“Great hotel hidden away from the hustle and bustle”

Angkor Secret Garden Hotel
Ranked #59 of 515 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After a long day of travelling, I arrived at the Angkor Secret Garden Hotel at about 8pm-9pm. The staff were lovely and even insisted on showing me up to my room and carrying my luggage. By the end of that first evening, I was pretty much on a first name basis with all the staff! The staff continued to be friendly throughout my stay without being intrusive. Mr Lucky recommended things to do and see, and organised and booked them for me. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to the main street and the night markets, or a $2 tuk tuk drive. Often in the evenings, I would walk down to the main street and catch a tuk tuk back. In saying that, make sure you have the hotel business card on you as it is really well hidden and the tuk tuk drivers often need to see the map on the card to know where to go. Nevertheless, I found this to be one of the hotel's great advantages as it is very quiet and nice place to relax.

The room I stayed in was quite large with an ensuite bathroom which, had the best hot shower I have had in months! The bed was also quite comfortable especially by Asian standards. The included breakfast was great and I never left hungry! Also the wifi is really good.

My only word of warning is to watch out for the tuk tuk driver Panyan/Banyan (not quite sure how his name is spelt). He is not actually a hotel employee so this is not a reflection on my stay but more a word of advice. He was organised to take me around to the temples and various other places during my stay. The first day was fine as I had an English guide with me who also happened to be the hotel manager but on the second and third day I felt he was continually trying to scam me for money (not that he got much out of me). On the second day which, was my first day alone with him he wanted to stop for lunch. I said that was fine but I don't eat lunch so he could go off and I would just wait. He said he couldn't go without me yet was very insistent that he wanted to eat so I went with him to a restaurant/café near the temple we were visiting. The catch was he needed me to come because he expected me to pay for the food. He then tried asking me out for dinner but as I was now alerted to the game, I politely declined. He continued to push but thankfully, the place he wanted to take me I had already been to so I had an out. He wasn't particularly intimidating just whingey and as a young, solo, female traveller you don't really want to be put in a position where you are in a remote area and you've upset your tuk tuk driver making it tricky situation. On the final day, he started boasting about the tips he had received, I think he thought that this might encourage me to give him a really good tip. I did give him a tip as he had driven me around for three days but as I had bought him lunch and he made me a little uncomfortable at times I don't think it was as high as what he hoped! Once again, this is not a reflection on the hotel as I had a lovely stay but maybe watch out for this driver as I met some other guests a couple of days later who encountered similar problems with him.

Overall, the Angkor Secret Garden Hotel is a lovely place to stay, and I look forward to returning one day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah M

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We had such a good stay at Angkor Secret Garden hotel. Before we stayed Mr Lucky contacted us to offer a pick up from the airport. Our room was clean, simple and very spacious. The food at the restaurant/bar was good. Breakfast was included and you could order from the menu. When we went to see sunrise at the temples they packed us up a breakfast. The staff are absolutely amazing and cannot do enough for you. Mr Lucky is great fun. We had a good time hanging out with him and other travellers in the evening playing pool and having a few drinks. He organised trips and buses for us and even went off into town to sort out bus tickets for us when the wifi wasn't working very well. One night some of the staff were having a meal and drinks to celebrate the New Year and we were invited to join them. They made us feel like part of the family. This was our best experience on our whole trip! It is about a 15 minute walk to pub street or $1 in a tuk tuk.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Becky C
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great stay there, mostly because of the friendly staff and excellent atmosphere!
The rooms were simple but smelled nice and were very clean. The night we came there was no electricity because of the heavy rain but that staff was really friendy and helped us with what they could, offered us free drinks and a good laugh!
The hotel however is really a secret. Our friend Jimmy from Siem Reap picked us up from the airport and he did not know where this place is. We looked for it for about 45 minutes. It is hidden a way in a small street but because of that it is very tranquil and nice.
We loved it there! One of the tuk-tuk drivers (Lucky, I think) showed us around Angkor Wat and then the rest of the time the staff got us a bicycle and we went on our own.
Overall, I would go there again. It is not very central (about 15 min easy walk to the center) but it is worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lana502
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I selected this hotel as it looked like it was away from the hustle and bustle of the market /Pub Street area. I also thought that it would be place that's good value.

I arrived at Siem Reap late in the evening but they had a tuktuk driver pick me up from the airport which was great as I was worried I wouldn't be able to find the hotel easily so late at night.

The room I got was on the ground floor. It was very spacious and generally clean. The bathroom was okay. It didn't look very new but the rainforest shower head and consistent hot running water for showers was all I needed! What I also loved about the place is it was really quiet, and I'd literally wake up to the sound of birds chirping outside my room.

The free breakfast and wi-fi were both great. The wi-fi was fast. The food was very simple and basic - but delicious - they had a choice of things like banana pancakes, omelettes with a baguette or even fried local noodles. They mentioned that the coffee and tea could be served to guests free at any time.There's no bar at the restaurant but there's a pool table and a communal TV in the dinning area.

The location was great. Away from the noisy market/Pub Street area, but just a 10-minute walk to the area if you do decide to head out for some shopping or for some drinks. It was a bit hard to find on the way back, but that wasn't a problem. It's just a USD2 tuktuk ride away. Just make sure you bring the hotel's business card which has a map on the back.

The service was really good overall. There was always someone at reception or the dining area to attend to you. They seem to only replace the toiletries and towels on a as-requested-by-the-guest basis though. Lucky, Lake and the owner were all friendly. They helped me arrange my itinerary for the 3 days I was there. The tuktuk driver I got didn't speak great English but I didn't have any problems and the drivers pretty trust-worthy - they charge the proper amount for tours and short drives.

Overall, if you're looking for a hotel with great value and service (that provides basic amenities - no pool, no bar, no gym) and a place that's away from the market area but close enough to walk to, then this is great place to stay when in Siem Reap.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2014

For our first trip to Siem Reap, we got help from Lucky to answer my e-mail and set up the tour plan. We got shuttle taxi from the border to the hotel with convenience and tuk tuk tour to see sunset at Bakheng only 8 USD
Tour to Angkor Wat, Banteay Srei, Ta Prom, Bayon and Angkor Thom only 25 USD

The hotel itself is nice place to stay not far from night market only 10-15 minutes walk. The room is spacious, clean as you can expect from budget hotel at 15 USD/night.

The staff is very helpful and nice to talk with. Thank you them to make our trip cannot even more happier.

Stay in April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sombat_moo
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here through a recommendation of a mutual friend, and couldn't be happier with our time there. The staff are all so friendly and helpful, they helped plan all our days out, we even had a take away breakfast for our sunrise tour at Angkor Wat- an amazing experience and so much better with a lovely brekkie and a coffee at hand!

In regards to breakfast the banana pancakes are a must!

The rooms, although simple, had all the amenities, fridge, cable tv, air con, hot water. And with free breakfast too! Best value ever, as since traveling the rest of Cambodia we have had a hard time trying to find the same value for money.

Short tuk tuk ride to the main center where pub street is- don't pay more then 2dollars, but after a couple of times we knew the way and was only about a ten min walk.

Highly recommend this place to any budget traveler wanting a friendly and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank StephandKyle
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The owner is so friendly! He picked us up from the bus station himself for free. Breakfast was also free! Mr. Lucky (the owner) set up our tour to Angkor Wat and because we left at 5 am, he got up and packed our breakfast for us! The women working in the restaurant were also really friendly. The rooms were very clean except for a few stains on the sheets (which we were not bothered by.) Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple