“Not only best Shower in Siem Reap but...”
Review of Hotel 20th Street

Hotel 20th Street
Ranked #127 of 371 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just an amazing find for me.
Had stayed in 4(yes you read that right) 4 different hotels in Siem Rep in the 9 days previous to moving in to the Golden Dynasty. Why? Well I enjoy a good hot shower and rooms at a reasonable rate (a pool is a bonus!). Didnt find that until I happened across Golden Dynasty.

What did I like about the Hotel?
First impressions were great, lovely staff.
Even tho I was early, a quick check in, the welcome drink and then down to room 18 on the ground floor. I could say this had a pool view but that would only be by sticking my head out the door and looking down the hallway :-)
Otherwise just a view of a service area with some motor bikes next to the hotel.

Didnt worry me as I had booked a room, without a view, to get the ridiculously inexpensive deal!
Less than half what I had previously paid, for a much better room. In fact it was so good that I extended my stay by a week.
AND..the fabulous shower, good pressure, constant temperature and room to swing a cat while showering. OK I didn't swing a cat but could have showered "with a friend" if I was not travelling solo :-(
Big flat screen TV mounted on the wall. I like that as it leaves lots of free desk space.
The AC unit was effective and quite! As a bonus it was not switched off when the electric was switched off when you removed the key. A bonus on coming back from a hot sweaty day out.
Curtains had backout screens, which is handy for us sloths that like to sleep in.

So you are saying to yourself, what didnt I like. Well the pool was NOT surrounded by lovely young French ladies in bikinis EVERY day :-( Just some days!!!

No draft beer. But no worries nice restaurant across the road (Two Dragons) also had an alternative menu.

The location of the hotel is interesting. Its 45 metres down a dirt road from the main(busy) paved street system. But that had its own charm. Sort of like living in a rural village when first stepping out of the hotel grounds. On the corner is a nice minimart with lots of western food. Quite a range of breakfast cereals for those who want a western breakfast treat.

Needless to say there are tuktuks available at the hotel entranceway and the staff can arrange other stuff.

So in summary, oops did I mention the fantastic shower? In Summary, would go there again in a heartbeat. In fact looking at taking her who must be obeyed, next year. She hates the heat and foreign countries, but think she will like the Golden Dynasty.

so there, give it a go, I am sure you will be pleased.

Room Tip: I was happy with room 18. No stairs to climb!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

This must be the most lengthy and most interestingly witty review ever posted on Trip Adviser.

Well done. This guest we a delight to Host and We would like to say a big thank you for such a positive review, and look forward to meeting again in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for four nights.
Was upgraded by the gracious kiwi host and throughly enjoyed our room.

Value for money is unbeatable.
Hotel is clean, modern, great pool and good food at great prices.
Location is perfect for those who like a small walk and/or tuk tuks are always close by if not.

Only hesitation is the majority of the staff are clearly new to the business. We had a couple of incidents that were eventually worked out but ended up involving three - five staff over trivial matters.
The night manager is the standout. Gracious and informative.
I understand the staff are improving and with that there will be nothing to fault about this excellent hotel.

Another great review.
Thank you for you comments on value for money, our clean, modern Hotel ( although 18 months old we try to keep maintenance up to date always making everything look fresh and clean) and the good food at great prices.

I do take in your comment on our Staff sometimes misunderstanding Guests. I believe they sometimes get flustered as the translation from Khmer to English is usually backwards and the grammer so different.We actually conduct English classes for two seperate groups 5 times a week, so this problem is slowly being resolved.

Thank you for taking the time to review us

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Golden Dynasty in Siem Reap, Cambodia. It was a lovely place to stay in. Breakfast was extra, but could be eaten poolside or indoors. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent, and is walking distance into town. There were tuk tuk drivers stationed outside the hotel, ready to take you anywhere. My only concern is having red curtains and red pillowcases in each room: anyone into colour therapy knows that this colour is not conducive for a good night's sleep. Apart from that I loved staying there and it was so affordable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your positive review on our Hotel and services. It wasa delight to have two such charming Ladies staying with us.

It is a shame you did not bring the problem of the red pillow cases to me as we do have a supply of white ones for those who prefer not to use red.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel was a little bit of a walk from the major touristy areas like the night market and pub street but was definitely do-able. There were a few restaurants very close by, as well as a corner store. There are also no shortage of tuk-tuks if you are looking to explore further!

We appreciated the clean bedrooms and bathrooms and air conditioning. We didn't use the pool during our stay but it looked lovely. The manager speaks English well and was very helpful and attentive. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back again!

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Hotel and services. We appreciate you taking the time to do this.
I agree we are a 20 minute walk or a $2.00 tuk tuk ride to the action of Pub Street, but as you know we are located in the quiet Wat Bo Village area which guarentees a good nights sleep.

Your feedback also gives our Staff a boost and encourages them to higher levels of service.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Everything about this hotel was great with the exception of the breakfast. The pool is super clean, the beer is cold and the rooms are large, quiet and clean. The staff was very helpful and the dinners were also good. I'd definitely recommend this hotel, or stay here again if I return to siem reap.

• Stayed: July 2014

We are very pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and would like to thank you for your excellent reveiw of the Staff, rooms and dinners.
I am sorry you were disapointed with the breakfast. We would have preferred to be notified about the problem at the time. After 40 years in hospitality I do know that even the best establishment can produce a less than satisfactory meal from time to time. Had you brought this to the Service Staff's attention I am sure this could have been rectified.
Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the Golden Dynasty for four nights towards the end of June. Was a great find a little way away from the noise of pub st. Beautifully clean, with large rooms, and attentive and friendly staff. Ate a dinner meal in the restaurant, whoch was also great - tasty and very reasonably priced. Also a friendly kiwi owner.

• Stayed: June 2014
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Everybody is probably betting a little bored with me saying this, but we just love 5 STAR REVIEWS.
We know that a major selling point is the fact that we are in a very quiet area away from the noise and bustle of Pub Street, but only a $2.00 tuktuk ride in to the action. Your remarks on our large clean rooms , the friendly staff and the great tasty food have been well received by myself and the Staff. Thank you for your positive review

Reviewed 6 July 2014

this hotel is the nicest budget hotel we've stayed in across Asia. Great staff, great pool, great price. The standard of service was excellent, great cleaning job, pool immaculate. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

We are delighted you and your Family really enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to Host you. The Staff all enjoyed your friendliness, and of course responded in kind. The pool is a great attraction at present with the weather still so hot. Thank you for the great review