“A beautiful respite in Siem Reap”

Community Residence Siem Reap
Ranked #128 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I traveled to Cambodia for the first time and had the pleasure of booking my entire trip through Journeys Within (I discovered the company on Conde Nast's Gold List for sustainable travel companies).

I enjoyed every moment of planning my trip, exchanging emails with Andrea at Journeys Within to tailor my trip exactly as I wanted it. My research combined with Andrea's local insights and perspectives ensured that I enjoyed a fabulous eight-day trip that started in Bangkok then on to Siem Reap then to Koh Kong and concluding with a half-day in Phom Penh before my late night departure.

While I was in Bangkok, I had a lovely and knowledgeable private guide named Ron who introduced me to some of the many highlights of the city. I appreciated the fact that Journeys Within only hired guides who grew up in the location adding to the real local experience I had. (I stayed in the Sofitel in Bangkok; it was a nice hotel but it lacked the real personal touch that Journey Within B&B and Bungalows offers.)

I flew on to Siem Reap and spent four days in the town...not just exploring the temples with my lovely guide Santou but we also spent an afternoon at Tonle Sap Lake to see some of the floating Vietnamese villages. I also had the opportunity to explore a local village and meet many native villagers one afternoon. It was an eye-opening perspective of Siem Reap that I would have never had if I didn't seek it out.

While I was in Siem Reap, I stayed in the Buddha Bungalow, part of Journey Within B&B and Bungalows. The new space was bright, modern and large, and yet there was an understated feel about the accommodations. It wasn't pretentious - it was welcoming, warm and a 10-meter walk to the swimming pool where I swam laps every morning before breakfast and every evening before dinner. I never used the TV in the room but I did take advantage of the fully stocked refrigerator in the room for a chilled soda and water
(at no charge). And the (free) daily laundry service was magical. The bathroom was modern with a lovely walk-in shower and the guest room was spacious, fully air-conditioned, very clean and tastefully appointed.

The homemade breakfast was worth waking up for. The fresh fruit, the banana crepes, yogurt and granola and the fresh smoothie...it was all delicious. They also serve a yummy amok fish (a local dish) made fresh to order along with other local and more international dishes.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank 4ILuv2Travel

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Great little B&B. It is a 10 min tuk-tuk ride outside of the city centre, but that ride into town is an experience in itself. Great introduction to Cambodia and SEAsia. Nice and gentle pace. Family friendly. The staff are exceptional. Some are students studying hospitality. Some are locals learning the ropes in reception, kitchen, room service etc. So, service can be a little imperfect, but all can be solved with a smile. You will need insect repellent when sitting out on your balcony and when eating in the outdoor dining room, even with mozzie coils under the tables, there are still lots of mosquitoes. As for sightseeing, the staff can tailor tours for you as per your wishes with English speaking guides. The B&B is only a short drive from the temples of Angkor Wat. The school next door, and all the other charity work Journeys Within are involved with, are an inspiration. Andrea and Brandon Ross and their staff are an inspiration. Would recommend a stay at Journeys Within B&B to families travelling with small children, but teenagers and adults were catered for equally well. A great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Journeys Within hires great local people and trains them well. Smiling faces greet you everywhere. The lobby/reception area is not fancy but the rooms are huge, clean, and much nicer than we expected for the price. Whatever you need, the staff will accommodate from tuk-tuk rides to Pub Street to dinner delivered to your room.
The pool is beautiful and open 24/7. Only downside would be crowing roosters and barking dogs as neighbors.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kellymacsf
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Our stay exceeded our expectations on all counts. The rooms are impeccable and the entire property is extremely stylish in a relaxed and casual manner. The owner/operators live on site which add to the charm of staying here. Andrea is wonderful and her life is so inspiring in a beautifully balanced way. Fantastic fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at Journeys Within for 5 nights in early August 2010. Our experience with the Journeys Within team from the moment we were picked up at the airport until our drop off was an enjoyable one Narla was a great host Sinna our guide was amazing- his knowledge and humour made the tours to the temples an unbelieveable experience- truly once in a lifetime- his ability to take the perfect photo and find the banana treats on the roadside stands contributed to making the day trips truly enjoyable- he is a great asset to the organization as are all the other members of the team.
We also got to enjoy an after noon assisting an english class in the school next door which is connected to Journeys Within- it was a great experience- we only wished it had of been a longer one.
The food was exceptional especially the coconut curried chicken and the fried noodles with vegetables- sitting out on our balcony looking into the garden and over the pool made the food taste even more amazing. Our room was clean, bed extremely comfortable making sleep inevitable after a busy day seeing the sights of the area. The gift of a scarf and reuseable bag left for us was a lovely touch and one which will ensure that our holiday at Journeys Within will always be remembered. The pool is a great asset and very refreshing after a warm day- we certainly used it every chance we got during the 5 days. We left a small part of our heart in Cambodia and when we return to Siem Reap we will certainly stay at Journeys Within.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I can only really just repeat what has been said numerous times already about Journeys Within. We stayed here for 5 nights in December as part of our honeymoon and can say without doubt that it was one of the highlights of the whole trip.

Having organised part of our holiday with through Journeys Within Tours we booked into their B&B during our complete stay in Siem Reap. The room we stayed in was fantastic - spacious, clean, beautifully decorated with a bathroom that was a treat and a great terrace to enjoy the evening sun or sample the great food from their menu. We also noticed the little bits of attention that added to the experience - the flowers and small gift on the bed when we arrived, the free laundry, a little "cheat sheet" of all the recommended shops, restaurants etc to be found in Seim Reap.

What probably sets this place out from any other hotel/B&B we have stayed in is the staff -from the owners Andrea & Brandon, the guys on the front desk all the way through to the girls serving breakfast and making up the rooms - all of them always had a smile on their face and unbelievably helpful with any questions we had.

Whilst it is not in the central part of Siem Reap, just a pleasant 8 minute ride by Tuk Tuk - it almost added to the experience as it was nice to come back to the peace & tranquility of the B&B after a day spent touring the the temples & sights with the rest of the December masses. It has to be said that the pool was fantastic though sadly underused during our stay.

We had an opportunity to visit JWOC next door, the non-profit organisation that the owners have set up improving living conditions to local communities through various initiatives. It is both truly inspiring & impressive what everyone at JWOC they have achieved in such a relatively short period of time, and for us the enthusiasm of the kids who were attending one of the free classes we saw was a lasting memory.

The personalised tour itself was superbly organised and our guides in both Cambodia & Vietnam were fantastic. Any questions/problems that we had we had during the holiday were superbly dealt with by Andrea/Narla and the rest of the team, making it one of the most stress free and relaxing holidays that we have had for a long while.

I cannot recommend this place, the tour company or the people working there highly enough.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

This was our (my wife and myself) to Southeast Asia. Journey’s Within B&B was recommended by Journey’s Within Travel agency and was an amazing surprise. Very nice rooms, accommodations and a swimming pool. But the best part is the amazing service and kindness from the staff. I really recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple