“A bit out of the way but great overall”

Angkor Palace Resort & Spa
Ranked #79 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
taiwan
“A bit out of the way but great overall”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Really nice environs, too many Mosquitos on each rooms patio. Beds a bit soft. Otherwise amazing place awesome service!

• Stayed February 2012
Grand Soluxe An... P, Front Office Manager at Angkor Palace Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Butanehi,

Thank you very much for your time in providing such valuable feedback to our resort. Your valuable feedback helps us to look at areas that we need to improve in, especially areas where only discerning guests like yourself will be able to notice.

Once again, please do accept our heartfelt gratitude!

Manager, eCommerce & Front Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Not knowing what to expect of a 5 star Cambodian hotel we were pleased to find that it was well set back from the busy main road down a side street and in peaceful grounds. All rooms seem to overlook the pool, but because of tree planting were fairly private, and had a seating balcony. We arrived a 9.30 am, and were given a room right away. It was always kept spotless, and cleaned without us seeing anyone. We experienced none of the cleaners corridor noise we often find in hotels. They must have been trained to be silenct. We ate 'a la carte ' in the restaurant rather than have the buffets downstairs (only options) , and the food was superb and wine reasonably priced. We had lunch at the pool twice, and I can't praise the kitchen enough. Super succulent light meals at a prices so cheap they were a steal. The lobby was a little old fashioned, but airy and pleasant enough. We used the spa twice after weary trips in the heat walking in the temples of Angkor Wat. The Khmer Massages (robe on) were great, and so cheap. We even got a voucher for a reduction on one day so had a 1.5 hour massage for $35 US. Now that's Cheap! The hotel has recently been extended, and the gardens were being replanted when we were there, but this was being done carefully and will look great when finished. We booked a guide to meet us at the hotel through Ankhor Guide services on the internet. Its worth pre booking and having a car to go round the place. We paid the same for an A/C car for a day as others guests were paying for a dusty motor cycle tuk tuk. In the heat we could only laugh. There are lots of Korean tourists using this hotel but that added to the experience especially when seeing what was on offer at breakfast. This was a great place to stay and all the staff were very helpful.

1 Thank dcberry2016
Grand Soluxe An... P, Front Office Manager at Angkor Palace Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear FarnhamFoodlover,

Greetings from Grand Soluxe Angkor Palace!

First of all let me thank you for providing us your feedback via Trip Advisor. I realize this took time out of your day and for that I am appreciative.

I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay in our resort. We believe in providing our guests the best services and attention, and nothing makes us happier than a confirmation of our guest's satisfaction. Your fine compliments are highly appreciated and we shall certainly share the comment with our team.

Thank you for highlighting on the garden. We are continually putting extra effort to improve on the garden and the surrounding resort. This recent enhancement is personally looking after by our owner as we wish to make sure that everything done professionally and up to the standard of the International luxury resort.

Nevertheless, our heartfelt appreciation and we look forward to welcoming you again and to be of service to you and your esteemed friends / colleagues in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here 12th-16th Feb 2012.
We had booked a Jasmine Villa and were upgraded to one with its own private pool - which was nice but we didn't really take advantage of the pool as the main pool was literally just outside our villa and with the pool you lost the bath - but we struggled to get much hot water in the shower so possibly wouldn't have been able to have relaxing hot baths anyway. We booked the hotel through Agoda at a much reduced rate – we would have been very upset had we paid the full rate advertised for this quality of hotel.

The villa was clean and in good condition. The bed was hard and the quilt and pillows were manmade fiber which were very uncomfortable. Usually I only get feather pillows in 5 start hotels. We asked for feather pillows on the 3rd day and we ended up with 2 feather and 2 man made, with still a man made fiber quilt.

The restaurant does have some quality issues. I had a Beef Fillet steak one evening and it was dreadful - full of gristle and no way a fillet cut. Put it this way, I've had better steaks in a UK pub for less than a fiver. I had a beef dish the next night - shredded beef something and the beef was the same low quality, you simply couldn't chew it.

My wife had fish and seafood dishes and she enjoyed all of hers. One night -valentines night- I had Salmon and it was fine....the problem was that I finished my whole dish by the time they brought my wife’s dish. They didn’t offer to take mine back until my wife’s was ready, as they kept saying my wife’s was on its way. They were very apologetic and gave us a free desert but it’s not really acceptable service.
The spa was very nice in terms of treatment and sauna etc…..there is no Jacuzzi if you are expecting that other than an area in the main swimming pool that puts out a few bubbles. If you want to use the gym or sauna, call 10 minutes ahead of time as the sauna always needed heating up and the gym needs the Air-Conditioning turning on. Can’t really complain on this point as most people are out sightseeing and its good green credentials to keep them off when not being used.

The concierge service is very dodgy. This maybe a general comment on Siem Reap but as we didn’t go to any other hotel I have nothing to compare it to. We booked a taxi for half a day. We visited a temple and after about 2 hours wanted to go to another one. The taxi driver wasn’t around…pure co-incidence he’d gone to town to get petrol at just the time we were ready to move on….make sure you get their mobile number! Anyway he was back in 10 mins. The concierge had been quite insistent that for half a day we can only fit one sight in, if we want to see more we really need a full day. That’s complete rubbish, half a day is good for 2 sights and 3 if you a little quicker. Anyhow the taxi driver really wasn’t happy that we wanted to fit in another stop off and asked for a full day….absolutely not. The concierge also asked us, that if we wanted the driver for a 2nd day to do it direct with the taxi driver and not through the hotel….seems dodgy to me!
When departing for the airport we asked for a normal taxi, which is half the price of the hotel taxi. The bell boys were insistent that we could only use the hotel car and they are not allowed to get a public taxi. We were not having that just on principle and went to the concierge, the same one who 2 days earlier got us a taxi for half a day with a quick call and it arrived within minutes. This time he insisted it would take a minimum of 30 minutes to get one and refused to even call the taxi company. On principle I was very annoyed and insisted on seeing the general manager. I was told no one was available. Due to time we took the hotel taxi…. with ZERO tip. This really was unacceptable behavior.

If you can I would try one of the main 5 start brands. In the reception area there is plenty of literature asking you to rate them on trip advisor so they obviously get a lot of business based on the rating in trip advisor. I am VERY skeptical on the trip advisor rating for this hotel, just too many things were not good enough for a 5 star badge.

Room Tip: Don't pay the full rate for a room you will kick yourself. It's ok if you get a half price d...
3 Thank SevenStarTraveller
Grand Soluxe An... P, Front Office Manager at Angkor Palace Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear SevenStarTraveller,

Greetings from Grand Soluxe Angkor Palace, Siem Reap!

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your stay in Siem Reap. We sincerely appreciate your feedback to us. Feedback helps us to know areas that we may have fallen short of guest expectations and where we may need to reflect, review and improve. Please kindly allow us to address the points raised in your feedback.

Our housekeeping received a request for soft pillows, hence delivered soft pillows as requested.

The beef was not full of gristle but some trimmings that was part of the way our chef does the standard cutting and trimming for the beef to be served. Restaurant staff acknowledged that there was a confusion over the order and they attempted to rectify that. Out of concern that the salmon might become cold while waiting for your baked seabass, staff had taken the initiative to serve the salmon first.

Your sightseeing tour was handled by Tola at the tour desk. The tour desk is an outsourced service to a contractor to complement the services provided by hotel. Tola had clearly explained regarding the rental of the car and the itinerary. While at the temple, your visit coincided with the visit by governmental level dignitaries. Hence the police ordered all vehicles to move away. Your driver was unfortunately one of them.

Your stay with us was for four nights. I was informed that you were very pleased throughout your stay and with the upgrade to the Frangipani villa that came with the pool. The pool at the Frangipani villa is not blocked by any shade or overhanging trees or plants. It can in fact capture much of the sun throughout the day. We have a nice aerial video done that has been uploaded on the YouTube. The Frangipani villa was filmed from the air with a clear view of the pool.

We apologize if some of our facilities and services did not meet your expectations. As English is not the native language spoken in Cambodia, there is the inevitable challenge in communication. Again, we apologize for that.

I truly hope you were nevertheless charmed by the Khmer hospitality. I have as a foreigner having been here for years. What that may have fallen short of expectations is made up by the sincere efforts made by everyone here to ensure every visitor leaves with fond memories of their stay in this Khmer kingdom. Once again, thank you very much for all your feedback. We will reflect, review and strive to improve ourselves.

Nevertheless, we hope this experience did not deter you from supporting us again. We always strive to ensure every guest of Grand Soluxe Angkor Palace be it on business or leisure leave the resort contented, and in meeting the guests every need.

Thank you for providing us with your favorable feedback.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I booked this resort for a company off-site location (5 people total) blindly. Having never been to Cambodia, I was clueless, however NOT dissapointed! Everyone from the drivers to the waiters and everywhere in between were spectacular! We rented a meeting room for a day of meetings and those folks were just as pleasant as everyone else working at the resort. Top notch service!!

The rooms were beautiful and spacious, very clean and well maintained. The bowl of fresh fruit and flowers was a nice little touch. Loved the shower area :)

The breakfast buffet was good....typical for a hotel/resort, but good. Freshly made egg dishes, waffles, pancakes etc. Fresh cut up fruit each morning which was well liked and eaten.

Dinner was great; I only suggest when ordering lamb that you ask for it medium or well. Being a Westerner, we like our lamb pink, not red. This has nothing to do with the quality or presentation of the food, just a personal issue. When ordered the second time, I asked for medium and it was PERFECT!

Our Team really enjoyed the swim up bar and found ourselves there each night after our adventures and activities. They have a food menu, you just have to ask for it. We snacked on Pizza's :) The pool was very tidy, clean and refreshing.

Activities....while I gave the resort serveral attempts to make recomendations, the information was always incomplete. How many times do you suspect they are asked "what is the best restaurant in town for traditional food?" and yet they still did not have a recomendation? No biggie, I did my own research..the resort is not there afterall to be your travel planner! We did the following:

Activities:
Service Project by helping to build the walls for a school in a village where children and adults. The walls were made from plastic bottles!! We did this project with this orgranization: http://www.beyonduniqueescapes.com/ Beyond is organized by LOVELY people.

We LOVED their organization and plans SO much that we ended up booking the 2nd day (Angkor Wat Tour) with them too!

And the 3rd day, you got it, we had a private sunset cruise!

While the prices were great, the EXPERIENCE will leave you with more than you can imagine! Lim was our guide, he was AMAZING. I recommend Lim, however, everyone at Beyond was wonderful to be around. *Lim speaks PERFECT English incase you are looking for an English speaking guide. A walking book of knowledge, great tone and just overall wonderful to be around. We spent 8-12hours a day with Lim during our entire trip to Siem Reap!

I hope you choose to stay at this resort and wish you safe travels! You will not be disappointed!

Dont forget to call Beyond for your adventures, I promise, just like the resort, you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Can not imagine there is a "bad" room at this resort! We stayed on the 3rd floor and it w...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear BeckyS2012,

Thank you for providing us with your favorable feedback and I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay in our resort. Your comment is definitely valuable as it allows us to improve on our products and services towards overall guests’ satisfaction.

I will be happy to share comments to the hotel team members and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back home again soon.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Our recent stay at the Grand Soluxe was excellent. The accomodations and setting of the resort were beautiful. Very tropical and calming in the hub of a busy city. Good location close to Angkor Wat and a short Tuk Tuk to the downtown and night market. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. The warm welcome by the staff at check in was very much appreciated as we felt warmly welcomed. The spa and gym facilities were wonderful. Overall and excellent stay at the hotel and would highly recommend it!

Dear pinkycotton,

Greetings from Grand Soluxe Angkor Palace!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the resort feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay in our resort and I will pass on your comments to the hotel team members.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Siem Reap again soon.

Kansas City
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Spent three nights here in February 2012 and loved the experience. The grounds are spread out with beautiful landscaping with a huge pool as a centerpiece surrounded by the buildings of the resort. Each floor in your building has a lounge area which is welcoming. Each room has a beautiful view. A free shuttle service takes you into town each evening, but be sure to use the tuk-tuk "taxi" waiting at the front entrance. Lots of fun and very inexpensive. My husband and I went into town, our driver waited 30 minutes for us while we got a foot massage, and then took us back to the hotel. It was only $7 and we gave him $10. Free internet, great food, however time is not important in the dining room, so be prepared if you order off the menu. Great value and a highlight of our trip to S.E. Asia.

Room Tip: All overlook the beautiful grounds, you can't go wrong.
Dear Makana073,

I would like to extend our thanks to you for taking the time to comment on our services and sharing with us your pleasant experience during your recent stay. We are most delighted to learn from your line that you were impressed with our facilities and services.

It is gratifying that the Grand Soluxe played some part in your enjoyment of Cambodia and we hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure to welcome you and your family back, we remain.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Luxury hotel which wins awards. Rooms are good and pool area is well designed with lots of space and a swim up bar.however, there appears to be a push to large package tours and breakfasts during our three day visit were a nightmare with people everywhere and food not being replenished quickly enough. We also had problems with service in the dining room in the evening and room service - too busy to bring ice!
The concierge staff, however, were very good and almost anticipated requirements.
In fairness, friends stayed on after we left and said it was quite good when there was a break in the big tours. The hotel is away from the main town area and a taxi or shuttle is always required as it is beyond walking distance.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Grand Soluxe An... P, Front Office Manager at Angkor Palace Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear BusterNoosaHeads,

Greetings from Grand Soluxe Angkor Palace, Siem Reap!

Thank you for providing us your feedback via Trip Advisor. I realize this took time out of your day and for that I am appreciative.

Whilst I am pleased to see that your impressions were satisfactory in the main, I have made a special note of the points mentioned toward the overall service at the restaurant during the breakfast time. Do rests assured that all the points written in the comment have been reviewed together with our management team to implement measure to improve our service standards. We look into the matter seriously.

I sincerely apologized for any inconvenience caused. Your feedback is definitely valuable as it allows us to seriously look into our products and services towards overall guests’ satisfaction.

Siem Reap is in fact a small town. From the airport to the heart of town, it only takes no more than 20 minutes. Many of us leading hotels are located equidistant between airport and town. Some of us are located near the Angkor temple complex; we are just 5 minutes away driving through the Cambodia-Korea Friendship Road. Should the customer wish to experience the bars and restaurant in the Pub Street, we provides a free shuttle into the heart of town after 7pm.....takes only 5-10 minutes.....or take a Tuk Tuk for a couple of dollars.

Thank you for providing us with your favorable feedback.