strategic and convenient- by the river, near the restaurants and market where you can buy souvenirs and other stuff. There are other beautiful hotels in Siem Reap but I feel that Ta Phrom gives you a more authentic feeling that you are in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Too bad, the lift was not working and there were some renovations going on during our stay.. but we don't really mind climbing the wooden staircase to the 3rd flr and the sounds and pounding from the renovation stops late in the afternoon..we would always arrive late at night anyway coz there's so much to see in Siem Reap...staffs are friendly and warm. We will definitely come back and stay there again next time.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

Having had a great first stay in Ta Phrom Hotel on my first visit to Siem Reap, I booked the same hotel again for my return visit. If anything, I enjoyed my second stay at this grand hotel even more then I did the first. The great addition now is the completion of the new breakfast area and bar on the third floor. This lovely space is so bright and airy and such a fantastic place to start the day with the free breakfast smorgasboard. What a great addition to an already great hotel!

The staff have always been friendly and smiling every time I've checked in, and have never been able to do enough to help. Even the cleaning ladies had big smiles on their face and greeted me whenever I walk by. A couple of the staff are a bit shy, but I would not mistake that for unfriendliness. I left the hotel for three days to take a extended overnight tour of some more distant historical sites, and the hotel happily let me store my bags in the secure storage for no charge, and had a room all ready for me when I returned.

Good wifi in the rooms, tho note that internet Cambodia can be spotty at times. No pool, which is really all this hotel lacks. Good elevator between floors, tho it is an easy walk up the big spiral staircase. Porters were always waiting to open the front door whenever I returned to the room. Location could not be better, as has been mentioned in many reviews, so I will not belabour it here.

Ta Phrom Hotel is not a 5 star property, so don't expect that. But it is a tremendous hotel, offering clean comfortable rooms, friendly service and a hotel with great character for a very low daily rate. I would most denitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LosBound2014
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Can't really fault the hotel. So feel it should get a good review mark but I just want to highlight to travellers that you should not expect much from the receptionists.. They are highly miserable and unhelpful, we are a pretty relaxed couple but we were really made to feel that we were massively putting them out by asking for anything!!
And doing some DIY with power drills downstaira at 8am after a big night didn't help things...
Rooms are cool, location is good..

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wayno_and_Holly
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

We had booked into another hotel but what you often don't realise is many of them are a little out of town which is inconvenient when you need to go out for dinner. So we moved to the Ta Prohm and were not disappointed:
1. Excellent location - the best - by the river and near all the restaurants, bars and markets (but without the noise)
2. Extremely helpful and polite staff:
- We checked out at 5.30am and the kitchen staff laid breakfast on for us early and would have been happy to provide us with a packed-breakfast to take away of we had preferred.
- Staff booked our travel and tours.
- We had some washing done and it was back all clean and neatly folded within a few hours!
3. Beautiful big rooms (very quiet too)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Named after the "Tomb Raider" temple this hotel is one of a kind. Beautiful woodwork throughout the hotel. Great location and friendly staff. Very comfortable rooms but the bathrooms are a little dated. I unfortunately did not have a room with a view. Only complaint was no in room safe. To secure your valuables, mainly passport for me, you had to lock them up in the safe behind the desk. Not a deal breaker though. They had a complimentary breakfast every morning which was good as well as free wifi.

Pros
- Great location near markets and Pub Street
- Friendly staff
- Nice rooms

Cons
- No room safe
- AC turns off when you leave the room

I would stay here again and would advise anyone to stay here at least once just to experience the decor.

Room Tip: I would contact them in advance and ask for a room with a view to the outside street if I were to vi...