“A Pleasant and Convenient Stay”

The Siem Reap Amigo Villa
Ranked #392 of 486 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Shanghai, China
“A Pleasant and Convenient Stay”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I just spent three nights at the Siem Reap Amigo Villa and found my stay to be very pleasant! The location is wonderful and about 5-8 minutes walk to the Pub Street and 3 from the Night Market. The view from the roof of the hostel is beautiful. The staff is great. Marck is really nice and responds to emails quickly, and everyone can help you to arrange activities or transportation. Our room was also clean and the hostel was very colorful and lively. The breakfast was also good. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Siem Reap!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 February 2014

If you are on a budget or are simply tired of big deluxe resorts, Amigo Villa near the Night Market is an an excellent choice. The rooms are comfortable, stylish, and clean. Breakfast is cooked to order and served on the veranda shaded by lush bamboo. Internet is good, and the staff is excellent and friendly.
I only wanted to tour for no more than three hours a day, and the driver was completely understanding, and when I just wanted to take a day off by sitting on the veranda with my computer, the staff treated me like a family member.
The place has a lot of style and friendliness with young and old guests from all sorts of countries.
A truly delightful place.
Jack

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This is a small hotel off the beaten track but we recommend it. They were very accommodating about airport pick up, meals, helping us plan day trips etc. Mr. Marck En is the go-to guy there. We also strongly recomment the services of "Mr. G" (Girrath) who provided us with much of our "tuk tuk" transportation. He was always on time and ready to go and went out of his way to help us find the best times and places to visit.

Room Tip: Don't stay too near the lobby. Backpackers come and go at all hours and we needed to ask them t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
SF
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Malfunction flush, dripping sink. Noise around the building. The worst part is no sorry at all. Management seems very amateur. Need to do a lot of work. I am sure people can find much better place for price this business charge. The most important part try to book in advance to get a better deal, avoid agoda.com, if you pay up front it's always going to be 20 to 30 percent more than the online price.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank travellerlj

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I booked this place for a week-long stay based on the positive reviews it has received in the past. I unfortunately cannot reconcile those positive reviews with my experience. Despite the good location, the competence of the staff, both of the guesthouse and of the tour guides supplied by Marck, and the condition of the room itself were average at best.

The positives - Good location, Marck (The person who I booked the room with and I assume the owner) was friendly when he was actually present, and the room was reasonably clean.

The negatives - Some of the furnishings in the room and en-suite showed their age (doors which didn't close, sinks which leaned sideways, marks and stains on walls and ceilings), and the en-suite had insufficient ventilation.

Marck was hardly ever at the guesthouse to answer questions or address concerns, and since the other staff couldn't answer my questions regarding the 3-day tuk-tuk tour I booked, I had to hunt Marck down more often than not.

The staff were less than friendly. They almost never offered even a basic greeting upon my entrance or exit in the mornings and evenings, instead preferring to lounge in the common area and dining area keeping each other company at the expense of attention paid to guests. I couldn't even get a smile in return when I said good morning or good evening! They often didn't bother to man the reception counter, even when a guest was obviously looking for assistance. I eventually stopped trying to get their attention with storing and retrieving my room key when I entered and left, I just did it myself as the keys were left completely open and accessible behind the unattended reception counter (and the staff seemed completely happy with me doing this).

The cleaning staff performance was spotty at best. One day I would find the room cleaned but missing a towel. Another day I would find that the cleaner missed my room, forcing me to ask reception to send one up.

The tours touted by Marck were simply run-of-the-mill tuk-tuk drivers who drove me to each location, dropped me off and picked me up. There was no "guide" to the tour, the drivers couldn't tell me anything about the locations and their command of English was basic. The driver on the first day (booked by Marck himself) passed me off to 2 (two!) other drivers during the day because "he was busy", and those two were just as anonymous and unhelpful.

Unfriendly, inattentive staff who genuinely didn't seem to care a whit for their guests. Inconsistent cleaning service. Overpriced and underwhelming "tours" with thoroughly average drivers booked by Marck. The only saving grace is the good location, but that wasn't enough to make my experience a positive one.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Xia0Zhang
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We had arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport, but didn't see it when we arrived, so we opted for another driver. He didn't know where the hostel was and it took him a bit to get a hold of the owner for him to help us find it. Once we got there, we walked in and there were a number of locals hanging around the front entrance. That was totally fine, but no one greeted us and they stared at us, looking like they were questioning why we were there.

The owner/employee finally perked up from the couch he was laying on and asked me why i didn't use the airport pick up, then blamed us for the driver calling us so many times. When we checked in he did come around and become helpful.

The room was very clean - two twin beds - quiet. Good wireless. The bathroom had the shower as the bathroom, but that was ok - it was still very clean. Just not the most comfortable for me personally.

The entire night there was someone sleeping on the couch. We woke up early to go to Angkor Wat (4:30 am) and he was snoring - i didn't think he was staying there. When we checked in I'm pretty sure he was lounging there as well. There was also someone on the computer, but that was fine.

What struck me as strange was i didn't see any travelers there - it just looked for a place for locals to lounge around.

Craziest part about it was that we went to check out, the following day (we had found another b&B that was much more suitable for us) and I have never been charged for the room. I lost my deposit (5 bucks, but oh well), but not the one night was charged, nor was the three that i had reserved. That was certainly nice, but goes to show how unorganized they were.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Pros: Our room was nice and good natural sunlight. There was a decent variety of breakfast choices. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was about a 5-10 minute walk to the center which provided some quietness.
Cons: They would like you to use their tuk-tuks and will tell you that you were ripped off if you use someone else.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple