“Ok, but better to be found elsewhere.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shadow Angkor Residence

Shadow Angkor Residence
Ranked #140 of 500 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Ok, but better to be found elsewhere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

We were booked here for 4 nights in May 2012 but only stayed for 1 - I think that says it all really.

The room was ok but I wouldn't go any better than that. There was a lot of noise from the roller skating rink as other reviewers have found. The bathroom was extremely basic.

Then there was a stupid misunderstanding with the tuktuk driver who came to get us from the airport, who expected us to use him on every day of our stay in Siem Reap. Apparently the hotel "should have told us" that this was the deal - well they didn't, nothing of the kind was said to us, and we didn't even want a tuk tuk every day of our stay. So that caused a stupid unnecessary argument.

$20 was a low price to pay for a room, but there was better to be had in Siem Reap for this price. Breakfast was also extra. (We moved to Motherhome Guesthouse instead for the rest of our stay, which was the same price, 5 times nicer and included breakfast).

The owner at Shadow of Angkor did genuinely seem very concerned when we checked out earlier than planned, and wanted to understand what had gone wrong. I think our complaints were taken on board. But the bottom line is there is better accommodation available in Siem Reap for the same price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fierydormouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights after arriving via bus from Thailand.

The rooms were spacious and cleaned daily. We were travelling in a group of four, boys in one room, girls in the other. Unfortunately us girls got the room with the ancient air conditioning unit! It didn't really do the job and was very hot. I think we had room 14, so if you find yourself allocated with it, ask for a different room!

The location is great, just around the corner from the restaurants and bar street.

You can pay $1 to use the pool at the Shadow of Angkor II which is a short walk away.

Advice for anyone travelling from Thailand to Siem Reap via bus:
Don't give your passport or pay any money to the travel company driving you! We were dropped off at a restaurant and advised we had to wait, they then tried to tell us we must pay them for the Cambodian Visa and that it would cost 1200 Baht. There were four of us travelling together so we were not intimidated but we saw some people travelling alone who gave in to their demands. When we refused they were quite stand offish and said that because we wouldnt pay it would take a long time to get the Visa. We get back in the minivan, drive round the corner and appear at the Cambodian Consulate, 5 minutes and 1000 Baht later we have our Visa. Do not let these crooks fool you!

When you get in to Cambodia you get another travel guide. Ours told us that there were hardly any ATMs in Cambodia (only in the 5* hotels and they will change you 6%) and you must pay in the local currency Riel. We had tried to find this out before we went but were unable to as we had heard that it's best to pay in USD. So not wanting to be stranded with no money we changed our currency at the stop off point. BIG MISTAKE! Upon arrival at Siem Reap we discovered everything is in USD and we had been given a very poor exchange rate for our Riel! My advice - take plenty of USD with you before you travel! Everyone charges in USD!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Blueeyes_85_k
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here from March 16 - 19th, 2012. THis is a brilliant, clean hotel. The pool is one of the best in Cambodia as it is covered so offers an CoOL swim after a day out in the heat. The young man behind the desk 'Caea' was a lovely chap and generously purchased some chilli cockles from a street vendor to share with her after she expressed an interest in them.
We stayed on the third floor and had a balcony it was $25 a night - a great deal

Room Tip: Swimming pool is excellent and refreshing as it is covered from the sun
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I go to the Shadow for dinner quite a lot as I find the quality of food, value and staff to be all very good. The location is nice, the menu hosts both Khmer and Western dishes (incl. a beef stroganoff!) My partner loves the Lok Lak there and I particularly like the Cashew Chicken, and for around $4 a plate, how can you say fairer then that? I never stayed in their guesthouse so I couldn't comment there. Recommended for food though!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nil_and_Even
Sunshine Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We recently stayed at Shadow of Angkor II with are three young children for 8 nights and loved it. This hotel is in a great location as close enough to everything but nice and quiet at night. The rooms are cleaned every day and the whole hotel is clean and well kept. We got a double and a triple next to each other with a balcony for $54 a night for both. The pool is clean and just brilliant for kids after a day at the temples. The hotel has good Tuk Tuk drivers who took us out to temples and the airport and charged normal prices, they even picked us up from out of the way restaurants for $2.

Get your rates upfront when you arrive and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed here for quite a long spell...maybe too long ! There are 3/4 rooms with a private balcony but there were times when both the balcony and room were 'uncomfortable' due to the music and bass 'throbbing' from the roller-skating rink on top of the Trade Centre, opposite.
There were a couple of power-cuts before I left and I realised they do not have a back-up generator !
There seemed to be more than one 'boss' and no overall Manager and reception staff doubled as tuk-tuk drivers. Apart from one or two notable exceptions, English language was not a strong point of many staff, both in the GH and Restaurant.
The bathrooms were too small and comfortable use of toilet and shower severely restricted.
The room cleaners/cleaning schedules were not up to standard and I think the cleaners never cleaned the bathroom.
The thing which concerned me most was the 'security'. Every night, all balconies were closed and padlocked and had there been a fire on the ground-floor/wooden staircase, there was no escape route.
I was back early every night except one and when I returned at 11.00pm was surprised to see the entire place closed and padlocked although one staff member sleeping in the outside foyer was there to let me in.
Siem Reap has become over-subscribed with tourists and the Pub Street area is not the relaxing/entertaining place it used to be a few years back. I found that the Shadow's restaurant was just as competitive and the food good.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I traveled to Cambodia for three week during January and had a great experience. The hotel's restaurant was again average priced with average food, but the staff were wonderful. Rooms clean and fairly priced. On the first day we hadn't changed any money as we came from Thailand, a staff member from reception instead of directing me to a currency exchange, took me there and even negotiated so I could get a better rate, the bikes were easily accessible and when I rented the bike a staff member gave me a map for the temples and directed were to go. Also I enjoyed the balcony located on the second floor. The location was great, close to the market and not far from the temple's. Overall I would be more than happy to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple