“Absolutely fantastic”

Angkor Secret Garden Hotel
Ranked #57 of 495 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
“Absolutely fantastic”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I spent over a week here and it was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. The manager, Mr Lucky, was a fantastic host. Easy going and polite, helpful and pleasant to chat to. To make things simple I'll break it down to all the major concerns people usually have.

Facilities:
The rooms are simple but the beds are comfortable and clean. The rooms have fully working air-conditioning, and the staff give you mosquito candles to chase the bugs away. Clean bedding and fluffy towels, they even provide soaps and razors. They have a restaurant that serves simple food, but cheap and quite tasty. Private showers are clean, but no bathtubs, and no pool unfortunately. Not a big deal though, Mr Lucky will tell you which hotels etc have pools you can visit for free so long as you buy a drink there.

The place also rents bicycles FOR FREE. And they are in really good condition.
They also have a computer room where you can access the internet. The internet here was insanely fast compared to what I'd being experiencing in the surrounding area, and I was easily able to stream series online.

Atmosphere:
Outstandingly friendly staff. Incredibly helpful. The man who runs it, Mr Lucky, picks you up from the airport and offers his advice whenever you need it. They lock up the premises at night but have someone sleeping near the door to unlock it at any time, in case you decide to go party.

Location:
The Place itself is slightly hidden, down an alley. The alley itself is a bit decrepit, but once you get t the gates you will see that it's misrepresented. As far as noise goes, the venue is quite secluded despite being walking distance from the local club and pub scene. They are very central with regards to the restaurants, and easy access to roads which have bike-taxis and tuk-tuks. If you plan to go out this spot is the ideal distance.

Price:
We paid substantially less than some friends at a nearby B&B and they complained constantly. The quality you receive is well worth the price, and if you contact them in advance you can negotiate a reduced price, especially if you stay for long (like a week or more).

***The staff are really accommodating. One night a friend brought home a lady, and they quiclkly set up a room for him to go share with her, at 2am. However, not sure what the story is with "ladies of the night," so if that's your goal, I don't think this is the place for you.
***The staff also organised our ours of Ankor Wat through family, and so we got reduced prices, and they organised for the kitchen staff to wake up early and cook breakfast for us (5am) so that we could have a meal before we watched the sunrise at the Temples.

All in all it was a great place to stay. I've sent several friends not using this app, and they've all said the same. Book it. Book it now. Stop looking. This is the one

Room Tip: Top floors have better wifi, but the rooms all have really good wifi in general. In the rooms with t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrCapeTown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights. The hotel is located in a alley, so it's quiet. Lucky and the owner are very friendly. Wifi works good, food is good and breakfast is simple but good. Our bathroom had a big shower. Playing pool was great as well. Would stay here again!

Stayed August 2014
Hamburg
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed our time! This hotel has the friendliest stuff I have ever met. They invited us for having snake soup with them and we had some nice talk every night. Also they are planning tours and transport for you. Rooms were also pretty cool with AC and fan!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Imqty
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 15 July 2014

value for money, the room has the basic amenities like mini-ref, aircon & electric fan, towel, soap, and shampoo althou u can bring your own if you want. free bottled water everyday and you can ask for more. free breakfast and the restaurant has a wide selection of food. the hotel staff [ mr. lucky, mr. morm sokphon and our tuktuk driver] are very helpful and accommodating. Definitely, we enjoyed our stay in this great place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank amtmas86
manila
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Very good customer service. Provided a free tuk tuk airport transfer when we arrived in the evening. E mail responses were prompt. Free breakfast and my daughter just loved their banana pancake. On call tuk tuk service for a fee c/o Mr. Ti. Also provided the flexible temple tour at a reasonable price. Helped with circus ticket and so much more. Over all very good experience. Only downside is a rather secret place in a hidden neighborhood

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank filipin0traveller
Broome, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After a long day of travelling, I arrived at the Angkor Secret Garden Hotel at about 8pm-9pm. The staff were lovely and even insisted on showing me up to my room and carrying my luggage. By the end of that first evening, I was pretty much on a first name basis with all the staff! The staff continued to be friendly throughout my stay without being intrusive. Mr Lucky recommended things to do and see, and organised and booked them for me. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to the main street and the night markets, or a $2 tuk tuk drive. Often in the evenings, I would walk down to the main street and catch a tuk tuk back. In saying that, make sure you have the hotel business card on you as it is really well hidden and the tuk tuk drivers often need to see the map on the card to know where to go. Nevertheless, I found this to be one of the hotel's great advantages as it is very quiet and nice place to relax.

The room I stayed in was quite large with an ensuite bathroom which, had the best hot shower I have had in months! The bed was also quite comfortable especially by Asian standards. The included breakfast was great and I never left hungry! Also the wifi is really good.

My only word of warning is to watch out for the tuk tuk driver Panyan/Banyan (not quite sure how his name is spelt). He is not actually a hotel employee so this is not a reflection on my stay but more a word of advice. He was organised to take me around to the temples and various other places during my stay. The first day was fine as I had an English guide with me who also happened to be the hotel manager but on the second and third day I felt he was continually trying to scam me for money (not that he got much out of me). On the second day which, was my first day alone with him he wanted to stop for lunch. I said that was fine but I don't eat lunch so he could go off and I would just wait. He said he couldn't go without me yet was very insistent that he wanted to eat so I went with him to a restaurant/café near the temple we were visiting. The catch was he needed me to come because he expected me to pay for the food. He then tried asking me out for dinner but as I was now alerted to the game, I politely declined. He continued to push but thankfully, the place he wanted to take me I had already been to so I had an out. He wasn't particularly intimidating just whingey and as a young, solo, female traveller you don't really want to be put in a position where you are in a remote area and you've upset your tuk tuk driver making it tricky situation. On the final day, he started boasting about the tips he had received, I think he thought that this might encourage me to give him a really good tip. I did give him a tip as he had driven me around for three days but as I had bought him lunch and he made me a little uncomfortable at times I don't think it was as high as what he hoped! Once again, this is not a reflection on the hotel as I had a lovely stay but maybe watch out for this driver as I met some other guests a couple of days later who encountered similar problems with him.

Overall, the Angkor Secret Garden Hotel is a lovely place to stay, and I look forward to returning one day.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sarah M
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We had such a good stay at Angkor Secret Garden hotel. Before we stayed Mr Lucky contacted us to offer a pick up from the airport. Our room was clean, simple and very spacious. The food at the restaurant/bar was good. Breakfast was included and you could order from the menu. When we went to see sunrise at the temples they packed us up a breakfast. The staff are absolutely amazing and cannot do enough for you. Mr Lucky is great fun. We had a good time hanging out with him and other travellers in the evening playing pool and having a few drinks. He organised trips and buses for us and even went off into town to sort out bus tickets for us when the wifi wasn't working very well. One night some of the staff were having a meal and drinks to celebrate the New Year and we were invited to join them. They made us feel like part of the family. This was our best experience on our whole trip! It is about a 15 minute walk to pub street or $1 in a tuk tuk.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple