“4th of July in Cambodia”

Borei Angkor Resort & Spa
Ranked #36 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Just spent 5 nights in this hotel and we were greeted by Alex at the airport with 2 beautiful pikake hand leis. When we got to the hotel he reviewed our itinerary and the tours that were set up for us. When we arrived to our room we were pleasantly surprised with a very good bottle of champagne and a decorated bed with rose petals that said "welcome". We had a private driver every day so it was fabulous. Our English speaking tour guide was excellent and very knowledgeable. The lounge supplied endless drinks and appetizers from 5-7pm every night. This was included in our package. This is also were we had complimentary breakfast every morning. The staff went above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and special. Always remembered your names. In the evenings we called on our driver to take us to the night market to shop for souvenirs, etc. Pub Street in the market is full of restaurants and shops. The room was very nice. If you like A/C it definitely works :0). On our last night we were graciously upgraded by Alex to their Royal Suite and which there are only 2 of them. The room had a huge jacuzzi tub, sauna, steam room, living, dining and full kitchen. It was absolutely beautiful. Every night we were at the hotel we were surprised with either a local bottle of wine or fruit basket. My husband even got in 2 rounds of golf and I did the spa (which was also included in our package - not the golf). So to some it up, we were pleased with everything. On our departure night, Alex let us stay in our room until 7pm and then took us to the airport personally with our driver and gave us 2 beautiful scarves to leave with. Both my husband and I would recommend this hotel to any of our friends. The people of Cambodia are very sweet.

Room Tip: There are different packages so it caters to every type of traveller.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michele P

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Very nice Hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. Since we only paid $58 per night we thought it wouldn't be that great. But it was very nice.

Pro's -
Best breakfast buffet of entire trip, noodles, crepe bar, omlete bar, very frsh fruit and breads, etc...
Nice grounds
Excellent service
Price is exception value - included free massage, fruit and airport transfers.
Personnel for airport transfers were SUPERB
Room Service quick and very good food
Nice amenities in bathroom, travel toothbrush, razor etc...

Cons -
Some things just didn't work well, knobs, drawers, key to get in room

Would highly recommend this Hotel. It is $2 tuk tuk to Pub Street and nice to be away from that chaos. Price is unbeatable. For that price you expect much less so was very pleased and will stay there again if we return. Stayed in many Hotels over 3 weeks and this was the best value and comfort.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Hang S, General Manager at Borei Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear 46countries,

A very warm greeting from all of us at Borei Angkor Resort & Spa!
On behalf of the entire team members, I would love to sincerely thank you for choosing to stay with us. We have been very pleased for given opportunity to take care of you while you were in the kingdom.

We thank you so very much for taking your time to share with us and our readers about what we have done so well so we can continue to do that for other residents, and the things that we did not do that so well so we could improve. We really appreciate the pro-s and con-s which you have pointed out. I do apologise that some of our room amenities and facilities did not meet your requirement.

We look forward to welcoming you and your love ones back to our resort in the very near future.

Very best,
Nara Thon

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Just excellent. Exceptional food. Lovely rooms. The new lobby is splendid. Fine pool. And low season rates are very attractive. We took a half board deal and the waiters were kind enough to let us vary from the set menu rather than repeating the same meals over and over.
Staff even showed us how to hack the rooms so the aircon would run without the room key being present, and went above and beyond for us in other small ways.
The hotel seems to have its own pool of tuk tuk drivers, which is a nice little extra.
The neighbourhood it's in is also interesting: there's a local market over the road that offers a lot more insights into local life than the Pub Street strip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Very nice hotel! Modern facilities, but the rooms keep that traditional Cambodian aesthetic. Wifi in the room a little slow/ unstable though.

What i really liked about the hotel is their delicious buffet breakfast. It's not really much, but it tasted good, and was enough to sustain us through our day activities.

Also, you can arrange guided tours with the hotel. I think the pricing is competitive, compared to other providers,

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear antonarcilla,

A very warm greeting from Borei Angkor Resort & Spa!

Thank you very much for your kind complement, and we do appreciate that you are taking your value time to share with us.

We have been working to improve the wifi signal strength on all guest rooms and others public areas. The result is good, and I am very positive that our residents would not experience the unstable wifi within our property.

We are working as well to improve our products as part of our product innovative. We have never been very happy with what we have yet, and we are continuously working hard on all area especially in the food and beverage section.

Once again, thank you so very much for staying with us; and we are looking forward to welcoming you and your friends back to our property in the very near future.

Very best,
Nara Thon

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Just when you think it could not get better, Borei Angkor Resort and Spa goes above and beyond. The renovations are now complete so the entrance and reception look very impressive. Needless to say that the cost of staying there is now higher and for those that missed out on the special deals, well, I’m sorry you missed out on 5-Star service/accommodation for 2-3 Star prices.
I do have an amusing story to share from my last visit… When I first went there, in March 2013, I shared my room with a lovely local lady, let’s call her T, and the management and staff treated her with respect and dignity (many hotels in Cambodia do not do this for local ladies). This time I returned in July with someone special I met in Thailand, let’s call her P. Unbeknown to Borei’s management and staff, both ladies knew about each other.
One night I invited T to share dinner with P and me. When the management became aware that both ladies were in the hotel at the same time, they went to extraordinary and dignified lengths to keep them apart. While I was with P, they entertained T in the waiting lounge. Later P went to our room to shower and change so T was escorted to the cocktail lounge where I was waiting and we had some drinks and chatted for a while. When P returned downstairs to join us she was given a wild-goose chase around the hotel by the staff under orders from the hotel manager, called Sony, to keep her away from what they thought was an embarrassing and compromising situation. Eventually, both ladies were in my company at the same time which became a very confusing conundrum for the staff and management. You have to be there to see their confused and concerned faces… LOL
I thanked Sony the next morning for his discretion and initiative, he was amused to find out that his efforts were not needed and I sensed a feeling of respect from him that I was not playing ‘Hooky’. The personal service I receive from this resort is second to none, which is why I truly feel that I am in a 5-Star Resort when I stay there. I would like to thank the particular staffs that make my stay a very special and memorable one, these individuals include: Nimoul, Judy, Savon and of course… Sony.
As much as I think Sien Reap is a wonderful, vibrant, growing and culturally inspiring city; I am not sure anymore if it’s the city or the Borei Angkor Resort I look forward to the most.

Room Tip: The higher the room the more opulent and pool view is the best.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CharlesV526
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This review is a few months late - we went in April 2013 after booking on the hotel website, which had a promotion going on - we paid USD 80 (incl tax) a night with breakfast, transfers and 1 massage each which I thought was a terrific price.

We arrived by bus from Phnom Penh and there was someone waiting for us at the bus station. Our hostess, Nimoul (I hope I spelt her name right), was waiting for us at the lobby when we arrived and was an absolute sweetheart. Check-in was a breeze - we were seated at a welcome room next to reception while Nimoul completed the check-in formalities for us and offered us a cold drink. I don't know why more hotels don't do this and make people stand in line instead. We were automatically upgraded to the next category of room (Landmark I believe). A nice gesture.

The room itself was a decently sized, regular 5 star room. It lacked a DVD player, but Nimoul promptly arranged for one. Nothing to complain about, everything was nice, working and in its place.

The buffet breakfast had a pretty standard spread of eastern and western food. Service at the hotel is generally very good.

Visits to Angkor Wat, any sort of transportation for seeing the city or going out at night were all efficiently organized by the Nimoul/reception staff.

All in all, this was a great hotel, with terrific service and a good price. It's one of the few locally owned 5 stars we were told.

P.S.
Do note that the front part of hotel was being renovated in April 2013, though this made no real difference to us. No noise etc.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Landmark room. Not sure how the other rooms are.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank trum01
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed here for four nights in May 2013 and found it a great base for temple touring. Our flight in was rescheduled and we arrived mid morning and on checkin were told that our room was not available (fair enough) but were checked in to a twin room where we could shower and change before heading out to tour the first of many temples. On return that afternoon we were met at reception and advised that we would be upgraded to a suite due to the earlier inconvenience (We didn't think we were inconvenienced at all). The suite was great and we were looked after extremely well by Miss Judy (good Luck with the baby!!) at reception who greeted us at every opportunity ensuring that our stay was everything we wished for. Great pool and poolside service although the poolside lounges were were difficult to secure particularly early evening. Breakfast was plentiful and high quality with a large variety of food with quite a lot cooked to order. We didn't eat here in the evenings as it is only a $3US tuk tuk ride to pub street and the drivers queue up outside the entrance to tend to your needs.
The main entry area was undergoing renovation whilst we were there but minimal disruption to anything and we never heard the works going on as we were out touring from early morning to late afternoon each day.
We definitely recommend this hotel to all

Room Tip: Booking early and direct with the hotel for the best rates and chance of a room upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple