“" Great Location & Great Place to Stay"”

Shadow Angkor Residence
Ranked #121 of 495 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Australia
“" Great Location & Great Place to Stay"”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I traveled to Cambodia for three week during January and had a great experience. The hotel's restaurant was again average priced with average food, but the staff were wonderful. Rooms clean and fairly priced. On the first day we hadn't changed any money as we came from Thailand, a staff member from reception instead of directing me to a currency exchange, took me there and even negotiated so I could get a better rate, the bikes were easily accessible and when I rented the bike a staff member gave me a map for the temples and directed were to go. Also I enjoyed the balcony located on the second floor. The location was great, close to the market and not far from the temple's. Overall I would be more than happy to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 31 January 2012

i went here based on a friend's experience a few years ago, in that time it seems a lot has changed. First, the good; clean, great location~a 5 minute walk to most things you'd want to see in the city while still being somewhat quiet (though most days music from a nearby establishment was so loud you would swear they were playing in your hallway), nice French colonial style building with a spacious 2nd floor balcony that was open to all yet seldom had any occupants, very convenient average priced (and average tasting) food available downstairs that they were also willing to bring up to your room, and the ease of being able to rent bikes or drivers from your hotel. The makings of a great time.......Till we get to the bad. Though you can use their drivers, they seem to be highly over priced, and when I told a friend who was living in the area how much I had paid for my first couple days with the tuc tuc driver, her eyes about popped out of her head. On top of this was the quality of my driver; the first day I tried to be friendly, asking if he would like a water when I was buying one, trying to make conversation, but he seemed unhappy to engage me, so I stopped. The second day he seemed downright pissed at my desire to go to so many places, though we had already discussed it the night before, and the payment was for the whole day. Finally the driver told me I was going to need to pay him again for something we had already negotiated and called me a liar in the front lobby of the guesthouse. If this wasn't bad enough, the staff~who had been positively polite and even friendly while I had been using their tuc tuc'c and eating a lot at their restaurant, became very dismissive and even rude to me once I stopped. The epitome of this was when I asked a man at the front desk for soap and a towel (which the cleaning people had forgot to leave), telling him it was urgent because I was quite dirty from a day of exploring (thus didn't want to sit on the furniture) and had plans that night, to which he told me that I was wrong, they must have left them, and he would come up and check my room shortly. After pacing around my room for a half hour (and feeling more than a little accused that I was plotting to steal soap), I walked back downstairs, only to see the same worker I had spoken to walking out the door. Eventually another worker gave me the materials, begrudgingly. I also experienced both internet and cable outages (which is surprising since most days I was out at before sunrise, home late, and mostly simply slept at the hotel, of which the most frustrating part was telling the staff, only to have them tell me I was wrong (I then took pictures the next night, to which they simply shrugged).Needless to say, I did not find the ambiance of this place to be to my liking, and will certainly not give them another dollar of my money.

Room Tip: I don't think the balcony is worth the extra $5; there is a large, usually empty, balcony on the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Amanda W

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights and it was great! The rooms were standard but everything was working and we didn't have any problems. The location was brilliant very close to the market and lots of restaurants and bars. We managed to rent bicycles from the hotel and cycled to Angkor which was brilliant! Hotel arranged transport for us back to Bangkok.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandRTravels09
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Guesthouse is the old French colonial style one, not the one across the river with the pool.
A/c fan tv etc all worked fine, balcony looking out on the st. Room cleaned daily, Rooms were a bit tired &scruffy but adequate bathroom was quite small and an unusual layout ( hot shower was almost above the toilet and there was another cold shower next to the door ,no shower curtain or cubicle so water everywhere.
Bad smell problem from drains in bathroom seems an ongoing issue. Large can of air freshener appreciated but not altogether effective.
Associated restaurant next door handy for breakfast. Excellent wifi , no problem with speed as in others reviews, didn't need the computers. Laundry ($2 kg) came back same day fine. ( several laundrys near by charge $1kg if you prefer to take it , we were just being lazy)
Tuc tuc driver visna( I'm sure I've spelt his name wrong) who drives one of the shadow of Angkor tuc Tucs was very helpful &trustworthy, took me to "Canadia " bank ATM "no withdrawal fee" as opposed to the $4 -6 charged by most.of the other banks in Cambodia, pay the tuc tuc guys rather than the banks!
Great location, just around the corner from pub st, market and night markets.
Downside, nearby club,ossicle in pub st, kept us " entertained " with just the bass sound from their very loud sound system until about 4 am each morning. Probably fine if your in the club listening to the rest of the music and are partially deaf. Not so much fun if you want a good nights sleep!

Room Tip: Room 8, it's floor on corner had private balcony on one side and shared balcony on other, great...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Close to the bar street, recommended by lonely planet aswell.

• Stayed September 2011
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The hotel is located in a really nice house with clean rooms but unfortunately, it stops there.
Was planning on staying one week but ended up staying just two nights. We were informed the first day that we would have to change rooms after one night (we were 2 in a 3 bed room) witch seemed pretty logical. But on the second night we were told that we would have to check out the next day because our room was then reserved. During the check out, no apologies, but a simple "but we still have other rooms available"...
It's too bad because the place is nice (although a bit expensive)

• Stayed August 2011
Japan
Reviewed 14 August 2011

As I always write in my reviews, location, cleanliness and value for money is everything for me when I travel. So I do not care about any frills in the room. This is exactly what I got at Shadow of Angkor. The room was very cheap, but the location excellent, in the middle of a very lively Siem Reap, the room was clean, although very simple, and the staff was very nice. I asked one of them (I can't remember his name) and for a few dollars he took me to Angkor Wat at dawn and then around the historical sites (I was going around on my own, only when I had to move from one site to anoter he was there waiting for me and would take me to the next place). If you go for the same service make sure you understand the exact spot where you will meet him, as there are thousands of tuk-tuk that look very similar to each other, and it's easy to lose him. I was even offered to go back with another tuk-tuk as I wasn't able to find my driver anymore, and this other guy told me "ahh he took your money and he's gone! I'm sure!" but he was actually there waiting for me. Another thing is that although he will give you some info on the way to the sites, it won't be a proper guided tour, so if you want one you have to book using one of the many agencies there. But if you want to wander at your own pace and decide what to see and when, then this is the best option.
Back to the B&B, I only had a small issue when I arrived, for some reason the room I requested was not available for that night only, and they only had a smaller and lower-quality one. It wasn't really a problem for me, and of course I paid less for that one night. Then I was moved to my room. Internet always worked ok. I would definitely go back to this place.

Room Tip: Don't go for the cheapest room, for a little price difference the room quality gets much better.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled solo