“Absolutely Beautiful”

Ranked #95 of 343 Hotels in Siem Reap
San Diego
“Absolutely Beautiful”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We did not stay at the hotel because it was sold out (really? at $1000/night?) but we visited the property and had lunch there. The place was absolutely beautiful, the pool, the restaurant, but especially the spa. Each room comes with its own retro tuk tuk. Food was so so but service was good. I didn't try the spa there because I booked spa appointment at Victoria across the street. That was a mistake. I'm sure the spa at Amansara is amazing; at least I'm sure it is the most beautiful one. I will try it on my next trip for sure.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
SoCal
Reviewed 18 March 2010

i've been lucky enough to stay in some pretty nice places more often than not while traveling. i made a tripadvisor account specifically so i can review this hotel: the amansara is truly the best hotel i've ever experienced. though quality like this does not come cheap, it's so worth it if you can afford it because it includes daily tours, breakfast, lunch/dinner, and endless beverages & snacks. this review will be pretty detailed because i want everyone to know exactly what you get at the amansara.

the amansara is located in downtown siem reap, minutes away from all the temple sites. it is very unassuming from the street -- you wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't have someone pulilng into the driveway. but once you get enter, it's a tropical oasis of plumeria trees, flowers, fish ponds, swimming pools & lawns. it was a past cambodian king's summer house & there are only 24 rooms so the atmosphere is personal & peaceful. the food served at the hotel is simply delicious (you have a choice between western or local khmer style menus) -- we were constantly full & never even had to leave the hotel to eat. the rooms are all very clean, comfortable & zen-like. every night they draw a bath for you with floating lotuses, & instead of chocolates, they leave a little gift on your pillow, ie, jasmine rings, lotus bouquets, fans, & traditional all-purpose cambodian scarves.

though everything was top notch, i must say the amansara staff deserves the most credit. everyone is so warm & courteous, taking into account every single detail to ensure that your experience is nothing short of relaxing, fun, & tailored to your distinct traveling style..& i'm not even exaggerating. everyone makes an effort to remember all the guests & makes sure everyone is comfortable at all times. we didn't have to plan a thing -- they organize itineraries that include tour guides & transportation, carefully coordinated to avoid the large tourist crowds & unrelenting camodian sun, see all of the famous cambodian landmarks (as well as a few hidden gems) yet still making sure you have enough time to enjoy the hotel's wonderful amenities. additionally, they bring cambodian culture to you: during our stay, they invited traditional dancers & shadow puppet performers to come perform for the hotel guests!

a few instances really drove home how thoughtful & detail-oriented the amansara is. there are a few excursions that guests can pay extra for, & we chose to get a spiritual cleansing from a monk. the hotel arranged a car to take us there, & since custom dictates an offering to be made to the monk to perform these ceremonies, the hotel took care of this for us. afterwards, they even set up a little picnic with tea & snacks for us inside a nearby temple ruin -- a very unique treat for tourists! we also wanted to visit an orphanage, but we didn't know what to do or bring..however, fear not! amansara conveniently put together two types of gift baskets that we could purchase for $60 each to donate to the orphanage.

but what really sealed my love for amansara, though, was that the day we were leaving was my mom's birthday, & they mysteriously told us to go to the study after breakfast. turns out they drove in a monk to perform a blessing ceremony for my family, & hotel employees came in with a birthday cake to sing happy birthday to my mom! it was such a wonderful surprise & really made a lasting impression on our experience.

i have never been sad to leave a hotel in my life, but with such a warm & caring staff, it truly felt like i was leaving family. i can't imagine my amazing experience in cambodia had i not stayed at the amansara. i would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank baybeelayzie
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Wow. I really loved this hotel, starting with our transfer in a vintage Mercedes limousine from the airport to the property. The service seemed almost psychic. They brought wonderful spring rolls and sandwiches to our rooms when we arrived because they thought we might be hungry (I was). Another example: After a long day of sightseeing, I was discussing with my colleague how a relaxing bath would be lovely. I open my door to find a warm bath drawn for me and strewn with lotus blossoms.

The open-plan suite was as lovely as could be, with Cambodian elements accenting the chic, contemporary furnishings.

The sightseeing they arranged was fantastic (standing alone in Angkor Wat at dawn is something I’ll never forget), and the Cambodian cuisine in the restaurant was unfailingly delightful. I also now fully understand the appeal of a private swimming pool. What fun to have a dip after a morning’s sightseeing, followed by a nap on the neighboring cushions! One of the best hotels I’ve experienced.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 January 2010

My husband and I traveled to Siem Reap and stayed at the Amansara for 3 nights in 2005. We had an an amazing time there and felt the Aman experience was the best we ever had. We returned again to SE Asia to visit Vietnam this Nov/Dec and decided that we had to revisit Siem Reap. We booked 5 nights at the Amansara and were just as pleased on our second visit. The staff, managers and guides at this property create a magical feeling that is like visiting good friends. The service is attentive but relaxed and you are greeted with warm smiles every time you see anyone. The food is fantastic, particularly the Khmer menu which is included as part of the rate. Yes it is expensive, but hands down this is one of the finest travel experiences we have ever had and we have traveled extensively.
We did a number of activities while staying in addition to the temple visits:
-Visited an orphanage - arranged by the Amansara
-Romantic dinner at the Khmer village house
-Motor biking in the jungle at Mount Khulen and swimming in the waterfall at the river of a thousand lingas
-Visting the West Baray (West Mebon) and the Khmer village house for tea with scholar in residence - archaeologist Roland Fletcher

Highly recommend the experience it is well worth the price! Special kudos to the manager Siddarth who is a true dynamo.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 December 2009

We loved our six nights here. It gave us time to see everything we wanted, without being in a rush or hurry, and allowed our wonderful guide to arrange photo ops under the best light and conditions. Our pool suite couldn't have been nicer, and was cleaned several times a day. We ate like kings and loved the open bar and all of house wines. Be sure to get a pool suite. We also loved our cooking class at the Khmer house that you can read about in the materials. The staff are incredible, with virtually all willing to tell of how family members somehow survived the cruelty and murder of the Khmer Rouge. I can't say enough wonderful things about how we were treated here. Yeah, it's spendy.....but I had to admit it was worth it all. Feel free to write if you have specific questions.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank strickles
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2009

The service at Amansara really blew me away. It was absolutely top notch. I felt like a king. Staff were there when you wanted them and knew when to leave you alone. The hotel is quite an oasis in Siem Reap. It's a smaller Aman property, but quite exquisite. The food was uniformly excellent - particularly the breakfasts. The Pool Suites are very nice - very plush interiors, but a somewhat cold private pool terrace. The excursions to the temples are fantastic - one step ahead of the crowds every single time - excellent! Amansara made me feel like I was the only one at the hotel, and made me feel like they were losing a friend when I left. Very, very, impressed. There is no other hotel of this calibre in chaotic Siem Reap.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank bluebotty
DC
Reviewed 16 August 2009

My wife and I went last year (new to trip advisor; that's why I'm writing this only now). We had the most relaxing and elegant experience we've ever had at a . . . hotel, but one can't call this a hotel. Siddarth Mehra and the staff were like nothing we'd ever seen before. All the way down to the cigar lighter, everything spoke of the attention to the details. The food -- Khmer cuisine -- was superb as well. Go no other place in Siem Reap.

Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple