“Family away from family”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shinta Mani Club

Shinta Mani Club
Ranked #8 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
Atlanta, Georgia
“Family away from family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

The staff are the key, while the facility is beautiful the staff is even better. I am a middle aged male traveling solo, (meeting friends ) my arrival was very late however door staff and desk where expecting me as treated to a quiet and dignified greeting, the door was enthusiastic without the overbearing, so nice compared so the nicer hotels in the US where workers hover at the perimeter waiting for their tip.

my turn down service was nice, room was stocked with cold drinks and small bag of pistachios, after 27 hours of flights and transfers to step into a comfortable room with some small amenities (in my case a cold beer and nuts was a blessing.

The mosquitos are common at dusk and mornings, and if you aren't used to mosquitos hovering around it might drive you to distraction in the public spaces (all the public rooms are outdoor spaces ) since I am from a part of the South U.S. where we have mosquitos and no-see-ums they don't bother me. if mosquitos bother you wear some feet..(or try the skin product called skin-so-soft which for some reason is not a repellent but mosquitos hate it!

Breakfast was great as was the service, we had packs made for our earlier excursions and those where so yummy to picnic after some sunrise shots...

be sure to take advantage of the amenities across the street at the sister hotel-Shinta Mani Resort, those are free to guests, I preferred the menu particularly the curry items, and the fish amok! The pool across the street is warmer as it has more exposure, the salt water is like bathing is the tears of a million apsaras! The salt cleanses the tiny bites and scratches associated with scrambling around ruins and jungle!

my only negative was after an afternoon room cleaning I hopped in the shower and stepped out of the shower to find another employee in my room, doing something else, fortunately for her I had a towel to cover the pale freckly carcass of an overfed overgrown middle-age westerner!

(to staff: if you put a broom whisk straw at the edge of the door jam your staff can observe the position of the straw to indicate wether the guest is in residence or has a left, though this takes training and observation to use well, but it might cut down on room entries of occupied rooms)

Amenity --the soaps used in the bath areas are great, I think I want a years supply of the body wash!!

I will return to this hotel!! hopefully next time with my wife!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel. From the minute we arrived early in the morning the immaculate service started and we were welcomed for breakfast and an early check in. The hotel (both the club and resort on the opposite side of the road) are beautifully designed. Lotus flowers and jasmine adorn every corner, the corridors are filled with the smell of peppermint and frangipani. The attention to detail is amazing. Go to Bensleys bar for a brilliantly mixed cocktail. Have the delicious breakfast on one of the huge ornate swing seats on the front porch. This is probably one of the best hotel experiences we have had. Comfy beds, beautiful room fit outs and ambience galore.

One small point to watch, we booked our room through a well known travel site. Check the room description when you book -our "pool side room" turned out to have its door on the pool side, but the whole view front of the room with glass patio windows was onto the back of the hotel fence -with no pool access. Bit misleading but we blame the travel company for this not the hotel. If you want pool access rooms and indeed rooms with any view check into the Shinta Mani Resort on the opposite side of the road. You can move between both sites, use both pools, restaurants etc,

This is a heavenly hotel. Look no further in Siem Reap.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I loved everything about this hotel, the room is very comfortable, the breakfast is fantastic, the salt water pool is wonderful at the perfect temperature for lap swimming after a hard day's work. The thing I loved the most about the Shinta Mani is the staff and the GM Christian, they make you feel like you are at "home," always with a welcoming smile even at 5am in the morning. The staff iwas also very good Cambodian teachers, I just wish I was a better student!!!
Can't wait to go back. All the best, Bic

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank alohabic
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I loved everything about this hotel. The service was outstanding. The rooms were a delight. The design details in the public areas complemented the entire experience. The restaurant flowed and the area of suspended seating was delightfully creative. The sampler menu of Khmer foods was inspired. The maintenance staff are on top of their game. Three of us stayed there for four nights and wished it could have been forty. We also admire what the hotel and its staff are trying to do in the community. The ownership, management and front line staff have got it all figured out. Bravo to everyone! Please go to Sihanoukville, flatten the Sokha, and put your magic to work there.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I visited Siem Reap with my family and stayed at this resort for three nights. This resort is well designed for calm and relaxing feeling amid in the centre of the town. The staff at the restaurant, reception, front door and cleaners were friendly and courteous all the time. The room was nice with comfortable bed and pillows but the bathroom would be complete with the inclusion of toilet bidet ! Our room was next to the swimming pool with easy access to the restaurant. The breakfast was good and one can order warm breakfast and buffet at the same time. Taking into account the room rate, this is a very reasonable resort since part of the income will go the local community.

Room Tip: While sitting at the balcony, do not leave the door open if you do not want mosquitoes to accompany...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank H-C T
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I can't say enough good things about this hotel and restaurant. The staff was mostly young people who went out of their way to make us feel comfortable.

I stayed at the hotel with a group of Dental volunteers from all over the world. We had to leave the hotel early in the morning to go to our clinic which was about 40 mins. ride in a van. Breakfast was always wonderful and plenty of fresh fruits and baked breads. The cook staff was great about fixing special breakfast needs. I was ill for a day and the could not go to the clinic but the staff made sure I got something to ease my stomach problems. The sent some rice soup for me to be sure I didn't go hungry. Housekeeping kept asking if I needed anything.

We were located within walking distance to the shopping area and restaurants.

After a hard day at the clinic with the kids we appreciated the pool for some needed exercise then be able to so kick back and relax before dinner.

Christian, the General manager was so willing to attend to any of our needs. I would highly suggest this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms had a great view of the pool and garden.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Just got back from 8 days at the Shinta Mani resort and well, I don't know Brian at all (one of the latest reviewer) but whilst I was still trying to identify how comes that SM is really special and dissimilar from other hotels, I found his review and I finally was able to put into words why SM is so different.

I am a seasoned traveler and am a SPG Platinum member. I have stayed in many 5+ stars hotel in my life. For business, for pleasure, in the center of cities or near beaches and mountains. Have had great experiences and bad ones and from now on I am basically speaking copying what Brian has written..very few "of them exceeded my expectations like this one did. Yes I have had better rooms, but these were exquisitely clean and bug-free. I have had more amenities, but in Cambodia the clean, comfortable and friendly environment here did not make me miss them. The sweet salinity of the basic pool here, and the solitude was so refreshing after a long hot day. The staff was exceptionally service-oriented and friendly, and made us feel like family--like we were staying at a B and B. In short, this is a simple but solid, clean, and remarkably well-run cozy hotel. Although you will not feel like a king or queen staying here, you WILL be treated like you are the most important person on the planet by the staff."

Well, that is what really I wanted to write! Just amazing place, just caring people, not only because it's their job, and they are super-good at it, but because they DO really care.

By the way: if you have kids, get ready...they will treat them as if they are their own and will share with you their experiences as newly parents (most of them are quite young) or what kind of parent they will like to be. Really cute!

Add to the top the amazing job the Foundation is doing. I encourage everyone to talk to the Foundation staff and, if you want, they can even organize a trip for you in the village they are supporting and at the same time showing you the new farm project they are implementing now.

Love for their job, love for their nation, love for the customers. It's interesting to see how, even if it doesn't have the facilities of big resorts, you are deeply grateful to the Khmer people and the SM to let you experience something so unique.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family