“Really big problem now”

Ranked #8 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Really big problem now”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Simply put, Shinta Mani Club raises the bar so high that a stay in any other hotel is a disappointment. I arrived late last month to a smiling staff and a cool, lavender scented towel. I was ushered to a comfortable sofa and given a fruit drink. The check-in was seamless and I was escorted to my room.

The room, just off the pool area, was immaculate with soft music already playing as I entered. A large comfortable bed was flanked by end tables. Lighting was excellent. TV was well positioned and lots of channels to choose from. The bathroom was chic, with good water pressure and all amenities.

I arranged a few tuk-tuks and one car during my stay. Each time it was extremely well organized. You have the choice of paying either the driver directly, or charging it to the hotel.

Most sites, such as Angkor Wat are within 15-20 minutes from the hotel.

My day consisted of the following:
Wake up at 4:30am.
Tuk-tuk to archaeological site for sunrise
Return to Shinta Mani for an amazing breakfast buffet.
Back out to a different site.
Return to Shinta Mani for nap/refreshments
Back out to a site for sunset

At each of these, the staff of Shinta Mani were courteous and thoughtful.

Meals at Shinta Mani were special. Breakfast consisted of main menu items which were well prepared western breakfast classics. Portions were medium which worked well since there was a substantial buffet to supplement the plated entree.

Lunches were equally delicious. More of a variety of local and western food for lunch.

For dinner, each night there is a chef's tasting menu; a 6-7 course meal of Khmer foods. In short, fantastic. And an extraordinary value. A similar meal in the US would be closer to $100.

The last day of my stay, my flight left Siem Reap at 9pm. Shinta Mani graciously moved all of my luggage while I was touring to a new room across the street at the Shinta Mani Resort. I was able to return, take a shower, pack and head off to the airport.

A couple of notes:
1. There is an ATM cash machine right across the street which provides US dollars.
2. Every transaction I made during my stay was in US dollars.
3. Photos can't capture the fantastic aromas that emanate from every corner of Shinta Mani. From the scented towels, to burning incense, the scented are subtle but fabulous.
4. This location feels more like an intimate boutique experience. The Shinta Mani Resort, which is across the street, is equally beautiful but has more of a hotel feel to it.
5. The manager of Shinta Mani, Christian de Boer, is a first class individual, and his professionalism shows in everything that Shinta Mani has to offer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank brownbeer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at Shinta Mani with a group of friend. Great modern rooms very nicely furnished with comfy beds. Meals are great and staff are very friendly and eager to assist. We had a great stay . Pool is large and great place to cool off. Thank you Chris and your friendly staff.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tracy M
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Fantastic hotel in every sense. The staff were so helpful, always smiling, as our luggage did not arrive with us, they coordinated with the airport and ensured it reached us by late evening. Our rooms were wonderfully designed, very comfortable beds, loved the music systems in each room and the selection of music. The mini bar was on the house! kids loved that! The breakfast is very good, with a good selection of breads, fruits and cheese. The lunch and dinner options are good as well. The hotel staff would always wait at the entrance with cold towels, which is such a blessing in that weather. It is easy to go around town from here, there is a tuk tuk service available from outside. Our family loved the 4 days we spent there and definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

There is no other word to describe this hotel. This is hands down one of the best boutique hotels I have ever stayed at in all my travels. I could not wait to give this review. I just left the hotel and am waiting at the airport for my flight to Phnom Phen . This hotel was our starting point for our 3 week trip to Asia. What a wonderful way to start a holiday.We arrived late on the 13th to be picked up by a private driver I previously arranged with the hotel. We received a warm welcome and were led to our room (204). Being a light sleeper this room did not suit me so in the morningI was transferred to room 108. It Was perfect for myself and my daughter. The rooms in the 200's and those above back on to a community centre of sorts so those who are finicky about noise of any kind when sleeping should ask for the rooms in the 100's.

The rooms and the hotel are even more beautiful than the pictures on the web site. As an iinterior designer i really appreciate the design of the hotel which I understand is very new.The detail and the thought put into every aspect of the look and the feel is incredible.

It is simply the best of the best and you just can't beat the value. The service is unfailing. Everybody working there was so lovely and kind always willing to go the extra mile.i really did not want to leave!

I can't forget the food! The restaurant in the club is fabulous.The breakfast is included .They offer a gorgeous buffet as well as a Great selection of hot meals. If you are foodie like me you will be very very pleased. We mostly had our dinners at the hotels as it was just that good. Thanks to all the staff at the restaurant( I will add pics later).

Finally the spa!!! Just amazing. I hadn't even thought much about using it when I booked the hotel but I am so very happy that it was there. After a day at the temples to be able to return to the hotel, have a swim in the gorgeous pool and then head up for a message was just heaven.

My only disappointment is there is not a Shinta Mani hotel in every city. Other hotels will have a tough time measuring up to the level of excellence that this hotel exemplifies at very level.

Thank you so much to all the staff!

Room Tip: As I mentioned in my review I am a light sleeper so the rooms in the 200 block did not work for mea...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights as a stopover en route to HCMC. This hotel is a delight with quiet, cool rooms including complimentary mini bar, friendly attentive staff and a relaxed vibe. A great base to explore SR and Angkor Wat - highly recommended.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This place is really, really spectacular. Everything about it is so good, I can only think to list it all:

1. The staff is exceptionally friendly. Like, you cannot go from your room to the street without encountering at least five smiling people who remember your name, wish you well, and ask if they can help you. And at the front, they're always ready with hand towels. My wife and I would joke about how many hand towels we were handed during our stay. It was many.

2. The facilities are beautiful. It's a small, intimate space that marries modern design with what feels like an old Cambodian vibe. There's a small pool (and a larger one across the street, at the Shinta Mani's extension), a lovely little restaurant with tables that are beds that swing from the ceiling, and a bar.

3. The location is perfect: It's about a 10-minute walk from the hyper-touristy area of Pub Street, but is itself on a far quieter—and yet totally safe and friendly—part of the city. The ride in a tuk tuk is only like 15 minutes to Angkor Wat and most of the major temple ruins. (And no need for you to venture into the street with a million tuk tuk drivers calling for your attention. There's a line of trusted ones hanging outside the hotel; the staff will call one for you.)

4. The hotel's ethos. It has a school on the second floor for underprivileged Cambodians who come from the countryside to learn hospitality. We talked to a few of them. Without the school, they said, they'd likely have ended up rice farming alongside their parents. But now they're able to be here (the school provides them with rice to bring home, to offset the family's loss of their labor) learning a trade. The hotel also runs a micro-loan program to help locals start businesses. It seems like a really earnest, honest effort to help the community, which makes staying there feel especially good.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jason F
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed in the Resort rooms which were comfortable, cool and the bed one of the best we have slept in, so comfortable. Wonderful service, very attentive staff. Lovely uniforms even down to the matching foot wear, so no mismatched "look" to the staff, which is important, it gives a great impression and the staff a sense of pride in their working environment. Fantastic breakfast. Really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is an easy walk to the main bars, restaurants and shopping of SR and the river front. Great, knowledgeable tuk tuk drivers out front.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple