“Lovely staff made this a great experience”
Review of Mingalar Inn

Mingalar Inn
Ranked #175 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely staff made this a great experience”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The staff at this hotel were so amazingly friendly. They let us check in at an extremely late hour, our bus arrived at midnight (they had lost our booking, which was only made that day anyway, but gave us a room anyway). Some of the desk staff didn't have the best english but they still went out of their way to help us get our bags to our rooms and settle us in. Always helpful with advice about the local sights and booking us reliable tuktuk drivers. The rooms were rather spartan but comfortable enough and cheap and definitely clean. The location is great, just a short walk to all the shops in town, and they serve very yummy breakfasts. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank EmilyH01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I booked this guesthouse based on other reviewer. I was lucky I ended up with an American in my taxi who was heading to the same direction. I forgot to print out the map of the guesthouse.

I was greeted with refreshing cold water. This was my first guesthouse experience and it was great. The room was great for the price. The bed was big, and provide enough lighting. The windows were sealed with steel bars. It was a good thing because I heard some noise early in the morning and I thought someone was trying to break in.

They also provide many other services like tuk tuk rental, and bus tickets. I got the tuk tuk for the sunset view in the Angkor Wat site. I got a chance to talk to the owner, he was very nice. He also let me use his plug adapter because I forgot to get one.

On my last day I booked the van to Phnom Penh and I was charged $6. Somehow in the morning I was drop off at the bus stop. The driver drag my bag into the bus and I had to go and get it. I told them this is not my stop, I'm looking for the van. They drove me to their company site and someone jumped in. The guy said we are going to the van now, and there a seat available. It will be extra $2. I don't know the situation so I give him $2 when I got to the van. I got the van ticket with bus seating at the bus price describe by the guy that jumped into the car. I kind of wish I went with the bus because I met some new people on the taxi ride to the bus stop. But I get to Phnom Penh faster with the van.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2011

The road outside may be a little bumpy outside but the staff an service provided here more than make up for it. A short walk to the old market, abundant tuk-tuk drivers at the corner, laundry next door and a travel consultant make this one of the best places to stay in the Siem Reap province if you want to see the true Cambodia.

The rooms are good for this price range, very clean, air conditioned and with hot water showers (if you need it). The restaurant with Burmese-Khmer food is also a surprise.

A great find in Siem Reap!

• Stayed September 2011
Helena, Montana
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Mandalay Inn charges so very little for what it provides. The rooms are fairly large (for the price), the air conditioning works well, and the beds are good. Could there be more decoration? Yes. I suggest that the outstanding manager, Mr. Peng Ann, add a couple more prints to the wall in each room. Could the location be better? Nope. Could the helpfulness of the management be improved? No way. I'll give an example. I stayed at Mandalay Inn for 5 nights. I foolishly left something in Phnom Penh, which was to be sent to Siem Reap. It had not yet arrived, however, when I needed to return to Thailand. Mr. Peng Ann, once alerted to this issue, made sure that the package, when it arrived at Mandalay Inn, would be sent to me at Ko Samui, Thailand. Yes, I did get this item.

SE Asia is not the most efficient place on earth. Cambodia is not the most efficient place in SE Asia. But at Mandalay Inn, the customer is cared for with great dedication.

Another example: when I arrived from PP, I was very, very hungry (those fried tarantulas available on a stop during my bus ride from PP to SR just wouldn't do). The restaurant was closed, unfortunately. Did this stop the wife of the manager? No, she prepared a meal for me on the double.

When I travel in Asia, I usually stay more up-market than Mandalay Inn. However, Travelfish was insistent that this place was worthwhile. I couldn't agree more.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Another crappy place recommended on Lonely Planet. Pillows were completely stained & smelled ripe as did the bed. Had to launder everything I slept in the next day .They forgot to wake me up for my wake up call & forgot to book my tuk tuk driver who was supposed to take me to the temples at 7 am...then their tuk tuk driver gave me a sob story about how I can easily afford lunch but he cannot.....This is NOT a good nor acceptable place to stay. Get a grip. change the bedding , wake people when you say you will ...Also I was told kitchen would be open at 6 am & it was not...Come on.............Charged extra for butter.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank HawaiianBodysurfer
mandalayinn, Manager at Mingalar Inn, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear HawaiianBodysurfer,
Thank you very much for your staying with us and apology that we could not reach your expectation.
1) As we always respect customer comments, decided to changed pillow by last week. However, review is a bit too much thought.
2) The tuk tuk drivers are work by freelance and their own story is nothing to do with Mandalay Inn and management. We try our best to provide whatever the tourist needed.
3) Regarding the wakeup call “You just ask us “Do you have wakeup call service?” You do not even ask us the time that wakes you up. Sorry that we could not provide this service by without proper asking with time of waking up.
4) The kitchen open at 6am every morning but you must allow a few minutes to cook your food as our cooks are not magicians. Those breakfast menu have the whole breakfast set or Bread with Butter Jam or Only Bread or only coffee and so on. As it is already set at super cheap price then nothing to complaint about (0.50 $) charge for butter thought! Pay as you go!
Thanks you very much for your consume time on writing review.

Peng An TRAY (Mr.)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Had three nights here. We would stay again, everything worked, place was clean (all they seem to do is clean the place!). Made us feel very welcome.

Did not tick overall as excellent as I presume any place could improve!

• Stayed August 2011
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stayed here while on our travels around Cambodia, the staff are super friendly and helpful, the food was nice and cheap and the room was clean, cool and well equipped. This is a great cheap place to stay with all the mod cons you'd need. I totally reccomend it. Great location to walk around too.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple