“Honest review”

Ranked #215 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
London, United Kingdom
“Honest review”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Good value. Good relation quality/price, although I have seen that prices change frecuently. In my case was great. Kindness of the staff really shocked me, as they were extraordinarily good. Marvellous staff that help with absolutely everything. Rooms are great. Hotel is really nice. Very comfortable. You stay away from the tourist crowds. Closer to Angkor. Biking to temples very recommendable. OK, said that, we can go now with bad things that perhaps can help you if you go there. Food served in the restaurant is expensive, terrible and portions are really small, and this is said for someone who can eat everything! Waiter in the restaurant ask you 20 times if you want some more food until the situation gets subrealistic. They are sellers, so they try to give you unwanted information without request it, but in our case this was done in a good manner and politely by the owner and we learnt interesting things. Tuks tuks drivers wait for you at the entrance and as soon you show up at the door they run wildly towards you drumming for business. Even if you say that you have a bike they insist pesting you. A real pain in the...Worst thing about this very nice place: in our last day we bought a boat ticket to Battambang. The price for the boat is 20 dollar. Is a really hard trip , very uncomfortable and you go facing unknown people, so the experience is not recomended. In this hotel we were offered the trip for 30 dollars. We said that cost 20. Then the manager(very nice and polite guy) said that he would sell me for 30 the "Royal boat" because was much better than the ordinary boat. And that was the reason it was more expensive. We knew there was not more than one boat to Battambang, the old and unsafe small boat, but this manager was so nice with us during our stay that we decided negotiate with him the supposed "Royal boat" for 25 dollars. When we arrive to the dock, we found out that there is not "Royal boat" at all travelling to Battambang and only an old and dangerous boat goes once a day. So we were surprisingly cheated by this, in the other hand, very nice people. So be aware of that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andreas R

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Bucharest
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a 3* hotel and for this rank it deserves the 5 points from me due to the followings:

- Location is perfect, away from a dusty and noisy city but in the mean time quite close to the city center - just 6 minutes in a tuk-tuk - and Angkor temples. I am an eastern European geek - from Romania - and I do not complain about paying 5-6 USD for the return tuk-tuk ride because this way I can help the local community get some income and to be honest - apologize for this - if you come to Cambodia and complain for the 6$ you will give to the locals then you should really stay at home. I bet you will pay much more for fun there than in Siem Reap - including this money.

- The room I got - and I made my reservation through Booking.com where I do have a map and I knew its location - was with a comfy bed, working AC, electrical hot shower - I can give you a tip here I have learned myself from my months of SE Asia backpacking - just put the water temp close to the max and the water power at 1/2 and you will get more than you can resist in terms of hot. The time I was there the bathroom door was not closing properly but was fixed - so the owner do care about his property.

- The staff was really friendly and the fact I have spent a night in a bar with 2 of them, really made me believe it is rather their friendly way of being than a formal faked smile.

- Internet connection was fast and stable - and believe me, this is a prime directive for me due to my work.

- Restaurant was quite spacy for the hotel size and it was improving. The meals were good quality and enough for my hunger.

- The owner - Mr Patrick - is present all the time in the business and willing to help you sort any issue you might get without being pushy by persuading you to buy any tour/ticket/meal, etc. People who gave a negative review to the hotel probably have never wasted only a minute to have a friendly chat with Patrick and explain their troubles. I personally appreciate this kind of business instead of "cold" 5* resorts where everything is formal and standardized.

I have no complain and definitely I will stay there again if I will return to Siem Reap and I do recommend this property to any traveler.

Silviu

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank silviu12
Fredericktown, Ohio
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is a nice little hotel close to Ankor but away from Pub Street so you can get that much needed rest. You are only a 2 dollar tuk tuk ride from the old market/pub street area. There is a real cambodian market just a 100 meters from the hotel and the staff are caring and honest. PATRICK, the owner, can answer almost any question and most of his staff speak English. I extended my stay because of how well I was treated.

Room Tip: Always get a room away from the front of the hotel if you are a light sleeper like myself.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank shrouded_traveler
Pontarlier, France
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have been there last December for 4 nights, the main manager is good advice for things to do around Siem Reap, and very talkative :)
All the staff of the hotel was very nice to me and the food at the restaurant was just GREAT !!!!
Now I prefer Cambodian food than Thai food ;)
what a pleasure to stay here I recommend the hotel and will be back there for sure.
Prices are more than affordable, if you want a high level accommodation you can go to sofitel or other hi class hotel, but for the price Avallon Hotel is very good compromise, the room was very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Marseille, France
Reviewed 22 February 2014

If you to find a nice place really close to Angkor site this hotel is for you. Good prices for this quite place. the beds are new and confortable. And the nice staff make this place the best choice in Siem Reap

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 February 2014

i stayed in this Hotel 4 nights beginning of February and i have to say that it is very good value for money, rooms are clean, staff is very friendly, spa is excellent (i had an excellent one hour body massage),
Restaurant is only open for breakfast and diner, if breakfast could be improved (it only cost 3$ though), diner was excellent (you have to try the Amok and the Curry),
The french owner is very friendly and helpful, he advised me some tour different from the temples,
don't expect a 5 star hotel but given the price it is definitely very good value for money

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank pvedo
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Good:
-cheap stay, clean room, air con.
-can do spa and massage in the hotel.

Bad:
-dishonest: booking.com claimed to have free pickup to/from airport, which is not true. the so called 'free pick up' is only for those who join their day tours to angkor wat & angkor thom.
-far from the center: cost $3USD tuk tuk to the old market, so the round trip is $6 USD. (hardly can find restaurant near by)
-find a notice in the toilet 'do not dump tissue into the toilet, put in the in rubbish bin, inconvinient and strange
-just in front of the road. busy traffic. a bit noisy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
GUYOMARCH, General Manager at Avallon Boutique & Spa, responded to this review, 23 October 2014
Dear guest,
I waited a long time before answering your review because your last comment on the toilet is so funny that you deserve my sympathy.You must know before coming to asia that the toilets design here is much smaller than in western countries and that the little water spray is not there to clean the toilet but something more intimate. Apart from that i can't accept that you say that the free airport pick up is not for all our guests but only for the richest ones.This is a lie we take care the same way of all our guests.Good future travel and why not in cambodia again ? You still have a lot of things to discover.Kind regards,

Patrick GUYOMARCH