“My Favorite Hotel Worldwide!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Unique Boutique Cambodia

Unique Boutique Cambodia
Ranked #91 of 334 Hotels in Siem Reap
Alexandria, Virginia
“My Favorite Hotel Worldwide!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2008

Last year, my husband and I stayed at Journeys Within for a few days during our honeymoon trip. Between the 2 of us, we have traveled pretty far and wide around the world. For me, it is my favorite place to stay any where in the world... for husband, it is in his top 5. He found the place her on TripAdvisor and called Andrea to book the room. Not did we have an excellent room, but she also arranged a 3 day tour of the Angkor area for us that included a personal guide whose English was excellent, a clean air conditioned car and drive, 5 of the most excellent temples I have ever seen. We ate several meals there at the B&B... they we cheap and very delicious! I still talk about the garlic chicken and fresh spring rolls! The pool area is gorgeous and feels so wonderful after a long day of trekking the temples. We had drinks with Brandon one night and just talked about SEAsia and the people. The bungalow was exceptionally clean and the bathroom was to die for! It felt like being home. The gardens and fresh flowers were beautiful and the staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered. If you ever find yourself in Siem Reap for ANY reason.... BOOK A STAY AT JOURNEYS WITHIN!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Friendliness of owners and staff, food, pool, proximity to Angkor
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicks1980

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

It is so hard to explain how wonderful this property is. The grounds are beautiful. My room was quite large; comfortable and gorgeous. The room had a refrigerator with free soft drinks and water. The bathroom looked like a spa with a beautiful stone shower and high quality toiletries. The room was nicely appointed and beautifully decorated. The room had a nice sitting area along with an outdoor patio.

They have an amazing cook on site. Some of the best meals I had were right here in the hotel. You may order food to have it delivered to your room or patio, pool side, the hotel patio or in the lobby. The lobby is really more like a comfortable family room. When I arrived, I was invited to sit down and visit with the owner, Brandon Ross and enjoy a cold drink. It was a lovely welcome and that warm hospitality was extended throughout my visit.
Journeys Within has an atmosphere that feels like you are among friends rather than strangers. Andrea and Brandon are exceptional. In addition to their work in the travel and tourism industry in S.E. Asia, they are actively involved in philanthropic efforts in Cambodia. My stay was brightened by the appearance of Brandon and Andrea’s two adorable children. The staff is exceptionally attentive and are there to meet any needs that you have. Also, Andrea referred me tothe most amazing vendors at the market.

If you’d like to have more of an experience than just lodging, I’d highly recommend Journeys Within. My stay was made much more memorable because of the special place that Andrea and Brandon and staff have created. You will leave with a special place in your heart for all of the lovely people at Journeys Within.

• Liked — The warm, family enviornment.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank HaveTrunk
TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2008

I stayed at Journeys Within for several days during a month long tour of Asia. My travels over the last ten years have taken me across Europe, North America and Asia and never have I had an experience like I did at Journeys Within. In the past, after a day of touring I would frequently come back to just a clean and comfortable hotel room or B&B, but while in Siem Reap I felt for the first time that I was going "home." On occasion, I even Freudiantly called it home.
This beautiful plot of land houses newly constructed bungalows each with an different touch of personality. Our group occupied three rooms and their unique coziness made every evening enjoyable.
The staff and managers of Journeys Within were unbelievably accommodating and made every effort possible to facilitate our stay. Our tours of the nearby temples were coordinated through Journeys Within and truly captured the essence of this unique part of the world. By the time I left, I felt as if I had known the owners for years. I highly recommend a trip Siem Reap for anyone who will be near SE Asia and I recommend having Journeys Within really show you how to travel.

• Liked — Friendly staff and beautiful accomodations with easy access to Temples, shopping and restaurants.
  • Disliked — Too much to do and see in only a few days that I spent there.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
West Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2008

After reading all the outstanding reviews on JWB&B on TripAdvisor, we decided to check it out for ourselves.

I called Andrea Ross, the owner, at her California phone number (she happened to be back in the States then) and she was SO helpful with the logistics of our large family of six (which included a 10-year old, an 80-year old, and a 13-year old on crutches). We rented two beautiful spacious bungalows - The Discovery Den and The Buddah Bungalow - which each had two comfortable queen beds plus a roll-away bed so that everyone could have their own bed. Andrea was also a great in helping us plan our trip to see the Angkor temples by arranging a driver and A/C van plus a guide, as well as giving us general tourist information - amount of money to bring, weather, etc. Moreover, we wanted to visit a school and bring some treats for the children. She arranged that as well and we passed out toothbrushes, stickers, and pencils during our visit.

When we arrived at JWBB, Andrea's husband Brandon spent almost an hour greeting us. He explained the logistics of the B&B but also answered our questions about Cambodia and her history, the tourist sites to see, our general tourist questions. We were impressed with their adventurous spirit to start this B&B several years ago as a young couple from the U.S. They now have two toddlers and have started a philatrophic organization as well to help the local Khmer people.

Back to the B&B, here's the details:

*Place is cozy with three buildings (5 units), a salt water pool,
and a lush green garden.
*Beautifully decorated & spacious bungalow with a Zen type
looking bathroom. A/C & fan in room.
*TV & DVD in the room. The front desk has hundred of DVD
titles to borrow.
*Mini-refridgerator is stocked with complimentary bottled water
& soda. Beer is $1.50.
*The breakfast portions are very generous. You can order as
much as you want.
*Lunch, dinner, and snacks are available for a very reasonable
price. The food is delicious and convenient, especially after
a long day visiting the temples.
* Complimentary shuttle to and from the airport.
* Complimentary laundry service.
* Staff is very friendly and helpful
* We arranged a driver/van & guide through JWBB. Mr. Theam
Vuthy was excellent! He a young fellow in his late 20's, spoke
excellent English, was very well-versed in the history and
culture of Cambodia and the Hindu/Buddhist temples of
Angkor. Vuthy also knew where to take the best photo shots
and is a good photographer as well. It was definitely worth
spending the $25 per day to have a personal guide to see
the temples! See www.vuthyguide.com.

We're so glad that we didn't stay at a hotel but instead stayed at this personal and cozy B&B.

• Liked — Beautiful clean rooms, service, food,
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank slushy
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2008

I can only echo everything said by all the other contributors here.

The rooms are excellent, the staff are very friendly and the guides are excellent.

We had a great time here and would not hesitate to recommend the place to others.

• Liked — Well appointed, stylish and clean
  • Disliked — Food could have been better
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2008

We rented the Ramayana Retreat for a week and simply had the most amazing stay. It was truly a home-away-from home experience, complete with all the amenities from home.

The Ramayana is the 2-story bungalow that was perfect for our family (2 parents and 26 year old daughter). It offered lots of space and was very comfortable with A/C on both floors and nice beds.

The staff was exceptional in every way. They always did their best to make us feel at home, and they did everything with a smile on their faces. We had the opportunity to meet with Brandon, one of the owners, and he helped us understand the Cambodian way of life better. We also were fortunate to have a very helpful driver and guide take us around Angkor Wat and Siem Reap for several days. Mr. Sina (the guide) is fantastic! He's patient, great at explaining everything, and very willing to take you wherever you might be interested.

The kitchen makes *amazing* food for such a good price! We had a majority of our meals at the hotel because the food was just so fantastic. The chef even invited us in for a look at how she was making her special soup!

We would highly recommend Journeys Within to any type of traveler! Can't wait to return!

• Liked — Amazing staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank giulieta
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

This is a one of a kind getaway....beautiful rooms, friendly staff and fellow guests, and excellent service. This is a must if you like good conversations and new experiences. Leave the hotel style accomodations for another trip!

Staying here is really amazing for the unique "off the beaten track" experience. I would highly recommend talking to staff about the Journey's Within Our Community non-profit organization-these were some of the most memorable experiences of my trip to south-east Asia.

Stayed January 2008