“Literally an oasis. Incredible staff, superb food and great room.”
Review of Le Meridien Angkor

Le Meridien Angkor
Ranked #60 of 340 Hotels in Siem Reap
Singapore, Singapore
“Literally an oasis. Incredible staff, superb food and great room.”
Reviewed 19 March 2009

This hotel is absolutely a gem.

The staff is incredible. We were traveling with our 2.5 year old daughter and they did everything they could to make her feel comfortable, including printing out images for her to color. The concierge desk was efficiency personified. We called them at 5am to see if it was possible to get transport to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat and within 15 minutes, there was a tuk tuk waiting for us.

The room was excellent. Due to the economic slowdown, we were able to upgrade to a suite for USD110 with breakfast thrown in and it was totally worth it. We had a big living room that we could sit and chat in while our daughter slept on the gigantic bed in the bedroom.

The food be it the buffet breakfast or room service, was of really high quality and tasted great. The afternoon high tea in the lobby lounge is a great way to spend the afternoon.

We weren't expecting much when we flew into Cambodia but this hotel was such a pleasant surprise.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Adesitraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix
Reviewed 14 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at Le Meridien Angkor for 2 nights to tour the temples in the area. Siem Reap airport is cozy and we had no issues with the hotel pickup and ride to the hotel. The hotel itself is in a great location with close proximity to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom - the reason for our visit. We were thrilled with that. It is also very close to the Siem Reap town. The service in the hotel was excellent! Starting from checking us in after we were comfortably seated in the lobby, to arranging tours and a driver for us to see the temples and an early morning tuk-tuk ride for the sunrise tours to Angkor Wat. The food at the hotel was the best in our 10 day trip to Cambodia and Thailand!! It was the first time we were eating Khmer cuisine and we were blown away!! We are now looking for a local Cambodian restaurant though I doubt it will be as good. We also did a dinner show - the cultural dance show - at the hotel and while the food was great, the show felt a little repetitive.... The rooms are ok. Nothing extraordinary from any other chain hotel. They do have this odd wooden window connecting the room and bathroom which can be closed but isn't sound proof.....but the rooms itself were very comfortable. There is a foot massage place in the hotel ( seperate from the spa) and it was wonderful! Do try it after a while day of tours! On the whole though, Cambodia seemed expensive and the hotel is no exception. All the service comes at a price and be prepared to pay in USD.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandy78
Chile
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I went to Le Meridien Siem Reap with a few of expectativies. However I found an excellent hotel, extremelly friendly staff. It is an old five star hotel, well mainteined, not exclusive, but very good value. fantastic spa.
I reccomended it !!! Room are wide and warm furnished (a little bit old style)
Good food, and very close to the temples and the city.
I will come back!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
California
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I'm a Starwood Gold Member and used my points for a four-day, three-night stay at Le Meridien in early February.

The hotel's location, away from town and closest to Angkor Wat, was a big plus as I toured the temples and other sights by bicycle. I found the sleeping room clean, comfortable, well-appointed, and quiet (save for the evening when they have the traditional music and Apsara dancers!). The bed was very comfortable, and the shower had excellent water pressure. The room, as well as the pool, provided a wonderful retreat after long days of touring.

The service, at nearly all levels, was warm and attentive. Upon arrival, the GM personally gave me a full orientation, replete with restaurant, spa, and touring recommendations. The concierge was extremely helpful with all my requests, large and small. The front-desk staff accommodated my requests for an early check-in (9:30am) and late check-out (4pm). Housekeeping was excellent. And I loved the afternoon and evening treats, especially the homemade marshmallows left on my pillow!

I was out from dawn to dusk and did not have any meals at the hotel so cannot comment in this regard. I did check out the breakfast buffet one morning and found the selection to be lacking, mostly in comparison to the lavish spreads found in Thailand's Starwood properties (but that's a pretty high bar to meet!).

I did have two massages at the spa and was extremely disappointed. Staff can be much better trained in both massage techniques and guest relations. Indeed, I found the bell staff more gracious than the spa staff! The spa itself could use more ambiance. The place feels like an afterthought, located behind the small fitness center. During my treatments, I could hear conversations in the hallways, mostly among staff. Even with the 50% off promotion, I felt like I wasted my time and money. If you want a real spa experience, I would highly recommend Frangipani Spa in town. That place is an oasis for true peace and relaxation!

I agree with other reviewers that Le Meridien Angkor leaves a lot to be desired in terms of architecture and ambiance. But honestly, unless you're planning to spend a big chunk of your time at the hotel, the lack of character is not a big deal.

In sum, Le Meridien Angkor is an excellent choice if you want a quiet, comfortable place to stay that is closest to the major sights--and it's only a quick bicycle or tuk-tuk ride into town.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SanukSanuk
Paris, France
Reviewed 4 February 2009

I spent 4 nights at Le Méridien Angkor in summer 2008, booked with Starwood points.

Overall the hotel is a very good place to stay at.
Even if not charming, the hotel is convenient and the rooms are very comfortable. Bathrooms are nice and the bed is really comfortable.
It is well located, a bit away of the bustling center of Siem Reap but still within distance if you use a tuk-tuk. And it is on the road to the temples, which is good when leaving early in the morning.

The service is nice even if surprisingly far from the professionalism you would expect in a 5-star hotel. But you might consider that it is part of the exotism of Cambodia!

The pool is more than a nice-to-have given the temperature, and this one makes an enjoyable break in the afternoon.

Apart from the lack of atmosphere of the place and the somewhat poor offer of amenities (library, lounge...), the real bad point about this hotel is the over-priced, not-so-good food it serves. Definitely plan on having lunch and dinner downtown as this will definitely be a much nicer experience.

• Liked — Nice hotel, pleasant pool
  • Disliked — Lack of atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Sinaloa237
Chicago
Reviewed 3 February 2009

This is the first time I would advise not staying at a Starwood property.

Booked three nights using points via the Starwood/SPG toll free number. Requested an option for Club Level/Lounge access for 2000 addition points per night.

Arrived at the hotel to be told that lounge access is only available from 10:00A - 4:00P. No breakfast, no pre-dinner drinks/snacks and the hotel does not have a 'Club Leve'. I was aware that free drinks were soft drinks/tea/coffee, but figured they would still have snack and a paid bar option in the evening. They also stated that the limited lounge access was available to me as a Gold level member anyway. I asked what it was we were getting for 2000 additional points each night and was told that we had the best view at the hotel. FYI, the hotel is three floors and we were on the second floor! Numerous calls later and we came to a solution that allowed us to stay in the room and have an 8:00P check out on our last day (they acted as though they were doing a HUGE favor and the Front Desk Manager would not actually speak with me about the issue).

The best part...I used the lounge - it is really just the hotel bar - one afternoon at 2:00P and was reminded I could only have a free soft drink/tea or coffee (and still had to sign a check that reflected a Diet Coke priced at $0.00)! While enjoying my 'free lounge access', a tour group of 30+ arrived for their prearranged afternoon tea! The hotel uses the area for tour group functions.

Save the additional money or points and stay down the road at the Sofitel or one of the numerous other properties. But you must make it to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat - an amazing place!!

• Liked — Most of the staff was very nice.
  • Disliked — No Club level/Lounge access.Food, drinks. business services were over-priced for Cambodia.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mmjjbb
italy
Reviewed 28 January 2009

We stayed four nigths in a deluxe room . It is a great hotel , five stars in service , five stars in accomodation and only four stars for activity , spa , business centre . We have a superb experience at Italian restaurant : very nice place , excellent cousine , friendly service . Do not miss the breakfast .
During the day as anyone we visit temples and we enjoy the hotel when we come back in the nigth . This is the best moment to appreciate this hotel : the swimming pool , the romantic dinner , the cold beer at lounge cafe .

• Liked — HOTEL SERVICE
  • Disliked — SPA
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank piteryunior