“Food is often very good!”

Shadow Angkor Residence
Ranked #109 of 507 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I go to the Shadow for dinner quite a lot as I find the quality of food, value and staff to be all very good. The location is nice, the menu hosts both Khmer and Western dishes (incl. a beef stroganoff!) My partner loves the Lok Lak there and I particularly like the Cashew Chicken, and for around $4 a plate, how can you say fairer then that? I never stayed in their guesthouse so I couldn't comment there. Recommended for food though!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nil_and_Even

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We recently stayed at Shadow of Angkor II with are three young children for 8 nights and loved it. This hotel is in a great location as close enough to everything but nice and quiet at night. The rooms are cleaned every day and the whole hotel is clean and well kept. We got a double and a triple next to each other with a balcony for $54 a night for both. The pool is clean and just brilliant for kids after a day at the temples. The hotel has good Tuk Tuk drivers who took us out to temples and the airport and charged normal prices, they even picked us up from out of the way restaurants for $2.

Get your rates upfront when you arrive and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed here for quite a long spell...maybe too long ! There are 3/4 rooms with a private balcony but there were times when both the balcony and room were 'uncomfortable' due to the music and bass 'throbbing' from the roller-skating rink on top of the Trade Centre, opposite.
There were a couple of power-cuts before I left and I realised they do not have a back-up generator !
There seemed to be more than one 'boss' and no overall Manager and reception staff doubled as tuk-tuk drivers. Apart from one or two notable exceptions, English language was not a strong point of many staff, both in the GH and Restaurant.
The bathrooms were too small and comfortable use of toilet and shower severely restricted.
The room cleaners/cleaning schedules were not up to standard and I think the cleaners never cleaned the bathroom.
The thing which concerned me most was the 'security'. Every night, all balconies were closed and padlocked and had there been a fire on the ground-floor/wooden staircase, there was no escape route.
I was back early every night except one and when I returned at 11.00pm was surprised to see the entire place closed and padlocked although one staff member sleeping in the outside foyer was there to let me in.
Siem Reap has become over-subscribed with tourists and the Pub Street area is not the relaxing/entertaining place it used to be a few years back. I found that the Shadow's restaurant was just as competitive and the food good.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I traveled to Cambodia for three week during January and had a great experience. The hotel's restaurant was again average priced with average food, but the staff were wonderful. Rooms clean and fairly priced. On the first day we hadn't changed any money as we came from Thailand, a staff member from reception instead of directing me to a currency exchange, took me there and even negotiated so I could get a better rate, the bikes were easily accessible and when I rented the bike a staff member gave me a map for the temples and directed were to go. Also I enjoyed the balcony located on the second floor. The location was great, close to the market and not far from the temple's. Overall I would be more than happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

i went here based on a friend's experience a few years ago, in that time it seems a lot has changed. First, the good; clean, great location~a 5 minute walk to most things you'd want to see in the city while still being somewhat quiet (though most days music from a nearby establishment was so loud you would swear they were playing in your hallway), nice French colonial style building with a spacious 2nd floor balcony that was open to all yet seldom had any occupants, very convenient average priced (and average tasting) food available downstairs that they were also willing to bring up to your room, and the ease of being able to rent bikes or drivers from your hotel. The makings of a great time.......Till we get to the bad. Though you can use their drivers, they seem to be highly over priced, and when I told a friend who was living in the area how much I had paid for my first couple days with the tuc tuc driver, her eyes about popped out of her head. On top of this was the quality of my driver; the first day I tried to be friendly, asking if he would like a water when I was buying one, trying to make conversation, but he seemed unhappy to engage me, so I stopped. The second day he seemed downright pissed at my desire to go to so many places, though we had already discussed it the night before, and the payment was for the whole day. Finally the driver told me I was going to need to pay him again for something we had already negotiated and called me a liar in the front lobby of the guesthouse. If this wasn't bad enough, the staff~who had been positively polite and even friendly while I had been using their tuc tuc'c and eating a lot at their restaurant, became very dismissive and even rude to me once I stopped. The epitome of this was when I asked a man at the front desk for soap and a towel (which the cleaning people had forgot to leave), telling him it was urgent because I was quite dirty from a day of exploring (thus didn't want to sit on the furniture) and had plans that night, to which he told me that I was wrong, they must have left them, and he would come up and check my room shortly. After pacing around my room for a half hour (and feeling more than a little accused that I was plotting to steal soap), I walked back downstairs, only to see the same worker I had spoken to walking out the door. Eventually another worker gave me the materials, begrudgingly. I also experienced both internet and cable outages (which is surprising since most days I was out at before sunrise, home late, and mostly simply slept at the hotel, of which the most frustrating part was telling the staff, only to have them tell me I was wrong (I then took pictures the next night, to which they simply shrugged).Needless to say, I did not find the ambiance of this place to be to my liking, and will certainly not give them another dollar of my money.

Room Tip: I don't think the balcony is worth the extra $5; there is a large, usually empty, balcony on the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights and it was great! The rooms were standard but everything was working and we didn't have any problems. The location was brilliant very close to the market and lots of restaurants and bars. We managed to rent bicycles from the hotel and cycled to Angkor which was brilliant! Hotel arranged transport for us back to Bangkok.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MandRTravels09
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Guesthouse is the old French colonial style one, not the one across the river with the pool.
A/c fan tv etc all worked fine, balcony looking out on the st. Room cleaned daily, Rooms were a bit tired &scruffy but adequate bathroom was quite small and an unusual layout ( hot shower was almost above the toilet and there was another cold shower next to the door ,no shower curtain or cubicle so water everywhere.
Bad smell problem from drains in bathroom seems an ongoing issue. Large can of air freshener appreciated but not altogether effective.
Associated restaurant next door handy for breakfast. Excellent wifi , no problem with speed as in others reviews, didn't need the computers. Laundry ($2 kg) came back same day fine. ( several laundrys near by charge $1kg if you prefer to take it , we were just being lazy)
Tuc tuc driver visna( I'm sure I've spelt his name wrong) who drives one of the shadow of Angkor tuc Tucs was very helpful &trustworthy, took me to "Canadia " bank ATM "no withdrawal fee" as opposed to the $4 -6 charged by most.of the other banks in Cambodia, pay the tuc tuc guys rather than the banks!
Great location, just around the corner from pub st, market and night markets.
Downside, nearby club,ossicle in pub st, kept us " entertained " with just the bass sound from their very loud sound system until about 4 am each morning. Probably fine if your in the club listening to the rest of the music and are partially deaf. Not so much fun if you want a good nights sleep!

Room Tip: Room 8, it's floor on corner had private balcony on one side and shared balcony on other, great...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple