“Five star hotel at a two star price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel 20th Street

Hotel 20th Street
Ranked #126 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Five star hotel at a two star price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I showed up in Siem Reap Without any reservations and stumbled upon this gem. Its centrally located and is only a block from charles de gaulle blvd (a straight shot to Angkor wat). The staff is very friendly as well as the manager. Do yourself a favor and try the Cambodian curry.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank chefjuice
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for your great review. I am so pleased we were able to satisfy all your needs.

It is a pleasure to host such appreciative Guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Stenloese, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We (family of 4) stayed 6 nights and had a very nice time! The Hotel is nice and clean, and has a very nice pool area. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. Highly recommend ! And very good value!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel G
Thank you for your recent review, agreeing we have a great Hotel and are very good value. As a Family orientated Hotel we do try to ensure the Children also enjoy their stay. The pool being a very popular attraction on our hot sunny days.
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Recently stayed for 5 nights. A lovely hotel with very friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them.The only negative point was Shower outlet mounted too low and no shower curtain so water fooded the bathroon if one was not careful.. But overall, agreat place to stay.

Room Tip: Even street facing rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Roben
Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just returned from a great trip to Siem Reap to take part in the Angkor Wat Run and Bike race, with a group of 44 9 & 10 year olds! Garry the owner of the hotel was really flexible in meeting our requirements (changing numbers, meal times, room configurations, diet requirements of different students etc) both before the trip, where emails were answered promptly and during the weekend. The rooms were great and excellent value for money and we had some great food. The staff were all really helpful and worked hard. The hotel is kept really clean.
To conclude the stay at this hotel really help make our trip successful and I would fully recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bxcwxc
It is so great to be able to make our Guests stay as seamless and enjoyable as possible. Our Staff are truly welcoming, friendly and accommodating.

Thank you for such a heartfelt review.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This hotel gives you so much value for the price. The staff is excellent and really try to all they can to help you with anything you might need. The pool is very nice, rooms are well appointed and comfortable. Everything was in working order and clean. The only negative I could find was that the beds are slightly uncomfortable, but not unsleepable by any means. The standard of this hotel was far above my expectations for the price, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Taunya M
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

By way of background; I stayed at the Golden Dynasty for a number of nights in October 2013, having booked through an online agent.

I've agonized a long-while about what rating to give the hotel. Whilst reviewing tripadvisor when deciding where to stay in Siem Reap I found that the ratings for hotels and guesthouses in Siem Reap to be absurdly high across the board; making it quite difficult to differentiate between establishments. With this in mind a two-star review is perhaps more damning than It may elsewhere be, but is intended "objectively".

I'll start with the positives:
- the room was generally clean and seemed new;
- the air conditioning was effective; and
- the native Cambodian staff were, for the most part, friendly. A lady "Rem" on the bar, in particular, gave helpful advice about where to eat.

and the not so positives:
- despite claiming that bed linens would be changed every three days, mine were not changed once for the duration of my stay (longer than said period...): this despite noticeably needing to be changed as I had picked up a wound;
- My room was near to the reception/bar area and (inexplicably, despite seemingly no-one ever occupying the bar) they decided to play loud music until between 10 and 11.
- I was unable to get hot (or even warm) water from the shower prior to 5am in the morning, despite running the water for over 10 minutes (an issue if you want to go for a sunrise trip). The water ran warm/hot in the evenings.
- I had an "over bath" shower (photo attached). It was at a height such that a dwarf would have had no chance of standing underneath, leaving washing to be an awkward experience.
- The toilet in my bathroom was so close to the sink that I had to sit semi-sideways so as to not crush my knees on the sink.
- There was a pipe in my bathroom (photo attached) that appeared to link to the room above. It wasn't clear to me where the water from said pipe was coming from, but there was an almost constant dripping from the pipe which was both annoying and disconcerting (was the water clean?!)
- The water from the above mentioned pipe dripped onto a drain (photo attached) which was not effective at draining away and led to an unpleasant musty smell in the bathroom.
- The curtains were completely ineffective at keeping out light.
- the staff have limited English (and less of other European languages) which at times made even basic communication challenging;
- The location of the hotel is down a somewhat dodgy looking side-street that I wouldn't feel comfortable walking down as a solo female traveller.
- The fridge in my room was not functioning when I arrived. After requesting twice that it be fixed, somebody came and played with it such that it did turn on, but for the duration of my stay it never reached a temperature anything near "cold", despite playing with all the settings.
- the drivers offered by the hotel are over-priced and (although convenient to be arranged directly for you by the hotel) I found to be unfriendly and unhelpful. (e.g. Me: "It's a nice afternoon and I think I'd like to go to watch the sunset at Angkor Wat, can we please go there?" Driver: "hah, no Angkor Wat not on loop", Me: "yes, I know, but that's where I'd like to watch the sunset, so can we please go there?", Driver: "No, Angkor Wat long way", Me: *shows map* "same distance as loop", Driver "yes, but not on loop", Me: "I can pay more if that's what you want, I just want to go to Angkor Wat", Driver: "But not on loop"...(you get the idea - repeat ad infinitum...)
- finally: despite the hotel clearly not being fully occupied (I hardly saw anyone during my stay) my request for a delayed checkout (until 3pm; so not exactly unreasonable I didn't think) was denied. Having then cleared my room and gone to check out, the lady on reception told me she had changed her mind and I could keep until 3. Frustrating and generally unhelpful.

This feels like it has been somewhat of an essay, but I felt the need to justify what (overall) I found to be a negative experience.

As a bit of a post-script: if you do decide to stay here, try to book directly through the hotel as you'll be treated as a bit of a second-class citizen otherwise (extra charges for transfers etc).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank UK89Traveller
I am very sorry that you consider yourself a second class citizen, as our aim is to provide the best service possible. Due to the high commissions we pay online travel agents we are unable to provide free transfers for those reservations.
Our prices for tours are governed by the tuk tuk Drivers themselves, and we know that they are comparable to all other hotels and outside Drivers.

regarding the hot water issue. Our hot water is heated by a heat exchange system, which formally was boosted by turning on electric heaters at 5am. Thank you for pointing out this problem which has now been rectified by turning heaters on at 4am.

The issue of morning sunshine is at present being fixed by the installation of block out curtains.

The water "coming from the pipe" is of course the condensate from the air conditioning unit which must freely drain.

Thank you for your critique and pointing out some of our inadequacies.

Garry S

GM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed he after reading reviews and pretty happy ,as at the title said staff and location are great , rooms are clean and a good size , the pool and happy hour wonderful . The couple of things stopping me giving more stars , 1 curtains are very thin so sunrise the room was very bright good for early rising not so for sleeping in 2. Shower is for midgets and no hot water only tepid .3. Breakfast not great

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank waiash
Thank you so much for your excellent review. Our location is indeed well chosen. In the peaceful area of Wat Bo Village, but only a 15 minute walk along the lovely Siem Reap river ( or a $2.00 tuk tuk ride) to the centre of town. We believe we have the" best of both worlds"
We are at present installing block out curtains so the early morning sun will never again disturb our Guests