“What a Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #126 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“What a Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel was absolutely wonderful. The staff helped us out in numerous ways and were always more than pleased to assist us. Rooms were very clean and when power was lost all over Siem Reap their generator kicked in within minutes. Worth every penny.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Wow, and another 5 star review. I do get really excited when I get such amazing hearfelt reviews.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you so much for taking the time and giving my staff and the Hotel such a "glowing report".

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

The rooms are very clean and functional; excellent for the price.

We didn't go swimming but nice to have the option of an outdoor pool and it looked clean.

They forgot to clean our rooms on the second day, but rushed to do so when reminded. Helpful staff at front desk.

Only problem was that many tuk tuk drivers were unsure of where the hotel was! On the first night, we ended up driving aimlessly for 15 minutes whilst our driver stopped to ask other locals for directions.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Adviser.

I apoligise for the Housekeeping Staff not servicing your room, but am pleased it was rectified once reported.

I think that due to the phenomenal development of new Hotels and Guesthouse in Siem Reap that the tuk tuk Drivers have trouble keeping up. This is still a problem for us though the Hotel has been open for 19 months.
One point of reference I will share here for future Guests is to tell the Driver we are in Wat Bo Village, opposite Two Dragons Guesthouse. ( They all know this older established business)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was looking for another hotel and when i saw the add (15$ + outside pool), i gave it a try.
The room was clean, comfortable, nice bathroom, etc.
The staff was nice but sometimes hard to deal with. One day, they said they could sell me bus ticket, they even told me the price, but later told me the couldn't, everything was closed so i had to stay one more night at the hotel...
The last day, they forgot to make my room.
The wifi is so-so, not fantastic, a few problems.
Last thing, it's a little out the animated part of the city, but it might be what you are looking for.
Apart from that, very nice place, good room and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words in your review of out Hotel. We are indeed a 15 minute walk to the "action" of Pub Street, but with a mini market a few metres away Guest do enjoy being able to relax in our quiet area and get any daily supplies nearby.

I apoligise for the confusion over the bus ticket. It seems that when they said everything was closed they meant the bus was fully booked for that departure.

I also apoligise for your room not being made up. On investigation the Housekeeping staff were told to " roll" the used room and clean the following day, and Reception did not let them know you had exended.

I am pleased you enjoyed your time here and thank you for your custom.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Golden Dynasty is the place to stay in Siem Reap I should have alotted more time in Siem Reap! We arrived late in the evening and the staff was there to welcome us, on my surprise,i only booked private ensuite but Gary upgraded me to the best room they have-Mandarin suite: 2big beds, comfy pillow and blankets,kitchen,big bathroom with bathtub, Lucky me thanks to Gary! Staff are very friendly,they will even help you look for a tuktuk driver:permission to advertise: look for happyhengtuktukdriver in fb and tripadvisor he is an awesome and the most professional tuktuk driver in Siem Reap! Wireless internet is good also but could have been more faster. Best of all on our last day, Gary allowed us to have a late check out since our flight is late in the evening and was able to talk to Gary before we leave, it was a blast staying here! Keep it up Gary! Will definitely stay here again when i come bacm in Siem Reap!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Another amazing review. Thank you so much for the lenghty and positive review. We are so pleased you enjoyed every facet of our Hotel and service. Good reviews "enable" the Staff to keep providing good service. Though we also welcome any critiques which may help up improve the facilities and service.
We would love to welcome you back to our Hotel.
Thanks again.
Tauranga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just an amazing find for me.
Had stayed in 4(yes you read that right) 4 different hotels in Siem Rep in the 9 days previous to moving in to the Golden Dynasty. Why? Well I enjoy a good hot shower and rooms at a reasonable rate (a pool is a bonus!). Didnt find that until I happened across Golden Dynasty.

What did I like about the Hotel?
First impressions were great, lovely staff.
Even tho I was early, a quick check in, the welcome drink and then down to room 18 on the ground floor. I could say this had a pool view but that would only be by sticking my head out the door and looking down the hallway :-)
Otherwise just a view of a service area with some motor bikes next to the hotel.

Didnt worry me as I had booked a room, without a view, to get the ridiculously inexpensive deal!
Less than half what I had previously paid, for a much better room. In fact it was so good that I extended my stay by a week.
AND..the fabulous shower, good pressure, constant temperature and room to swing a cat while showering. OK I didn't swing a cat but could have showered "with a friend" if I was not travelling solo :-(
Big flat screen TV mounted on the wall. I like that as it leaves lots of free desk space.
The AC unit was effective and quite! As a bonus it was not switched off when the electric was switched off when you removed the key. A bonus on coming back from a hot sweaty day out.
Curtains had backout screens, which is handy for us sloths that like to sleep in.

So you are saying to yourself, what didnt I like. Well the pool was NOT surrounded by lovely young French ladies in bikinis EVERY day :-( Just some days!!!

No draft beer. But no worries nice restaurant across the road (Two Dragons) also had an alternative menu.

The location of the hotel is interesting. Its 45 metres down a dirt road from the main(busy) paved street system. But that had its own charm. Sort of like living in a rural village when first stepping out of the hotel grounds. On the corner is a nice minimart with lots of western food. Quite a range of breakfast cereals for those who want a western breakfast treat.

Needless to say there are tuktuks available at the hotel entranceway and the staff can arrange other stuff.

So in summary, oops did I mention the fantastic shower? In Summary, would go there again in a heartbeat. In fact looking at taking her who must be obeyed, next year. She hates the heat and foreign countries, but think she will like the Golden Dynasty.

so there, give it a go, I am sure you will be pleased.

Room Tip: I was happy with room 18. No stairs to climb!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
This must be the most lengthy and most interestingly witty review ever posted on Trip Adviser.

Well done. This guest we a delight to Host and We would like to say a big thank you for such a positive review, and look forward to meeting again in the future.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for four nights.
Was upgraded by the gracious kiwi host and throughly enjoyed our room.

Value for money is unbeatable.
Hotel is clean, modern, great pool and good food at great prices.
Location is perfect for those who like a small walk and/or tuk tuks are always close by if not.

Only hesitation is the majority of the staff are clearly new to the business. We had a couple of incidents that were eventually worked out but ended up involving three - five staff over trivial matters.
The night manager is the standout. Gracious and informative.
I understand the staff are improving and with that there will be nothing to fault about this excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
Another great review.
Thank you for you comments on value for money, our clean, modern Hotel ( although 18 months old we try to keep maintenance up to date always making everything look fresh and clean) and the good food at great prices.

I do take in your comment on our Staff sometimes misunderstanding Guests. I believe they sometimes get flustered as the translation from Khmer to English is usually backwards and the grammer so different.We actually conduct English classes for two seperate groups 5 times a week, so this problem is slowly being resolved.

Thank you for taking the time to review us
Siem Reap, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Golden Dynasty in Siem Reap, Cambodia. It was a lovely place to stay in. Breakfast was extra, but could be eaten poolside or indoors. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent, and is walking distance into town. There were tuk tuk drivers stationed outside the hotel, ready to take you anywhere. My only concern is having red curtains and red pillowcases in each room: anyone into colour therapy knows that this colour is not conducive for a good night's sleep. Apart from that I loved staying there and it was so affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Garry S, General Manager at Hotel 20th Street, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your positive review on our Hotel and services. It wasa delight to have two such charming Ladies staying with us.

It is a shame you did not bring the problem of the red pillow cases to me as we do have a supply of white ones for those who prefer not to use red.