“Wonderful, charming, boutique hotel”
Review of Shinta Mani Angkor

Shinta Mani Angkor
Ranked #14 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 26 November 2007

We stayed at Shinta Mani for 5 days in late October. The renovations had been complete by the time we arrived.

We had a deluxe room with a "living space" in the upstairs with a window that overlooked part of the pool (#18). The room was well appointed, very comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was very nice (an important factor for me!) and the room was extremely clean. The room was so large, we didn't really use the living area (which is fairly small). It might work well if you are traveling with a teenager as it does have a TV in it, as does the main part of the bedroom.

We plan to go back, but on the next trip I think I would prefer one of the pool rooms, which are slightly smaller, as they do not have the "living space" They do however have a lovely patio next to the pool.

The pool is smaller but in our mind it was absolutely perfect. The temp. was perfect, the tranquil waterfall structure at the end of the pool provided great ambiance and the servce at the pool was wonderful.
We were pleased to not have a crowded pool scene. We truly enjoyed hanging out and reading, relaxing and enjoying a glass of wine around the pool. For the most part, this was a very tranquil and relaxing space.

We participated in the community outreach program, donating a house for a family of six, a water well, a set of piglets and shoes for a school. The poverty out in the villages is extreme. Having traveled through South America, Latin America and much of Asia, I think Laos and Cambodia have had the greatest degree of poverty that we've experienced. The director of the community outreach program, Cielo, speaks excellant English and is an absolute delight. She and two other
staff members took us out to the village, down the dirt, dusty, rutted
roads. The house we donated was complete by the time we arrived so we were able to see the house as well as the well and deliver the piglets
ourselves. A truly amazing experience not to be missed.

Our purposes for staying at this hotel was due ot its community outreach program. Participation in the program and our stay at this hotel were one of the major highlights of our trip. Use some of your vacation funds to give back to the people who reside in this part of the world.

We did indulge in the spa several times, even though it is more expensive than the other massage places around the town (about $30 for
a one hour full body massage and $20 for a one hour foot massage compared to about $5 to $7 for those in the "local places" around town). The spa is incredible. I tried to justify the cost by thinking that the hotel's mission is so positive and my spa experience was supporting the mission!

The only problem we had with the spa is that a family with a 3 year old was at the pool and the child was crying and screaming a lot. The spa rooms are pool side so this can be a bit disturbing. This was the only young child we saw during our 5 day stay at the hotel. The pool is not geared to children, as it is more of the "sanctuary" advertised
by Shinta Mani, with spa rooms surrounding the pool. (There were several very respectful and delightful teenagers/young adults traveling with parents). The spa services did surpass the other full body massages and foot massages we had elsewhere (except for the Raffles in Phnom Penh, which was on par with Shinta Mani).

The restaurant is good, but I think a bit high priced for the area. You can find wonderful restaurants all through the town so I'd experiment with some other options. The breakfast buffet is small but they made eggs and noodle soup, both which were good, had fruit, baked goods and bacon/pancakes etc.

The staff is wonderful. They are attentive and try very hard to please. The women who were primarily at the front desk during our stay
were always ready with a cold towel when we returned, a warm smile and
lovely conversation.

The hotel has a quaint, lovely, environment, that demonstrates the warmth and kindness the owners and employees of this hotel share with their guests and the spirit of giving they provide to the villagers outside of Siem Reap. If you just stay in Siem Reap and around the temples you will not really witness the significant level of poverty in which the rest of this country resides (although there is certainly
poverty in Seim Reap and near the temples, the outside villages are an entirely different level).

I would definitely recommend this 18 room boutique hotel if you are looking for a life changing experience, with a warm, caring staff. The hotel is becoming popular and we heard from other travelers it is becoming more difficult to obtain reservations. I hope with its rising popularity it will continue to dedicate itself to its mission of goodwill and retain its delightful charm.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Broder

Reviewed 26 November 2007

This is a great find in an area where hotels are opening up so fast the tourist books cannot keep up. The hotel is comfortable and the food is great, especially breakfast (try the Eggs Benedict- it's not very Cambodian but you will have plenty of other opportunities to eat local). The staff is respectful (they bow every time you pass) and the rooms are spotless and the beds are the most comfortable ones we had during a month in Asia. Location is also good - an easy walk to town.

This hotel is actively involved in its community and employees and trains people who need skills. Stay there - you will enjoy it and feel good about where the money is going.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank drossbach
Reviewed 21 November 2007

My husband and I stayed at the hotel with our two children, a 2 1/2 yr old and a 4 mo old. The staff were amazing with trying to meet all of our needs from finding high chairs to making special meals for my son. Everyone was extremely friendly and wanted to get to know the kids as well as us as a way to make our stay more relaxing. I tried the spa and found the treatments above average but the head and shoulder massge was fantastic! We did have some difficulty with mosquitos in our room even though we plugged in the mosquito device and put spray on the kids. I would have liked to have seen more fogging to combat the problem. Overall the staff was nice, the room comfortable, and the money went to a worthy cause which is the whole reason we stayed there. It felt great knowing that the money was going back into the community, not into some outsiders pocket. It's worth the money!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank SingaporeAllens
Reviewed 21 November 2007

I stayed at Shinta Mani for 4 nights in November on my first visit to Siem Reap. I didn't want to stay in one of the enormous international hotels now springing up in Siem Reap - I wanted a smaller, boutique hotel-type experience and this is exactly what I got. Beautifully decorated yet unpretentious rooms with great air conditioning and super-comfy beds combined with charming staff, a small but perfect pool and a nice bar area for a perfect stay. Make sure that you enquire about the school where they are training young people to build careers in the hotel industry - it is a visit well worth experiencing.
If you get a chance whilst in Siem Reap you could also make a donation at the Kantha Bopha blood bank at the local hospital - leave behind something of real and lasting value.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank KanthaBopha
Reviewed 19 November 2007

From the beautifully decorated and well appointed rooms to the warm and friendly service, the Shinta Mani is by far the best hotel I have experienced in all my travels. The massage and spa is top quality and worth every penny. My partner and I stayed for 3 nights. We had a wonderfully relaxing time and thoroughly enjoyed the pampering we were so expertly provided with. The cold towels after a day out in the heat was one of those little touches that made such a difference. We certainly did not feel like a number to the hotel staff, but guests.

The hotel is centrally located to the market areas (walking distance - 10 mins) and great little restaurants. We ate at the hotel where they served great food, but also tried the other places around. The hotel was the perfect springboard to the temples. We had a hotel arranged tuk tuk driver who was very professional and friendly! We had a great trip getting around to look pretty much all the big temples and saw the sunrise too! Absolutely exhilarating to speed along in the chilled pre-dawn air!

We participated in the hotel's community program, donating a water well to a family in need. The hotel made every effort to have it ready in time for my visit, and the trip out to the village was life changing. To see the difference my little donation made just compelled me to want to help further. The busy management even took time out to discuss ideas I had for possible improvements to the programs. I was touched by their dedication, not just to running the hospitality school, but their genuine efforts to make a difference to the living conditions of the villages around them. Seeing how nervous these students were on "Student Night", and how eager they were to do well reaffirmed my decision to stay at the Shinta Mani despite knowing they were undergoing renovations.

I can't stress enough how great you'll feel, not just physically but emotionally and psychologically, when you stay at the Shinta Mani and participate in their community program. I can't wait to get back and help out more when I next have the opportunity! Make YOUR difference now!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Team_Mesh
Reviewed 15 November 2007

Siem Reap is exploding with new hotels and it's hard to tell one from the other. But the Shinta Mani is a boutique hotel with a difference. Just 18 rooms with a superb restaurant, staff and service. We were more than happy with our experience and cannot recommend this hotel highly enough if you are looking for a family atmosphere together with grand hotel luxury. A hotel school is attached to the Shinta Mani and so your stay makes a direct financial contribution to the training of young cambodians which is also nice to know.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2007

We have just returned from a two night stay. The room was not ready when we arrived at 11am and we could not gain access until 12.45pm (check out time is noon). No worries because the pool area is very tranquil and the pool menu adequate. The rooms are well appointed and nicely decorated. Breakfast was adequate but make sure you have a better take away breakfast than we did if you go to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat - ours was appalling and the hotel apologised. Internet is free but slow. A very nice first floor lounge area. Good location with plenty of tuc tuc's available.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple