“Best customer service and awesome massage”

Saem Siemreap Hotel
Ranked #56 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Great hotel for leisure travel. Very friendly staffs at the front desk, the pool, and the restaurant and excellent reliable tuk tuk drivers! The front desk manager Mr. Sonung offered very good suggestions, and was very accommodating. I booked 5 nights with the hotel via Expedia but decided to visit the Port City of Sihanoukville on the 4th and 5th night. The hotel not only changed our reservation without charge but also provided pick up service at the bus station when we returned from Sihanoukville. Our departure flight was a red eye flight at night, the hotel not only bell checked our luggage for free after we check out but also allowed us to use showers at the spa facility before sending us to the airport 12 hours after we checked out. In addition, we received complementary 60 min full body massage with essence oil upon checking into the hotel. The message was so good that for 40 dollars per person, we went for the massages two additional times. It was the best relaxation after spending a full day under the sun in Ankor Wat! Hotel's outdoor saline pool was also a very welcomed amenity. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to visit Siem Reap.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Xian Z
There are newer reviews for Saem Siemreap Hotel

Reviewed 23 December 2013

What a great staff, they accommodated our early arrival, provided me with a delicious birthday cake, (nice surprise). The room service was perfect, room was comfortable and super clean. Very quiet hotel..off the main drag but absolutely no problem to get a tuk tuk for $2 to take you anywhere. Breakfast buffet was well done- minor quibble with room temp milk and yogurt...good to put that on ice. Had a package which included "set" western meal; Would have liked a choice to have Asian vs western set...but no big deal as both our lunch and dinner were delicious. Wait staff was wonderful. Utilized spa service -also great...(and we live in Thailand so that is saying something)! Book with full confidence ; we are extensive travelers....this one 's a winner

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BayouPj
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I was recommended the hotel by a friend and didn't book because it was spur of the moment.
I just needed a one night stay. Everyone was as polite and caring as if I had booked for two weeks.
The room, on the fourth floor,was big and had a really comfortable bed. The bathroom had a luxurious bath!
When I stepped out of my room this morning I could see Ankor Wat in the distance.
My balcony overlooked a lovely big swimming pool.
The breakfast was buffet with so much choice.
A tuk tuk picked me up in town and a car dropped me back this morning at the bus station.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Janet G
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Me and my sister stayed at the Saem SiamReap hotel for three nights and as seasoned travellers, we have to say our experience ranks amongst the best of all the hotels we have ever stayed at. The hotel staff (especially Sonung) were so friendly and accommodating, the food was amazing quality, the rooms were spacious, and immaculately cleaned with fresh fruit and water. Small touches like this can really make a holiday. A special mention goes to the hotel manager, Kamsan who gave up his time to help us arrange flights when the internet went down. We got an excellent deal through the hotel website (and it's worth checking out their web pages before you book) which included a free massage - the Spa manager Piscal was so attentive to make sure our massage was first rate. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It's made our stay in Cambodia very special indeed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Declan995
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We had a minor bump in the road when our plane arrived early to Siem Reap airport. We waited around for a bit but the driver hadn't arrived, so we hopped in a taxi cab. He must have arrived not more than a minute later, cause he found us in the taxi but it was too late. To make up for it, the driver gave us a complimentary ride to a restaurant for dinner which made up for the miscommunication. The rooms and the bed were super comfortable, the only weird thing was our hot water was reddish colored. We aren't bothered by this sort of thing- we just didn't drink it! The staff and bar were awesome, and the hotel was beautiful. Make sure you bring the address with you when you are out and about, many of the tuk tuk drivers don't know it because its so new!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed there for 3 days last week and had a wonderful experience. The best part of Hotel Saem Siemreap is that they do things that make you feel good all the time - and this became more evident to us as we followed this with a visit to another hotel where explicit attempts to cut costs were extremely jarring.

They offer free pickup and drop to the airport for all guests, and that helps them establish a good connect with the guests as soon as they land in the city. Rooms are clean and done up 3-4 times a day (only grouse was the water in the bathroom was muddy - leading to brown bath tubs. Not sure if it's a hotel-specific problem or generic to Siem Reap). Furniture and fittings are generally good.

The breakfast was brilliant. When you stay at one place for longer than 2 days it is important that you don't get bored with the hotel breakfast and they changed enough in their breakfast menu there that we looked forward to it every day. Then, room service was prompt and their restaurant was reasonably priced, though we didn't do more than one meal there (since we preferred to hang out in the city).

The hotel is away from Pub Street which is the happening area in Siem Reap but there are plenty of Tuk-tuks to take you both ways (for USD 2) so the distance is not an issue.

Room Tip: We chose the "city view" (i.e. the standard non-pool view room). Given that in Siem Reap y...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karthik S
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Traveled here with in late November and stayed at Saem Hotel for three nights. Hotel was lovely about picking us up very late from the airport and the driver waited more than an hour as our flight was delayed. We very much appreciated this as we had no way to reach them and notify of our late arrival. Our charming driver was very kind and helpful, even at such a late hour and offered cool, scented towels and bottled water at the car which was a welcome start.

LOCATION
As it was pitch black (past midnight) when we arrived, we had little idea as to the location - only that we were somewhere down a pot-hole filled, bumpy road. But the hotel seemed an oasis and we were soon checked in, shown to our pool view room on the third floor by Sopheap and our bags trolleyed up moments later. A complimentary platter of fresh fruit awaited us and that was a nice touch.

Here is where things take a turn: the location. I hate to fault this charming little place but if you're used to venturing out on your own, Saem hotel is not ideal, and when the sun came up I realized just how impossible it was for us to step foot farther than the lobby door. It is not the hotel's fault that they are located off the tourist track, and surrounded by local homes and businesses. The area is a bit rough around the edges but nothing to be afraid of. You can take a tuk tuk or request their car (for a fee) to get into town. That seems fine but we would've liked to have wandered out on our own, on foot, if possible. It was not possible so we didn't try it. I noticed hotels in town (Hyatt, Raffles, etc.) are on actual paved roads where walking is possible if you like. Additionally, those who are craving a holiday with solitude and quiet take note: every single morning of our stay at about 4:00am, we were awakened by terrible music that sounded like wailing and it went on for hours. It could've been from a nearby mosque; it could've been someone's radio at full blast - we've no idea. But the hotel cannot do a thing about it and while we understand that and do not fault them in the least, I'm mentioning it here so that others are aware of it. We had "music" of this type (and it was awful), all three days of our stay. This also made relaxing at the hotel impossible since you can hear surrounding noises fom your balcony, in the lobby, at the pool...etc. The only break we had from it was inside the spa. Fortunately, much of our days were spent touring the countryside and temples so we only were annoyed by the music early a.m. and late afternoon. It was very tiresome, however.

HOTEL
I realized on this trip that while my husband and I enjoy smaller hotel properties, it is nice to be in a place that has spacious common areas like a lobby, sun room, pool or bar. Saem is TINY and while this can be a good thing it quickly became a downside for us. The bar is very small and as everything on the main floor is open-air, there is no respite from the humidity or heat. You either sit in your room with air-con, or sweat by the pool or in the tiny bar.

ROOMS
Rooms are tidy if a bit spartan but are very clean and well kept. We kept hitting our knees and feet on the bulky bed frames that have dangerous corners (OUCH!) but perhaps that is owing to our own clumsiness. The bathroom had the most basic amenities (shampoo, lotion, body gel - no hair conditioner) and the shower curtain is the annoying kind that sort of blows around when the shower gets going. There also was no luggage stand so we placed our suitcases on the settee to get them out of the way. Air-con is sufficient though do take note once you remove your key from the holder just inside the door, all electrical things come to a full stop and the room heats up again while you're away.

The hotel itself is swept clean every morning and the trees, plants, flowers and common areas are filled with greenery. This is a welcome sight and makes it seem like a lush, tropical oasis. Even our hotel room had a fresh, green plant in the bathroom.

FOOD
The breakfast buffet at the hotel is ample and was included in the price. I had wonderful made-to-order noodles for breakfast two days in a row and they were spicy and fantastic. The last morning, an omelet made to order with crisp bacon was just perfection was very much enjoyed. Downsides: Breads here are very dense and dry; and coffee is weak, but you can order cappuccino or latte. Tea is also mediocre and no other kinds were offered table side which seems odd - tea being so popular in Asia. Juices did not seem to be fresh squeezed either (concentrate). Lunch and dinner are the stand outs - brilliant portions, fresh, tasty and well presented. Dinner was also very nice - our last evening we had a quick meal before heading to the airport and so I opted for a chicken burger and french fries - delicious! Better than anything I've ever had in the states. And of course, service is attentive and kind.

SERVICE
It is difficult to say anything negative about Saem Hotel because the staff is SO NICE. Truly, they bend over backwards to ensure the comfort of guests and they are the sweetest, most kind and genuinely caring people I've ever encountered whilst traveling. I am grateful for this. However, kind greetings, hellos and smiles cannot make up for poor English - especially in a location that sees a great deal of tourists. My recommendation for the manager is that the staff have a bit more training on English as some of our interactions became frustrating when the staff could not grasp the concept of what we were inquiring about. Simple things like: a request for a shaving kit; help making a restaurant reservation in town (I had to look up the number on my personal i-Phone for them!); an iron and ironing board... Again, we are patient and kind travelers. I myself worked in the hotel industry and we are not needy people, but requests and repeated explanation for the most basic items that should be easily understood by hotel staff became tiresome. One day, we went to Reception and the Trainee was the only person there - and he spoke next to no English! Why would a manager leave the Trainee on the floor completely alone???

SPA
I feel the word "Spa" is a bit exaggerated as Thida Spa is really just two treatment rooms and a sauna. My husband enjoyed the back massage but my coconut "glow and massage were mediocre. The therapist was very kind and sweet, but lacked the attention and finesse one usually expects from a skilled massage technician. Also, the spa does not have any "quiet room" or lounge and we were not offered any beverage before or after our treatments. The packages are very affordable though and the rooms and spa area is extremely clean.

SUMMARY
In sum, if we ever travel to Siem Reap again, we will try another hotel closer to the center of the city where we have the opportunity to walk and the hotel is a bit larger and more comfortable. For value, Saem Hotel is a fine choice - they work very hard and get an "A" for effort. I would say the hotel and facilities are on par with a three star hotel (not four, which they advertise). We paid $60USD/night and "got what we paid for", plus a bit more (again, service was lovely). We chose Saem based on TA reviews and I feel the reviews were not entirely correct (at least for the kind of travelers we are). Based upon all of the raves, I expected a lot more - but then again, perhaps it is the location that was just not a fit (and that is not the fault of the hotel).

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floor rooms facing pool have best location
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CAbeachbabe