“Going the extra mile ...or 10”
Review of Dakshin's

Dakshin's
Ranked #33 of 898 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Price range: US$3 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“Going the extra mile ...or 10”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

A few questions to begin with --

1) How do you review an Indian restaurant in Siem Reap which insists on using "ghee" or "flour" of only one particular brand available only in India?

2) How do you rate a place where the owner Pannir is obsessive about being the biggest critic of his own food?

3) What do you say about the policy of a restaurant which agrees to make a dish just for you that takes 2 full days to make from scratch when "it is not even on the menu"?

Answers --
Well you just marvel and say "Wow"!!!

-- Yes -- They actually get their Ghee & Flour flown from India!!
-- Yes -- Pannir is an unhappy soul till every dish is just so!!
-- And Yes -- I had noted in my first visit that there was no "idly" on the menu and without bating an eyelid the owner (Pannir) asks me to come back after 2 days and he made it just for me from scratch (This dish is very time consuming and takes that long to prepare)!!

We went there twice and would have gone many more times had we stayed longer.
But the message is this --
- The food is authentic .... right down to the smallest ingredient in the final tempering
- The owner is a food lover / critic and is obsessive about doing the best Indian food
- The service is very attentive
- The quality of food is excellent and overall its great value for money.

Don't miss it in your Siem Reap itinerary.

Thanks Pannir!!

Pannirselvam B, Owner at Dakshin's, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Hi Raghu
That was a spectacular write up and I am thrilled and rejoiced especially being passionate and you are got that right.Yes I do get my spices by brand name and usually it is imported from Singapore my hometown.Thou spices ghee, atta flour are available in Phnom Penh but I choose to import most of them.To give an example wheat flour for chapati is easily available at Anhkor market much cheaper probably by half but that's not what I want I grew up having chapati made from pilsbury flour to date my personal opinion it's far superior to the ones you get here.My policy is simple I don't serve food that doesn't appeal me.so no double standards at Dakshin's one for me and different for guest in fact should be other way around.
Yes Sir idly is not that simple especially went you requested for next day my answer was simple we never use ready mix so it's from the scratch the tradional way well you agreed we made it and I know you throughly enjoyed it.I thank you for the order because I too craved for idly but I don't like to trouble my chef for myself but if it's for my guest why not after all that what Dakshin's about to go the extra mile to meet our valued guest satisfaction.
Dakshin'is focused on it's journey to excel and introduce the true Flavors of India and I'm not turning back even if it means making some extra bucks.I remember saying it to you went you offered to pay more to get it done next day that Money never rules me.
It was a real pleasure dining with us and look forward to you being Dakshins ambassador back home.Cheers! !!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth
“Fantastic flavours, highly recommend it”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Found Dakshin's on Trip Advisor and it lived up to the glowing reviews. Lovely restaurant with mezzanine level and run by passionate owner who takes pride in his establishment and it shows. We ate here twice in 3 days and were totally satisfied each time. The staff are wonderful and the food was great, reminded us of our favourite indian restaurant at home. The tandoori chicken was beautiful as were all the dishes and loved the complimentary poppadoms and chutney. We were so hungry the first night we went that we devoured the poppadoms and the waiter bought us another bowl when he noticed! Also had some very nice wines which have been hard to find on our travels through SE Asia. The only thing I would say is if you like it spicy make it very clear as we asked for spicy the first night but it wasnt spicy at all, even the vindaloo. This didn't detract from the flavours at all but we made more of a point of it the second time and they did make it spicier.

Hi
That was just wonderfu review and I appreciate your time and effort to write the review.What more one can ask for as a passionate owner of Dakshin's.I am glad you enjoyed on all your visits and even got the level of spice to your mark during your second visit.
I'm proud that my entire team is working as a unit and doing justice to all our valued guest.Overall I'm happy that you had a good experience in Siemreap based on your other reviews. Thank you once again.
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I decided to visit Dakshin after recommended by my cousin and also reading many positive feedback from travellers.

I am never a big fan of Indian cuisine, but I have to say I never regret stopping. The masala fish was especially tasty and flavourful. We totally enjoyed our meal there. Highly recommended.

Hi Lynna
It was a pleasure having you dining at Dakshin's and I'm so glad especially being recommended by your cousin cheers to him or her and also lifting to the standards set by all our wonderful guest thru their positive reviews.Thou honedtly i am extremely passionate about Dakshin's all this wonderful reviews just motivates me sky high.Thank you and hope to see you someday dining at Dakshin's!!!I
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing food and staff!”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Excellent food and service! Simply amazing Indian food in Siem Reap. Thali's were amazing and fairly priced for the freshness and quality of ingredients. WIll surely be back and you should go too!

Hi
Thank you for the lovely review and it's a wonderful feeling to know you had a great meal at Dakshin's especially someone who has visited South India and probably experienced the food culture there makes it even more awesome. Thank you once again and wish you all the best.Cheers!!!
United Kingdom
“You must go here..”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stumbled apon this lovely place by reading trip advisor reviews for Indian restaurants and so glad we did.

We went twice and if we had stayed in Siem reap longer would have gone again and again.

The building is beautifully decorated and the staff are so friendly with good english. The second time we met the owner who was warm and welcoming and generally a very nice man.

The food: I am a whimp when it comes to spice however this was no problem as they make your food to order. My partner however loves spice and loved a recommended dish.

Due to one bad review where someone was obviously trying to show off in front of friends they are cautious of putting too much spice in but have a great spice paste to add if you want a better kick.

The food was of amazing quality and quantity, great size portions. We have only had Indian from Uk but this trumped anything we have previously had.

They were all lovely people and can cater any special requirements with notice.

Cannot recommend this place enough!!! Thank you for a lovely time!!

1 Thank joandrik