“Journeys Within is First Class”

Community Residence Siem Reap
Ranked #121 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I spent only one night at Journeys Within B&B after my tour of Vietnam/Angkor ended before leaving for Luang Prabang, which by the way Andrea at Journeys Within booked for me as well, and it was wonderful. The staff are lovely, very attentive, the rooms were beautiful as were the grounds and pool. I wish I could have stayed longer but I was on a limited schedule with additional places to visit.

The Journeys Within team perform a great service to the surrounding community and I would highly recommend staying here while in Siem Reap, and using them to book any of the tours they offer throughout Asia. It was a first class experience for me. Eleanor (Pennsylvania)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Community Residence Siem Reap

Reviewed 6 November 2008

Wow - what can we say - an oasis with a community conscience!

We LOVED Journeys Within - great staff - organised child-friendly tour guide (Sina) for the temples, tuk-tuk's and anything else we needed. Staff were friendly and genuinely wanted to help and provide for our every need. Food was great - enough variety to keep fussy kids happy and adults wanting to experience the local food as well. Pool was fantastic - a salt pool - which was a bonus. Rooms were clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. We will be back and recommending to anyone who will listen! Loved also their commitment to putting back into the community and local area. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank MillsMob
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Visiting Angkor Wat is of course a unique experience and I discovered that staying at Journeys Within was also a unique experience all to itself. From the moment I checked in I received very attentive yet unobtrusive treatment from the staff. For example, sit down in the lobby to use the free pc or wifi and before you know it there is a glass of water or ice tea at your side. The complimentary laundry service is even better than being back home visiting my mother (hahaha). The room was really exquisite - beautiful, comfortable, with all the amenities one would expect from a place of this caliber. The shower design was really nice (see fotos). I happened to be there when it wasn't full so it really felt like I and the other guests who were there were staying at a friend's mansion. That's the atmosphere. My suspicion is that it always has that feeling, even when full. The food was very tasty also and the pool and the grounds were relaxing. I had the opportunity to also spend a lot of time with the owner and some of his colleagues who are working on the projects supported by Journeys Within's non-profit arm and it is really cool and inspiring what they are doing.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank lennybruce
Reviewed 16 September 2008

Last year, my husband and I stayed at Journeys Within for a few days during our honeymoon trip. Between the 2 of us, we have traveled pretty far and wide around the world. For me, it is my favorite place to stay any where in the world... for husband, it is in his top 5. He found the place her on TripAdvisor and called Andrea to book the room. Not did we have an excellent room, but she also arranged a 3 day tour of the Angkor area for us that included a personal guide whose English was excellent, a clean air conditioned car and drive, 5 of the most excellent temples I have ever seen. We ate several meals there at the B&B... they we cheap and very delicious! I still talk about the garlic chicken and fresh spring rolls! The pool area is gorgeous and feels so wonderful after a long day of trekking the temples. We had drinks with Brandon one night and just talked about SEAsia and the people. The bungalow was exceptionally clean and the bathroom was to die for! It felt like being home. The gardens and fresh flowers were beautiful and the staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered. If you ever find yourself in Siem Reap for ANY reason.... BOOK A STAY AT JOURNEYS WITHIN!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nicks1980
Reviewed 9 July 2008

It is so hard to explain how wonderful this property is. The grounds are beautiful. My room was quite large; comfortable and gorgeous. The room had a refrigerator with free soft drinks and water. The bathroom looked like a spa with a beautiful stone shower and high quality toiletries. The room was nicely appointed and beautifully decorated. The room had a nice sitting area along with an outdoor patio.

They have an amazing cook on site. Some of the best meals I had were right here in the hotel. You may order food to have it delivered to your room or patio, pool side, the hotel patio or in the lobby. The lobby is really more like a comfortable family room. When I arrived, I was invited to sit down and visit with the owner, Brandon Ross and enjoy a cold drink. It was a lovely welcome and that warm hospitality was extended throughout my visit.
Journeys Within has an atmosphere that feels like you are among friends rather than strangers. Andrea and Brandon are exceptional. In addition to their work in the travel and tourism industry in S.E. Asia, they are actively involved in philanthropic efforts in Cambodia. My stay was brightened by the appearance of Brandon and Andrea’s two adorable children. The staff is exceptionally attentive and are there to meet any needs that you have. Also, Andrea referred me tothe most amazing vendors at the market.

If you’d like to have more of an experience than just lodging, I’d highly recommend Journeys Within. My stay was made much more memorable because of the special place that Andrea and Brandon and staff have created. You will leave with a special place in your heart for all of the lovely people at Journeys Within.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank HaveTrunk
Reviewed 14 May 2008

I stayed at Journeys Within for several days during a month long tour of Asia. My travels over the last ten years have taken me across Europe, North America and Asia and never have I had an experience like I did at Journeys Within. In the past, after a day of touring I would frequently come back to just a clean and comfortable hotel room or B&B, but while in Siem Reap I felt for the first time that I was going "home." On occasion, I even Freudiantly called it home.
This beautiful plot of land houses newly constructed bungalows each with an different touch of personality. Our group occupied three rooms and their unique coziness made every evening enjoyable.
The staff and managers of Journeys Within were unbelievably accommodating and made every effort possible to facilitate our stay. Our tours of the nearby temples were coordinated through Journeys Within and truly captured the essence of this unique part of the world. By the time I left, I felt as if I had known the owners for years. I highly recommend a trip Siem Reap for anyone who will be near SE Asia and I recommend having Journeys Within really show you how to travel.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2008

After reading all the outstanding reviews on JWB&B on TripAdvisor, we decided to check it out for ourselves.

I called Andrea Ross, the owner, at her California phone number (she happened to be back in the States then) and she was SO helpful with the logistics of our large family of six (which included a 10-year old, an 80-year old, and a 13-year old on crutches). We rented two beautiful spacious bungalows - The Discovery Den and The Buddah Bungalow - which each had two comfortable queen beds plus a roll-away bed so that everyone could have their own bed. Andrea was also a great in helping us plan our trip to see the Angkor temples by arranging a driver and A/C van plus a guide, as well as giving us general tourist information - amount of money to bring, weather, etc. Moreover, we wanted to visit a school and bring some treats for the children. She arranged that as well and we passed out toothbrushes, stickers, and pencils during our visit.

When we arrived at JWBB, Andrea's husband Brandon spent almost an hour greeting us. He explained the logistics of the B&B but also answered our questions about Cambodia and her history, the tourist sites to see, our general tourist questions. We were impressed with their adventurous spirit to start this B&B several years ago as a young couple from the U.S. They now have two toddlers and have started a philatrophic organization as well to help the local Khmer people.

Back to the B&B, here's the details:

*Place is cozy with three buildings (5 units), a salt water pool,
and a lush green garden.
*Beautifully decorated & spacious bungalow with a Zen type
looking bathroom. A/C & fan in room.
*TV & DVD in the room. The front desk has hundred of DVD
titles to borrow.
*Mini-refridgerator is stocked with complimentary bottled water
& soda. Beer is $1.50.
*The breakfast portions are very generous. You can order as
much as you want.
*Lunch, dinner, and snacks are available for a very reasonable
price. The food is delicious and convenient, especially after
a long day visiting the temples.
* Complimentary shuttle to and from the airport.
* Complimentary laundry service.
* Staff is very friendly and helpful
* We arranged a driver/van & guide through JWBB. Mr. Theam
Vuthy was excellent! He a young fellow in his late 20's, spoke
excellent English, was very well-versed in the history and
culture of Cambodia and the Hindu/Buddhist temples of
Angkor. Vuthy also knew where to take the best photo shots
and is a good photographer as well. It was definitely worth
spending the $25 per day to have a personal guide to see
the temples! See www.vuthyguide.com.

We're so glad that we didn't stay at a hotel but instead stayed at this personal and cozy B&B.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business