Shinta Mani Angkor
Ranked #15 of 372 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 31 January 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Shinta Mani for four days last week. We spent a lot of time investigating all the various hotels in the area ahead of time and found that this hotel was a very good choice for us. We wanted to stay near the night scene but not right in town. The Shinta Mani is within walking distance of Pub Street and the markets. When it was too hot to walk we just caught a Tuk Tuk which were always available in front of the hotel. It was easy and inexpensive to get around that way. The hotel has two bicycles and I used one for touring around the hidden roads off the beaten path one day. However, I thought the bike would be free, but found out there was a minimal charge. Be sure to ask first as they didn't tell me ahead of time.

The staff is always eager to do whatever they can to help make your stay the best it can be. The lady manager wasn't always the most pleasant though. We set up tours with them and our guide was excellent and proficient in both English and his knowledge of Cambodian history. Even though it was a bit pricey the guide was worth it. The drivers were good and the vehicles were of recent vintage.

We had a pool side room which was spotless and in very good condition. The mini bar is stocked with soft drinks and is refilled every day free of charge. We were given a fruit basket filled with local fruits, chocolate truffles and a bag of locally grown cashews as a welcome gift which was a very nice touch. There were new bottles of water placed in the room every day too. It had a very nice shower, good air conditioning and a lovely view of the gorgeous pool. The pool was a little on the small side for real exercise but was refreshing and lovely to look at! The water fall added a soothing feeling which was great for relaxing.

The dining room puts out a lovely breakfast and you can order eggs in a variety of styles, including Eggs Benedict and delicious Eggs Florentine. We only ate breakfast there so I can't speak about other meals, but for breakfast there was always a fresh variety of fruits, breads and sweet rolls and cereals, coffee and juices. As an included meal for the price of the room the breakfast was exceptional. It would be great if they offered a Cambodian style choice for breakfast too though.

One of the nice things about a small hotel is that they can provide a personal touch unlike a big hotel. My departure flight was at midnight, but unfortunately I couldn't get a late check out since the hotel was full, so I checked out of the hotel at noon. They were kind to hold my bags and allowed me to continue to use all the facilities. I enjoyed sitting in the lovely open air library upstairs to write postcards and to read and relax. There is a computer there for the guests' use which I found to be a little finicky but it got the job done. I was able to use one of the spa rooms to cool off in the A/C, take a shower in one of the beautiful outdoor showers and change clothes after a full day of touring. I was very grateful for that prior to my flight!

We both had a facial at the hotel spa and it was a deluxe experience. We booked a half hour for the facial and also received a shoulder, head and neck massage which brought it up to close to an hour. After the treatment we were given hot tea and fresh spring rolls to enjoy. That was totally unexpected and very welcome! We had also tried some of the massage places in town and nothing compared to the Shinta Mani in cleanliness, professionalism and special treatment.

Because this is a training hotel, patience is a wise course. Also, be attentive to the exchange rate you receive when changing money. All in all it was a very good experience. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank cjwerlin
Write a ReviewReviews (3,138)

Reviewed 10 January 2010

We loved it here. It oozes quality and efficiency without all the "ponsification" that can come with the territory of such a hotel. The staff were friendly, efficient and discreet, rooms spotless and well-appointed and housekeeping services excellent. The buffet breakfast was plentiful and varied and restaurant food on a par with other good restaurants we ate at in Siem Reap. Location great - we could walk to pub street and cycle out along main road towards the Ankgor wat area. Would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VandL_Bath_UK
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I am not quite sure why I liked this place so much. Perhaps it was the wonderful greeting with flowers, gifts and drinks. Or perhaps it was the abundance of free nuts, fruit, chocolates and a fridge full of free drinks in the room. It seems that these guestures and the constant smiling of the very pleasant staff worked.
Its quite a small place (which I prefer) but has a restaurant and a spa. Most rooms are set round a small uninviting pool. Bedroom was great with a big king sized bed, good furniture and a small but decent marble bathroom. Breakfast was limited but still very good. The whole place was neat and clean and had a very soft and tranquil atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bond1674
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We chose the Shinta Mani because of its outreach to the villages of Siem Reap. We were able to see that up close and personal, but got so much more. The service is impecable. The staff are attentive, but not in an overt way. I arrived a bit under the weather and had to send my husband off alone for our first visit to Angkor Wat, which was amazing in and of itself and our guide was so knowledgeable and friendly. When the staff heard I was sick, they were all so sweet. Every time I came into the lobby, they were so concerned about me. I felt so cared for.

Our room was by the pool and delightful. We were able to step outside our rooms in our robes and walk over for massages. The food was delicious. We ate all but one meal there and the food there was the best by far.

We saw mega hotels on every corner on the way in, but found the Shinta Mani snuggled into the Old French Quarter and within walking distance or a short tuk-tuk ride to town.

The highlight was taking a bicycle to a remote village and visiting a school. Soloman, Thieny and Pang were perfect guides for us as we went over back roads to the villages. The scenery was amazing. Rice paddies, children playing and the simple life of the villagers. We delivered the bicycle to a single mother and her family who were so appreciative and went on to see the school and what Shinta Mani was doing there. The joy in the faces of these people who could see hope for their children in the building of this school was heart warming.

I wish we had stayed longer....the ancient ruins...the joyful people of Cambodia and a hotel that speaks volumns in what they are doing for the people of Siem Reap.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Shinta Mani is our new favorite place, anywhere. It has local character, charm in abundance, great rooms/beds, excellent restaurant (best meals we had in Cambodia), wonderful staff, and walking-distance location. Spa services were provided by staff, not contractors. Siem Reap was a surprise with its main road lined with modern monster hotels. This one stands apart not just in location (historic building in old French quarter) but in character and quality. Walk to the market and Pub Street. The proprietors run a school to teach hospitality services and the service reflects exacting standards. Sample the gourmet entrees in the restaurant (also walk to Le Oriental and have frog legs!). You won't find much in Cambodia, or SE Asia from our experience, like this place. A gem.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We stayed in a poolside room for 5 nights, during our trip to Cambodia. All the staff are fantastic and can not do enough to help you. The room may be a little dated, but was very comfortable, with a good shower room. We booked all our trips (Temples and Tonle Sap) through the hotel and this worked very well. Excellant guide and tuk tuk driver, who we then hired by ourselved for our final day.
A quick tuk tuk ride to the Central Market area of town with lovely restaurants. We only had breakfast & lunch at the hotel which was fine, but expensive by local standards.
The spa was great. Would recommend this hotel to anyone with an interest in putting money directly towards good causes.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JoJacksLondon
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I spent a number of weeks at the Shinta Mani with my two children (one teen ager, one younger child) while working in Siem Reap. We could not have chosen a better place to stay! The Shinta Mani has all the best amenities of a lovely hotel: extremely clean and comfortable rooms, a nice pool area, wonderful spa, delicious and interesting food served in a lovely garden. But what we appreciated most about the place were the extraordinary people we met there. They were unfailingly kind and helpful and always very sweet with my children. They helped facilitate all our transportation, both for work and fun. But beyond their kindnesses to their guests, we admired them for their community work, which involved the entire staff. The hotel also runs a training institute for students from villages all over Cambodia. It was interesting to meet them and hear their stories. The community aid work that the hotel does in villages is for real - and very inspiring. A portion of the profits earned from your stay goes back to the community so just by staying at the Shinta Mani you are helping poor villagers. The hotel also has development projects including seed banks, support for elderly and disabled villagers, support for village schools, farm animal projects (giving pigs and chickens to poor villagers who then give some of the offspring of their animals to others). Shinta Mani gives you the opportunity to have fun and relax in Siem Reap, but also to learn about (and visit, if you wish) what Cambodia is like outside of the town and ancient temples. My kids loved the place and I will definitely stay there again when I return to Siem Reap.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business