“Beautiful new hotel a bit out of town”
Review of Le Meridien Angkor

Le Meridien Angkor
Ranked #66 of 376 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I stayed at Le Meridien in Siem Reap in the beginning of April 2009. I booked the room online on the the Starwood Preferred Guest website and it was 130 USD plus taxes.

The transport to the hotel in taxi was 7 USD and takes about 20-30 minutes. The hotel seems to be brand new and the welcoming was great. We were greeted and asked to sit down in a sofa. After handing over the passport and the credit card we got a cold cloth and a welcome drink and we didn’t even have time to finish the drinks before the papers were ready and we could be escorted to our room. The reception is very nice and stylish by the way, high ceilings, minimalistic but still not naked.

We got room 3110 and the room was very nice at first glance. When entering the room there was a small hallway leading to the bedroom straight forward. To the right was a small hallway containing the wardrobe, the safe, a place for placing a suitcase and it also lead to the bathroom. The bathroom was tiled in dark tiles which seemed to work in a strange way. The tiles seemed to glitter when they got wet and it was a pretty cool effect. But the main thing was of course that it had a proper shower corner and a separate bathtub. The bathroom featured the regular amenities but also had mouth wash like the Meridien I stayed at in Bangkok. There was a “window” between the bathroom and the bedroom which is a cool feature to start with at least. But the drawback is of course that it does not offer that much privacy.

The bedroom was with dark wooden floor, dark furniture, a huge bed (again a bit too hard for me), modern lighting (and enough of lighting), a separate sofa that I guess could have been made into an extra bed, a small table and a long furniture that was desk, place for a suitcase, place for TV and minibar, coffee making facilities. The TV was rather disappointing as it was a tiny CRT TV…but I guess you don’t go to Siem Reap to watch TV.

Every night we got small marshmallows and some other candy and we also got more complimentary water when asking for it. So the service at the hotel was very good. We also got help from the concierge for booking tours, info on getting into town, making reservations at restaurants etc.

The pool area was inspired by Angkor Wat and looked great but it is not ideal if you want to use the pool for working out. It was also a bit on the warm side – believe it or not. It is also out of the main building so it is a bit of a walk to get there.

Location of the hotel is not too bad. It is located on the way out of Siem Reap towards Angkor Wat. Getting around was not a problem as there were tuk-tuk’s available at any given time and getting into Old Market only took 5 minutes and cost 2 USD.

The breakfast was great and was more or less in line with what you expect from a great hotel in Asia. There was an extensive selection of bread, not to great selection of cereal, good juice, a booth for getting your eggs done, a noodle station, miso soup stand, home made yogurt, pancakes etc. The coffee was served nice and warm and was even changed when it got cold.

Conclusion
Le Meridien in Siem Reap was a wonderful hotel in my experience. Being brand new the facilities seems to be top notch as expected but it also seems that there is a good management to give the hotel that little extra to make it a very good hotel. I would have enjoyed seeing a softer bed alternative and I would of course enjoyed seeing free wifi. There is wifi at the hotel but it seemed to be a bit of a mission to get the access (call the business centre to get username and password sent to the room). But apart from that the hotel is highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gardkarlsen
Write a ReviewReviews (3,257)

Reviewed 28 March 2009

Chose this hotel after reading Tripadvisor and they offer good price for its class. I'm very fussy so I have probably sent them at least 5 emails before confirming the booking. As someone who's used to 5 star services around Asia (i.e big room, excellent&friendly service, free treatments etc), even Le Meridien Angkor is beyond our expectation. We arrived grumpy at the city due to lack of sleep, big hangover after all weekend party, and bad flight from Jakarta, Indonesia, only two days after 18 hours flight UK-Indonesia. But the hotel receptionists were so patient and by the time we were at the door we have smiled. The next whole three days were amazing. The hotel was superb we hardly got out of it at all. It is close to the city (10mts bicycle) and but not right at the city center so it is quiet and huge! The bathroom has shower jet and it is so nice having powerful shower after sweaty day from the tour. The food was fantastic, the service was excellent, and this is coming from someone who complains a lot like me!

It has traditional dance performance every several days and the show was amazing. We were caught by the general manager when we were trying to find the way to the show at the restaurant, and not only he took us to the restaurant and helped to check our names on the booking, but he also moved our table to a better position and then stopped to greet and talk other guests. The hotel also arranged the trip for us (they sent us the package info by email but we booked it just a day beforehand) and the guide has amazing knowledge - I'm familiar with Ramayana story as it's the same as Indonesia, I could easily find out if he doesn't tell the story correctly - our guide knows everything. The car was also clean and nice, with the AC working properly. Some complains about the price the hotel charges for the tour but we think it's reasonable.

The only complain was probably the bed was too comfy we were too lazy to try the hotel's gigantic pool!

Highly recommended! We'll definitely go back and stay again at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2009

This hotel is absolutely a gem.

The staff is incredible. We were traveling with our 2.5 year old daughter and they did everything they could to make her feel comfortable, including printing out images for her to color. The concierge desk was efficiency personified. We called them at 5am to see if it was possible to get transport to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat and within 15 minutes, there was a tuk tuk waiting for us.

The room was excellent. Due to the economic slowdown, we were able to upgrade to a suite for USD110 with breakfast thrown in and it was totally worth it. We had a big living room that we could sit and chat in while our daughter slept on the gigantic bed in the bedroom.

The food be it the buffet breakfast or room service, was of really high quality and tasted great. The afternoon high tea in the lobby lounge is a great way to spend the afternoon.

We weren't expecting much when we flew into Cambodia but this hotel was such a pleasant surprise.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Adesitraveller
Reviewed 14 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at Le Meridien Angkor for 2 nights to tour the temples in the area. Siem Reap airport is cozy and we had no issues with the hotel pickup and ride to the hotel. The hotel itself is in a great location with close proximity to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom - the reason for our visit. We were thrilled with that. It is also very close to the Siem Reap town. The service in the hotel was excellent! Starting from checking us in after we were comfortably seated in the lobby, to arranging tours and a driver for us to see the temples and an early morning tuk-tuk ride for the sunrise tours to Angkor Wat. The food at the hotel was the best in our 10 day trip to Cambodia and Thailand!! It was the first time we were eating Khmer cuisine and we were blown away!! We are now looking for a local Cambodian restaurant though I doubt it will be as good. We also did a dinner show - the cultural dance show - at the hotel and while the food was great, the show felt a little repetitive.... The rooms are ok. Nothing extraordinary from any other chain hotel. They do have this odd wooden window connecting the room and bathroom which can be closed but isn't sound proof.....but the rooms itself were very comfortable. There is a foot massage place in the hotel ( seperate from the spa) and it was wonderful! Do try it after a while day of tours! On the whole though, Cambodia seemed expensive and the hotel is no exception. All the service comes at a price and be prepared to pay in USD.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandy78
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I went to Le Meridien Siem Reap with a few of expectativies. However I found an excellent hotel, extremelly friendly staff. It is an old five star hotel, well mainteined, not exclusive, but very good value. fantastic spa.
I reccomended it !!! Room are wide and warm furnished (a little bit old style)
Good food, and very close to the temples and the city.
I will come back!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I'm a Starwood Gold Member and used my points for a four-day, three-night stay at Le Meridien in early February.

The hotel's location, away from town and closest to Angkor Wat, was a big plus as I toured the temples and other sights by bicycle. I found the sleeping room clean, comfortable, well-appointed, and quiet (save for the evening when they have the traditional music and Apsara dancers!). The bed was very comfortable, and the shower had excellent water pressure. The room, as well as the pool, provided a wonderful retreat after long days of touring.

The service, at nearly all levels, was warm and attentive. Upon arrival, the GM personally gave me a full orientation, replete with restaurant, spa, and touring recommendations. The concierge was extremely helpful with all my requests, large and small. The front-desk staff accommodated my requests for an early check-in (9:30am) and late check-out (4pm). Housekeeping was excellent. And I loved the afternoon and evening treats, especially the homemade marshmallows left on my pillow!

I was out from dawn to dusk and did not have any meals at the hotel so cannot comment in this regard. I did check out the breakfast buffet one morning and found the selection to be lacking, mostly in comparison to the lavish spreads found in Thailand's Starwood properties (but that's a pretty high bar to meet!).

I did have two massages at the spa and was extremely disappointed. Staff can be much better trained in both massage techniques and guest relations. Indeed, I found the bell staff more gracious than the spa staff! The spa itself could use more ambiance. The place feels like an afterthought, located behind the small fitness center. During my treatments, I could hear conversations in the hallways, mostly among staff. Even with the 50% off promotion, I felt like I wasted my time and money. If you want a real spa experience, I would highly recommend Frangipani Spa in town. That place is an oasis for true peace and relaxation!

I agree with other reviewers that Le Meridien Angkor leaves a lot to be desired in terms of architecture and ambiance. But honestly, unless you're planning to spend a big chunk of your time at the hotel, the lack of character is not a big deal.

In sum, Le Meridien Angkor is an excellent choice if you want a quiet, comfortable place to stay that is closest to the major sights--and it's only a quick bicycle or tuk-tuk ride into town.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank SanukSanuk
Reviewed 4 February 2009

I spent 4 nights at Le Méridien Angkor in summer 2008, booked with Starwood points.

Overall the hotel is a very good place to stay at.
Even if not charming, the hotel is convenient and the rooms are very comfortable. Bathrooms are nice and the bed is really comfortable.
It is well located, a bit away of the bustling center of Siem Reap but still within distance if you use a tuk-tuk. And it is on the road to the temples, which is good when leaving early in the morning.

The service is nice even if surprisingly far from the professionalism you would expect in a 5-star hotel. But you might consider that it is part of the exotism of Cambodia!

The pool is more than a nice-to-have given the temperature, and this one makes an enjoyable break in the afternoon.

Apart from the lack of atmosphere of the place and the somewhat poor offer of amenities (library, lounge...), the real bad point about this hotel is the over-priced, not-so-good food it serves. Definitely plan on having lunch and dinner downtown as this will definitely be a much nicer experience.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo