“A bit out of the way but a good stay”
Review of Panda Guesthouse

Panda Guesthouse
Ranked #110 of 529 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Panda is nicely run by British expats. They have a good team and many tuktuk drivers to tour you around Angkor. The room was very nice and the bathroom was clean. It is a bit out of the way. I only mention this because it is not the most pleasant walk into the main area (mostly because it's dark and you're on the side of the road walking in sand over broken glass at times). If I were traveling alone I wouldn't feel that comfortable. Having said that we never had any big problems on the walk into town.

Overall, a good stay.

Tip: you're going to need the A/C. We went in March and after a long day out in the sun the guesthouse fan is not nearly enough. Unfortunately you need to pay $5 per day extra for the A/C.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndoliniOffer
PandaSiemReap, General Manager at Panda Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thanks for your great review of our guesthouse.

Just to correct one thing that might give visitors the wrong impression though: We actually pay to light the lane leading to our guesthouse. At night, it is better turning right at the end of the lane to take you into town as this is much more a main road. Turning left is the darker road. (as we advise when guests arrive).. Either way, we are just a ten minute walk into the center or a 2 minute, $2 tuk tuk ride for those tired after a day exploring the temples.

Thanks again for your constructive review.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We had a really pleasant stay in this quiet, well-run, clean guesthouse.
Best things: free tuk tuk pick up from the coach drop off, lots of information and help to find another place when we completely forgot that we were going away that same day...
And yes! We agree with the other travellers, the only drawback was the impossibility to have breakfast nearby (if not in the guesthouse).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Enrico_Laura
PandaSiemReap, Manager at Panda Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thanks for your constructive review of our guesthouse.

We would just like to say that we now have a breakfast menu available at reception and in each room.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

This new guesthouse has perfectly solid rooms with all the necessities, including A/C if you need it (I’m an A/C queen but didn’t need it once, for a week’s stay in late January). There’s not much in the way of breakfast within a 10 minute walk (but we hear that might be changing soon, which is great as that was the biggest drawback). They do have free coffee & tea, if that floats your boat, and a few snacks and cold drinks for sale for very reasonable prices.

The owners Patrick & Lyna are very helpful, always quick with a map and suggestion if need be, be it a restaurant or a tour--that was very much appreciated. They have clearly thought out how they want to run their guesthouse and are doing a fantastic job, and I look forward to watching them grow.

The more I travel, the more I realize it’s usually only Americans who have a problem with cigarette smoking. So, to kindred spirits out there: while there is no smoking in the rooms, the common areas can get *remarkably* smoky at night when the outside doors are shut, and it does translate into the rooms. If that doesn’t bother you, then party on.

As far as food goes, if you go down the initial dirt road and take then take an immediate left, you’ll hit a nice new Malaysian restaurant in 7 minutes (you’ll see the Malaysian flag; it’s right before the intersection with Sok San road [as if there are road signs]); the roti canai is the pretty amazing and the Teh Kopi C on ice is brilliant.

So, it’s a little bit of a walk to town (or a $1 tuk-tuk back from Pub Street if you're feeling lazy after walking around the temples all day), but a very nicely designed guesthouse with lovely owners! Enjoy Siem Reap!

Room Tip: When you're looking at the hotel from the outside, get a room on the right side; this faces anot...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChacmoolsFriend
PandaSiemReap, Manager at Panda Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback on our guesthouse. In order to improve our guests experience, we welcome all constructive comments and suggestions. Please see the response to the comment below regarding smoking.. and breakfasts being available to guests..

Thanks again for your kind comments and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Panda Guesthouse! Regards, Steve.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

There is a lot of wonderful things about this guesthouse. The owner (Patrick) is a really nice guy, and his wife is wonderful. The hotel is really well designed and the rooms are perfect. It’s a fantastic (really!) value. They put together some informative guides about the temples and the town. Their tuk-tuk drivers are good (like most of the drivers in town) and the prices they charge are fair. The rooms are possibly the best value (super clean, nice bathrooms, comfortable beds, etc, etc).

There are two reasons why I, personally, cannot rate this as a 5-star hotel:
One will soon be remedied. It is a 10-minute walk to any place that serves food. This is especially inconvenient for breakfast as I didn’t particularly want to hit the road to go get breakfast as soon as I woke up. The owner, however, is planning to have a small kitchen to make simple breakfasts in the near future. I also think they should rent bicycles to guests since it’s a little bit of a long walk to Pub Street, etc.

The other reason may be of no concern to certain guests but was a huge concern of mine. The rooms are all non-smoking (very emphatically stated on the backs of the doors in the rooms). But the manager (Steve) who works in the evenings until 10pm and then comes in the mornings [he’s actually quite hard working] smokes like a chimney. He shuts the doors at night so the mosquitoes don’t enter the building and then chain-smokes for the entirety of his shifts. It is absolutely no exaggeration that the lobby gets filled with smoke. Our first room was near the lobby and the smoke would all come under the door into our room. We asked for an extra towel to wet and put under the door (they did provide for us). We were given a new room (upstairs) for the remainder of our 5-night stay but it was directly upstairs from the lobby/desk and it was no better than our first room--even with the wet towel under the door. We chose to move to another hotel for our remaining 6 days in Siem Reap entirely because of this issue. I admit I am sensitive to and despise cigarette smoke. My wife, however, is not particularly sensitive and felt similarly. I discussed the issue with Steve and Patrick--it got better for one night/morning but sadly it didn’t last. If you don’t mind cigarette smoke this is a perfect hotel in all other ways.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind response and comments regarding our guesthouse.

We are always trying to improve our guests experience and therefore we welcome all constructive comments and suggestions.

You spoke to us at the time of your stay regarding a couple of issues and yes, as a new guesthouse, the final thing on our 'to do' list is a western-standard kitchen so that we can prepare a simple breakfast menu for our guests. This is an often requested guest facility and should soon be operational.

The other issue is smoking. As smokers, we were not aware of the extent that smoke is still entering the guestrooms. (especially downstairs). As you pointed out, smoking is already banned in guestrooms anyway, but so far has been allowed in all other communal areas of the guesthouse.

But, after listening to guests feedback, we are happy to announce that smoking will no longer be permitted INSIDE the guesthouse! However, for our smoking guests convenience, smoking WILL be allowed on our upstairs outer balcony and anywhere in the front garden and seating areas. Thanks again for your positive feedback and comments. Steve.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Free tuk tuk pick up from the coach drop off and a free massage! Panda guesthouse is great value and fairly located in Siem Reap. The staff are super helpful and tours round Angkor Wat can be booked through them. We did three days using three different tuk tuk drivers affiliated with the guesthouse and they were all great guides.
It is located a ten minute walk from pub street but not far away enough from town for it to inconvenience you too much.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan K
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The two fellas who run this place have got it right! I booked while I was on the road and it happened that that they did indeed have a room for the next day. I was taking a 12 hour bus into Siem Reap and getting in sometime between 6-7 in the morning. Not only did they make sure to have someone there to pick me up that early, but the let me come to their place and drop off my stuff and have it stored securely while I was able to travel during the day. Since I got there about half-past seven, my room was not ready but being able to drop off my stuff left me free to travel about the city with the one and only, Mr. Bird.

Mr. Bird is a local tuk tuk driver who should (once tripadvisor approves his page) be the one you schedule through. He is one of the most genuine and honest drivers I have ever met in all of Southeast Asia. Ask for him by name at the guesthouse when you make your reservation or check out his facebook page and request him there, just search for birdmantuktuk or you can email him directly letting him know when and where you will be and what you want to see and he will have fair prices for you and plenty of packages to choose from.

He is knowledgeable, local, and above all else, does business right. Nothing shady here, he is a reputable guy who knows what local shops to go to for food or for services should you need help either finding a place to get a good massage or you're ipod fixed. I was traveling along through Siem Reap and he was literally my guardian on two wheels who took me where I wanted to go, shared stories and insights about himself and his culture, and always let me or showed me where to take pictures along the way.

Seriously, these two in tandem, Panda Guest House and Mr. Bird's Tuk Tuk Service, are the ONLY way I would ever want to do Siem Reap and can't recommend both of them enough to anyone who is passing through this way.

ON A SIDE NOTE! If you are only planning to stay a day or two, still use them, but SERIOUSLY consider staying longer - up to a week perhaps, as your stay will be nice with these folks on your side and there is just so many beautiful things to see and do. It will be worth it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Millemic
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We were hesitant to book Panda guesthouse because of the lack of reviews online, but are so glad we did! They're fairly new so don't let lack on information online off put you!

The rooms were spacious, super clean and the en suite was great too. Staff are so friendly and nothing was too much to ask of them! They even spent a couple of hours with us booking our onwards accommodation and transport when all other options were full! They even went so far as to invite us to share dinner and drinks with them which was a lovely experience.

It's a bit of a walk to Pub Street, by that I mean 10minutes. No issue at all, although I can see alone it would be a bit intimidating (lack of street lights on the road leading upto the pathway to the hostel.) Tuk Tuks are plentiful though so just hop in one if you're worried!

We hired a tuk tuk driver for 2 days through the hostel who was excellent in helping us tour around the temples - ask for Pips!

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Siem Reap and will be recommending to everyone!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple