“Amazing experience in Siem Reap!!”
Review of Amansara

Amansara
Ranked #94 of 373 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Went to Siem Reap end of July 2011 and stayed in Amansara for 4 days, 3 nights... arrived there early evening... there was a speaker in the library/media room who talked for half an hour regarding the history of Cambodia... it was interesting to listen and relaxing way to start my day (although it was too late to do anything else) in Siem Reap/Amansara... briefly met Sally, the General Manager in Amansara (who I also bumped into during my stay in Amantaka)... very nice pleasant lady...

Room was beautiful and modern and I love the set up... I love the little touches like the different fruits they displayed on the fruit basket every day... My mini ref was always stocked with diet coke and ice box was always full.. Room was always clean everytime I come in and out of it... I luv how the bubble bath in the evening is filled with warm water with scented soap/salt. I just couldnt resist diving and relaxing in there especially with my tired feet from walking around the temples! the restaurant was excellent.. the khmer dish i had on the first evening of my arrival was absolutely heavenly... staff are always very warm and friendly and always had a smile!

the spa was probably one of the most modern and awesome looking spa places ive seen... the Teap Bourn massage was amazing! A blind masseuse did an excellent job using a hard technique... boy I feel beaten up but it felt good!! Facial massages were heavenly and standard in all Aman resorts..

Of course, the temple tours were the highlight and main attraction of Siem Reap.. Did a lot of different temple tours with a private tour guide, made my feet tired.. but it was soo worth it.. The tours through the different temples felt very exclusive and private and we rarely met heavy crowds of tourists except when we are finished doing the tours and exiting the temples.

I had afternoon tea at the Khmer house located less than 20 minutes from the Amansara resort which is owned by Aman.. Its a two story wooden house near the outskirts of the city... had such an amazing tasting tea and tasty treats to complement the tea! it was great!!!

did some side tours which catered to my interest including visiting a children's hospital and also an orphanage center... It was amazing and at the same time depressing to see the hospital facility and the number of family/children waiting in the outpatient center area and inside the hospital was mind boggling.. I would like to one day volunteer there... The orphanage center was also amazing and at the same time depressing.. I hear that some of these centers are big scheme in Siem Reap for some crooks to get money from people's donations and give the minimum amount to care for these orphaned kids...

Overall, I had the most excellent time and experience at Siem Reap/Amansara!! They have made my visit to Siem Reap both educational and most memorable with style to boot.. I will definitley visit again one day!!

Oh, the only downside is that this Aman Resort does not have a gym facility.. U can use one of the nearby hotels to work out for daily usage fee of course...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank JSanico

Reviewed 1 December 2011

My wife and I spent 3 nights of our honeymoon at Amansara. We have never had such a magical experience. From the moment we landed in Siem Reap and were picked up in the hotel limousine to the minute we left, it was pure bliss. The hotel is stunning, wonderfully restored with a minimal, modern touch. We read a review before we arrived that said the service was practically psychic, and laughed it off. When we got there, we understood. Precluding all of your needs and reacting with lightning speed to your wants, the entire staff is incredibly efficient behind the scenes. Everyone there is so kind and do whatever they can to make this a truly special experience. Our guide Sophea was fantastic, providing a detailed history of all the temples we visited and crafting a game plan for avoiding the crowds which gave our touring a sense of intimacy. We could not have been more delighted with the stay and hope to come back again soon. In the meantime, we have to gaze happily at the hundreds of pictures we took while remembering such an amazing trip.

Room Tip: Get a room with a private pool, it's a great dip after your morning tour.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorin_M
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My second trip to Siem Reap and second stay at Amansara. It remains an exquisite experience, I have little doubt this is one of the best small hotels in the world. This is a calm and serene place, with the most superlative yet relaxed service, gorgeous rooms and grounds, wonderful food and excursions. A stay at Amansara is unforgettable and worth the high price. This time i took my 82 year old Mum who has always wanted to see the temples. The staff at Amansara made her feel very special. She adored it. I find it very difficult to fault Amansara, it is truly magical. Nothing is a problem, and everything is perfect. For me, it is in my Top 10 Best Hotels on the planet. The only disappointment was that the new manager was nowhere to be seen when I paid up and we left. This is unusual for an Aman property, I have never experienced that before. It made us feel a little odd at the end. It is forgotten though, because every other aspect was beyond perfect.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bluebotty
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This hotel may not have everything impressive, but it surehas a very special sense and history ( you can actually read the story of the property itself, and the car they use to pick up the guests) the whole experience, all planned by the amansara team, involves you in every way with Cambodia, a beautiful country, still trying to recover from Civil Wars, surrounded by the kindest and nicest people i ve ever met, making you feel exactly what their goal is like home, everything is included so you can have all you want ANYTIME, very quiet you can get yourself involved with the outside world as much as you Feel like, the food is great, no need to go out for dinner, and the itinerary they plan for you at first seems like a lot, but you end up knowing the most amazing places, at the best times, avoiding as many crowds as possible, with your private guide and driver, which show you everything about Cambodia. All the staff knows exactly who yoy are and what you are doing there, (i was there for my honey moon), they managed champagne in the room, and they even organized a blessing with a Buddisht Monk for our marriage; the length of your stay, and were always one step ahead of all my needs. They are also very involved in helping the community with the floods, the orphans, and the people dissabled by incidents during war....
i am truly looking forward to return to this place and visiting all Amans hotels.
All though its not exactly a cheap hotel, we paid it fully satisfied with what we got for.We ended up having something, although cliche,,,,money cant buy!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had the most amazing stay at Amansara in August. My husband and I constantly talk about Siem Reap and Amansara, wishing we were there and advising all of our friends and family to visit. If you believe that a hotel can make or break a travel experience, as we do, then stay at Amansara when you visit Siem Reap! We can't say enough good things about it. That being said, we loved the town of Siem Reap, which is very well-maintained. Everyone we met outside of the hotel was wonderfully kind and welcoming, and there is also great shopping there!

Back to Amansara...August in Siem Reap is very hot and sticky. Amansara will give you a private guide and driver and will arrange your itinerary so that you avoid the crowds and do not suffer from the heat. The service is incredible. When we arrived we were upgraded to a suite with a pool. I would highly recommend splurging on the pool suite if you visit during a warmer part of the year. You will love being able to take a dip in your private pool in between temple tours. You have probably read about how the hotel brings breakfast to your room. That was a real treat, and since returning home my husband and I have been asking ourselves why breakfast doesn't magically appear at our bedside in the mornings. The dining staff is also incredibly friendly and personable. We miss Sopharna! However, everyone is wonderful.

Amansara gets the best, most knowledgeable temple guides. If you can, request Yokohama! He was our guide, and he bent over backwards to make sure we had the most incredible tours. He knows the temple complex inside and out and can find places where you will not encounter other tourists. My husband and I are history junkies, and we loved trekking through the jungle to visit the temples. We have recommended Yokohama to our familly and friends. Amansara also has excellent food, and a beautiful but relaxed dining room. This is a good thing since you will often be too tired from your tours to leave the hotel for meals. The menu changes often so you will not get bored. My husband and I liked Cambodian food even more than Thai food. If you can, DEFINITELY take the cooking class! It was one of the highlights of our trip. You will be joined by 2 incredibly talented and gracious staff members of Amansara who will teach you to cook 5 or 6 Cambodian dishes in a traditional Khmer house. You will cook over clay pots and use all of the traditional cooking implements. And believe it or not, your food will be delicious!

Speaking of food, it you do leave the hotel, we strongly advise you to try Cuisine Wat Damnak for dinner, which was recommended to us by the hotel. We ate one of the best meals of our trip there for a very reasonable price. The chef came out to meet us, and was very friendly and gracious.

Amansara also makes an effort to bring Cambodian culture to its guests. The first night of our visit, there was a group of Cambodian musicians playing traditional instruments by the pool. A few nights later we viewed a very moving performance by a group of Cambodian youths who had been affected personally by polio and land mine explosions.

In sum, if you stay at Amansara, you really will have it all. It is not cheap relative to other hotels, but when you consider the quality of the service, Amansara is a bargain. Stay there!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda R
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Had a wonderful 3 nights with my 6 year old son.
Morning tour and afternoon tour is arranged just fit to our interests, also my sons interests were taken into account. ( He prefer swimming at the villa--;)

Khmer cooking class at the small old traditional villa was also nice.
Huz was introducing his newly acquainted skills to his collegues by reproducing the recipe we've learn there.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Amansara is another confirmation of Aman excellence among hotel chains. From the pick-up service at the airport, to the room, the food, the two pools, the remork at your disposal for the entire stay at any time, the excellent tour guide and drivers for the visits to the temples, the excellent spa and its therapists, the nice little gifts left on the bed at night, the bath filled with flowers when you are back from the excursion, the attention to details from Mrs. Sally, the general manager... Pure perfection. Hope to have other chances to stay at one of Aman properties.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple