“Good Hotel”

Ranked #137 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Shanghai, China
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

They have dumplings ! And tastes good ! so we ordered twice. The staff were very friendly and a little shy. The room is clean and comfortable. A little far from the old market, but there was a supermarket at the corner.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tao C
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your review. I must agree with you the Chnese dumplings are excellent. We actually had an Expat who lived in Shanghai who recently said they were better than she could get there.
We are a good 15 to 20 minute walk or a $2.00 tuk tuk ride from the Old Market indeed, but we are situated in a quiet area where a good nights sleep is possible.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
colorado
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I found this boutique hotel after the guest house I thought I would stay in was not available. I am so happy I found it! A definite step up from most guesthouses, it has a pool, nicely furnished rooms, a good quality sleep, quiet with good beds and a great staff. The room came with a hair dryer and a water kettle which I love having! It has a nice small pool and bar area as you enter from the street and a real lobby and reception area. The staff is great. The hotel is in the wat bo area with plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby. It is a 10-15 minute walk to the center of Siem Reap along the canal.

Room Tip: I always choose an upper storey room not facing the street, but it's not a particularly noisy st...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ColoradoVirginia
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Another 5 star review. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel.
Your remarks regarding the pool are well recieved, as with this hot weather Guests are finding it so cool and refreshing. We do our best to make our Guests stays as seemless as possible, and my Staff certainally try to cater for all Guest needs and requests.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us.

Thank you again.
Haines Junction, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This hotel was pretty good. I wouldn't say it was outstanding. Has a pool, rooms were clean. The staff were nice but not overly helpful. The owner was very nice. The restaurant food- don't bother, it was bad, especially since you can get really amazing food in other locations. Quiet street. Well priced for siem reap. There are lots of overpriced resorts. This is a good, comfortable hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LGorecki
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your review of our Hotel. I welcome all comments whether positive or negative, especially as the negative ones give us the chance to make possible required changes.

I do apologise that you recieved a less than satisfactory meal. Most of our comments regarding food are very positive, and should a guest mention a problem with a meal to our staff this is generally rectified straight away.

We appreciate you taking the time to review our Hotel
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were not interested in staying in a big hotel, and do appreciate smaller hotels and guesthouses.
We picked this hotel from the internet and communicated with the owner, which was very efficient.
We were given choices of rooms and a good description of each.
Based on this, we chose the mandarin deluxe room, which had a queen bed, a double bed and ensuite bathroom.
The only recommendation I would have for the hotel, which other guests have mentioned, is that a shower curtain would be good, as the water does tend to splash on the bathroom, and is a slip hazzard.
The hotel is in a great location, about 15 minutes walk from the centre of Siem Reap, or a USD2/one way trip by tuk tuk. The hotel has its own tuk tuk drivers, who are used to taking people into town or on other sightseeing tours, which can be booked through the hotel.
There is a small supermarket very near the hotel, though the water prices at the hotel are quite competitive.
We got our laundry done at a shop across the road from the hotel, for USD1/Kg. Great service, and the clothes are returned in a day.
The hotel pool is popular and clean, with towels replenished frequently.
It was great having the airconditioning on the room when we were not there, so it was cool when we returned.
The food in the hotel is very good, especially for the price.
Breakfast is not included, but this can be obtained for USD5/pp, or there are heaps of other options around the hotel or in town.
Happy hour/s is always popular.
We loved our stay there, though communication with some of the staff could be challenging.
Nothing a smile and chat with the owner can't fix.
Would recommend and definitely consider this an option for our next visit to Siem Reap.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank patsy_hetherington
Thank you for the "glowing" review of our Hotel. We do belive that our location in the quieter Wat Bo Village area gives us a edge over some of the establishments near Pub Street which are very noisey.
The decision not to use shower curtains was made by the previous owner and supported by myself. The bathrooms are, as in much of Asia regarded as "wet rooms" with textured tiles on the floor to prevent slipping, and ledges to prevent water entering the bedroom. Mildew and the associated smell is a real problem with shower curtains and I suspect this is also part of the reason for not using them.

Again. I would thank you for such a great review, feedback is very important in maintaining standards in any Hotel.
mpls
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Good hotel with air conditioning and a pool for the $25 we paid. The staff are basically impossible to communicate with but the owner fixes most mistakes. Do not accept a room at the back as the staff run up and down loud metal stairs starting at 7am.

Cheap happy hour and a 10-15 minute walk or a $1.50 tuk tuk ride from the more wild Pub Street.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sam3g
Gazza0311, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am a little perplexed regarding the comment regarding the staff communication. Most have rudimentary English, and we actually have a study area set aside in the restaurant area where I have an English Teacher assisting with 2 groups for 1 hour each group per day.
Thank you for your positive comments.
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The staff, led by proprietor Garry, were very friendly, helpful, and added to the overall positive experience. Everything in Siem Reap is a bargain compared to what I'm used to in Tokyo so I cannot comment on whether Golden Dynasty is a relative bargain given the cost of living in Siem Reap. However, we got a clean and spacious room for around US$50 a night so I didn't feel any need to comparison shop. Overall, I am pleased with my stay.

However, there are a couple of things that I thought were strange oversights. Because I don't know whether this is standard for Siem Reap hotels, I did not downgrade the overall rating of this review and instead am elaborating within this review itself. First, there were no shower curtains. I am really not a fan of water splashing out of the tub. Therefore, because I was stressing out about minimizing the splash, I was not able to enjoy a much-needed refreshing shower after a day outside. Having the bathroom floor drenched is not only a tripping hazard but also seems unsanitary. Second, and completely inexcusable, is the lack of privacy curtains on the windows. The provided curtains are completely useless, and so the interior of the room is completely unshielded from outside view. Be careful, ladies!

When Golden Dynasty rectifies these two issues, it would easily be a highly recommended property. However, if these two issues remain unaddressed, it would be difficult to enthusiastically recommend this place - especially to my female friends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Botayone
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. we appreciate all feedback whether complimentary or critical. All critiques are taken in to consideration to help us improve both our general service and Hotel standards.

I can now advise all future Guests that the block out curtains ( for which we had the curtain tracks installed in early December 2013, with a promise that the curtains would be here before Christmas) we have this day 25th February 2014 finally received the last of them and they are now complete. I lost a lot of hair during this period, but HEY, this is Cambodia. Things unfortunately do not happen very fast around here.
Apologies to all those who found the lack of privacy and the fact of early morning sun disturbing their rest.

With regard to the lack of shower curtains, I have stayed in over 50 properties all around SE Asia and most bathrooms are regarded as " wet areas" and all have a raised ledge to prevent water entering the bedroom area. This also has much to do with mildew which rapidly grows on shower curtains. Textured tiles are laid in all wet areas to prevent slipping on wet floors.

Thank you again for your kind words regarding the Staff and our Hotel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

My family and I loved our stay at Golden Dynasty!
We were there of 4nights!
The staff were very friendly and helpful. Especially the young man who manages the hotel.
Rooms were clean. Loved the pool area. Good spot away from the main tourist areas but not far to walk or get a tuk tuk. Supermarket right next door with ATM and everything you need. They can book taxis and tours for you. We loved our stay in Siem Reap!
Thank you Golden Dynasty!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for your 5 star review of our Hotel. Pisey, my Assistant manager certainty does almost run the Hotel doing a wonderful job liasing with Guests with almost perfect English,myself having very limited Khmer. I agree the location is excellent, being situated in a quiet street in Wat Bo Village, but only a 20 minute picturesque walk along the River or a $2.00 tuk tuk ride to the action of Pub Street. The mini mart 50 metres away caters for all Guest holiday needs and more at very realistic prices. Some of our Guests hardly leave our popular the pool area which is especially popular after a day of " temple hopping"