“STAY HERE WHEN IN SIEM REAP!”

Memoire d' Angkor Boutique Hotel
Ranked #56 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We loved this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Siem Reap. We were celebrating my husband's birthday, and they thoughtfully upgraded our room to a suite and even orchestrated a surprise birthday greeting (with cake!) for him when we arrived to check in. The hotel also offers free airport shuttle (2-way) which makes your trip worry-free and convenient! Breakfast is good - try the noodles! And our package came with a free 60-minute massage. The staff are very competent and speak good English. It's near Pub Street as well and is only about a short 10-minute walk. STAY HERE and you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the first floor rooms as I can imagine those suffer from hearing the noise outside.
1  Thank gjchan
Write a ReviewReviews (3,410)

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Everything about this hotel is great including the friendly staff, beautiful rooms, great pool, delicious breakfast, central location, freebies- laundry, mini-bar, phone calls... I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rosy773
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Staff seem well trained – very polite and service orientated – always with a smile on their faces. You can’t help but like them for their genuine willingness to make you feel happy and welcome at all times.

The free airport transfer service was on time. The staff were very friendly and during the transfer, offered me a cooling towel to refresh myself along with a cold soda or water.

Check-in was straight forward. I was seated in a lounge area, provided with a nice cooling drink and asked to present my credit card and booking voucher. Within 5 minutes, I was escorted to my room. I appreciated not having to stand around at a reception desk - the staff did all the running around!

The entrance foyer – nicely designed and a good first impression. They have a nice shop selling beautiful locally made handicrafts and ornaments – I could easily have maxed out my credit card in there!

The room: Fine. Attention to detail lacking in certain renovations (e.g. splashes of paint where they shouldn't be) and with cleanliness (mould in tile grouting, strange stains on red couches etc). Those small things aside, you can see that a big effort has gone into creating a modern design with some nice local touches. The bathroom towels were nicely presented and bound by a pretty red ribbon plus they provided excellent amenities including bath robes, comb, shower cap, ear buds, cake soap, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. They also provided recycled (already worn) slippers – something I personally don’t find hygienic even if they are washed after each guest, but it is also the norm in many boutique hotels in Asia. Do not take them home as a souvenir as you will be charged for them ;). I appreciated the fact that I could open the windows in the room, to let fresh air in. The free mini bar contained two beers, two drinking waters and two coca colas. Not a huge selection but a nice idea in any case. I noted that you had the option to request more items in the mini bar – paid of course. Air conditioning was sometimes noisy –strange loud ticking noises which a few times woke me up. The same noise didn’t occur if I switched the aircon to a higher fan level. That wastes energy unnecessarily so perhaps a suggestion for the hotel to look into that issue to also minimise their costs.

Internet connectivity fluctuated greatly. I was in Siem Reap on a business trip and needed internet although I do know that this is a general problem in Cambodia so cannot blame the hotel for this. I greatly appreciated that the internet was free.

Room service – food was always to a good standard and taste, with fair portions. I never had to wait for more than 15 minutes for my order to arrive - that was quite impressive! Sometimes the food arrived slightly too cold though. And the red wine arriving at beyond room temperature – too hot. I ended up asking for ice to bring it to room temperature (yes ice in a wine is not usually a good idea but sometimes you do what you gotta do!). Plus there is actually no drinks list in the room – just a food menu. They need to include the drink menu in the room as well. I believe that room service is available up until 10pm - it is not 24 hour service. Keep that in mind if you like to eat later in the evening.

Breakfast buffet – very good standard and selection. Freshly cooked eggs. Both international and local breakfast dishes available. The man playing the local instrument – a nice touch – made it a very authentic Khmer breakfast. Staff were extremely friendly and welcomed and seated me within seconds of arriving.

The pool area looked nice and had day lounges as well. I personally didn’t use the pool so can’t comment further on that.

We had a minor incident whereby the hotel wanted to charge me USD5 for the accidental breakage of a small glass in my room (it slipped off the bathroom bench). I voiced my disagreement over this issue (on principle - the cost itself was not going to break the bank) and the hotel promptly removed the charge. The General Manager also sent a pleasant follow-up email to apologise for the misunderstanding – I greatly appreciated this gesture as it demonstrated to me that this hotel genuinely cares for their guests and addresses their concerns promptly.

The package that I booked was very generous and great value – it included a 60 minute massage, free buffet dinner, fruit basket etc. Unfortunately I had no time to avail to the massage or even the buffet dinner (maybe next time!) – and the fruit basket never arrived. The hotel also apologised for this oversight. For me, the missing fruit basket was no big deal and I believe it may have been related to my original room allocation being changed at the last minute upon check-in. The lesson here is to of course mention something to the hotel – I didn’t mention the missing fruit basket until the day before check-out hence part of the blame rests with me.

I recommend this hotel to both holiday makers and business people. It is a pleasant and comfortable hotel yet the thing which stands out the most, are the well trained and friendly staff. And I know they have the best interests of their guests at heart.

Room Tip: The main street can be quite noisy. I would suggest to ask for a room which is overlooking the pool...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MrsSuisse
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Most important: clean rooms, clean hotel! Nice hotel, beautifully decorated rooms, good breakfast with all kind of foods. I had a good Agoda offer, so I can say: good value for money (about USD 63/night). the only "problem" was, that with the Agoda-booking the room was only for 1 person/room and I was asked to pay for the additional person in the room. After negotiations they offered me to charge only additional USD 10/person/night for the breakfast - this was ok for me. I can recommend the hotel, specially when you see a good Agoda-offering.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some words about Siem Reap and the tourism industry there:
When in Cambodia, you clearly go to see the famous temples of Angkor Wat. For me, a one-day pass for USD 20/person is enough, no 3 day-pass needed. We hired a Tuk-Tuk-driver for 2 days, USD 25/day. The Cambodian government licensed the entrance to the temples to a Chinese (?) company who only controls the entrance to the huge area of temples (spread over hundreds of square kilometers). And this company checks at each temple again, that all visitors have a proper ticket. Besides controlling the tickets I did not realize what the "Ankor Wat Temple Management" company does: you have to pay for the toilet, the renovation of the temples is financed by Germany, Japan, India, the United Nations. For what are the USD 20/person/day used?

Tonle Sap lake: The Tonle Sap is a must to see. On my last visit in April 2010 I took the boat for USD 20 to drive through the canal to the open lake, visiting the floating villages outside on the lake, visited the blue/white swimming Christian Church with the small tower etc. - it was worth to pay USD 20 for the trip. But this time - July-2013 - it was a pure rip-off. USD 20/person for a 1 hour boat drive for some few kilometers in a canal that leads to the real lake is a rip-off! I asked at the ticket counter to go to the floating village etc. - they all smiled and told me "yes, yes". But at the end of the canal the captain did not want to go out to the lake - then we found out at this time of the year there is no floating village outside on the lake! When you are ripped-off here and there ... you will not go again to such places! (And you can believe me, I am a quite experienced traveller in South-East Asia in the last years). It's as always: Where there are too much tourists, there is always a tendency to rip-off the "stupid" tourists!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank StephanD1
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I usually stay in 7 or 8 hotels a year, and I'm completely sure it was the best hotel I've ever stayed. I strongly recommend this hotel if you want to enjoy Siem Reap much more. People really charming. I had a dilemma every day because I wanted to visit Siemp Reap and the temples, but on the other hand I felt really good inside the hotel...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Carlos R
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We spent 4 nights at this wonderful hotel, so what's the verdict?
Some say you will not get a 5 star service if you check in to a boutique hotel, they have proved the statement to be wrong. Our experience with the staff in the hotel was great, thoughtful, the willingness to help, the big smile when we are leaving the hotel, when we went back from a tiring walking around the temples, those are the small little detail that could have been neglected by any 5 star hotel; but I think they did a great job in every aspect of that.

Location is what we preferred, short 10-15 minutes walk to the pub street, old market, while hotel is away from the prime area, it gave us a proper down time rest (without interruption).

Breakfast was great, everything served is freshly prepared; not to forget, they threw in 2 cans of Angkor beer, 2 cans of Coke, and 2 btl of water daily!

I'll definitely recommend this to anyone, I'll definitely go back to this hotel when we plan our next Siem Reap trip!

Keep up the good work guys!

2  Thank c0ffeebeanie
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The property exceeded all expectations. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful in booking all of our activities. The drivers they hire for tours were great as well and I'd recommend Chan Tran (tuk-tuk #1). He made our trip around the ruins better by suggesting what we should and shouldn't see in our limited time. The rooms were very nice and my wife loved the bathroom (which is key at any hotel). Lastly the location of the hotel is perfect as you are walking distance from many activities.

Room Tip: The value of the hotel is very good, splurge for an upgrade. Our room on the fourth floor had a pri...
2  Thank hulennium