“Inept staff and inconvenient location”

MotherHome Boutique Hotel
Ranked #35 of 507 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a superior room at MotherHome Boutique. Our room is spacious and nicely decorated. It has plenty of natural light and well lit at night which we really like. The bed is on the hard side but we're ok with it. The balcony is tiny and pretty much unusable (may be good for smokers only).
The biggest problem is with the bath tub which drains really slowly and water backs up as you shower up to the ankle. We complained to front desk twice, both times they told us it was fixed, but if there's any improvement at all, we can hardly tell. I think it is very unprofessional for them to try to brush the problem aside in that manner. The staff also messed up our message appointment. We ended up wasting a big part of our evening when we returned to hotel to be told that we couldn't have our messages. The situation was poorly handled and very little in terms of apology was offered.
The location of the hotel is less than ideal. Tuk-tuk ride to Pub street costs $2 each way. We were never able to get a $1 ride. To make the matter worse, 2 of the tuk-tuk drivers had trouble finding the hotel on our way back from Pub Street. Even with the card the hotel gave us. The hotel is situated at a very inconspicuous alley off Airport Road, the hotel should put up a sign to make it easier for drivers to locate. Or the hotel should give out a better map for hotel guests, the tiny map on the back of the hard is not too helpful.
We like the breakfast choices. They have noodle soup and omelet made on demand which is nice. The first day though, the hot entrees were not kept warm, but on the second day they turned on the warmers. One area of improvement is the packed breakfast, we're pleased that they provide this for guests going to see the sunrise, but it was really basic. The pool area is very nice and relaxing. Bar service is extremely slow though.
Also please be aware that the hotel offers free pickups from the airport only. This gives the driver an opportunity to get business from you during your stay. If you don't use his service (like us, we already pre-arranged our driver and guide), then you have to pay $5 for the trip back to the airport.
Overall, the hotel offers pretty good value for the price. The hotel needs to address the problem with drivers not being able to find the hotel at night and also really fix the plumbing problem.

Room Tip: Superior room has very tiny balcony, so don't count on relaxing in it. I think the deluxe rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Great Stay there. The Staff are so friendly that they will try to meet every request you ask for. The reception can speak Chinese well. :) I have share this good hotel with my friend and I hope they will stay with them and enjoy everything there as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have to say i was a bit disappointed here with my quality of sleep, i stayed at all Motherhome property this wasnt the best but it certainly most beautiful room among the sister property. at first i thought i forgot to close the windows as the noise from outside was so loud you can hear everything out there i was staying at room 302 if am not mistaken facing to the street. However since everyone are amazing i could careless about my sleep.
Cleanliness of the room was bit down compared to Motherhome Guest House. again i dont really care :-) ( probably they were too busy to be detailed< as i was arriving very early) However, i had the most amazing hospitality experience here

Room Tip: Avoid room by the road side, even the highest floor are the same
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2013

It is not very big hotel, but is very quiet. The hotel room is clean and you got everything you need. The service is great and very attentive. Everything is neat and tidy. They have a great team of tuk tuk cars. So you will pay much less for the tuk tuk service compared to market price. Hotel would arrange all the tour service for you. Oh, they speak Chinese too, in case you need that :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We originally booked to stay in the Motherhome Inn but were upgraded to the Boutique Hotel. What a lovely surprise! The room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. The pool was lovely - great place to chill when it was too hot to walk around Angkor Wat! The staff greeted us with cool towels every time we walked in and did so much to help us. I would definitely stay here it again. It is outside of town, but only takes 20 minutes to walk to pub street, or you can get a tuk tuk for $1. Our tuk tuk drive, Sam, was brilliant and took us on a day tour of Angkor Wat - highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

stayed for 5 nights in november.

Staff very helpful and accommodating.

Rooms were very big and had on suite shower.

Air con was decent.

Mini fridge also in room, along with a kettle.

The in room safe was however is not attached to anything and can easily be carried away!

Location wasn't ideal, 10mins by tuk tuk to pub street, a lot longer when walking.

The main problem with the hotel were the other guests staying. a lot of chinese mainlanders stay here and they are very noisy especially early in the morning 6.30am+
On top of this, the slamming of doors ensures you won't have a lie in.

Overall a nice hotel but i won't be returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank vonnie123
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Let me start by saying the owner put great effort in solving any issues, but I need to share the experience as I always do in reviews. It's only fair to other travelers and I would expect the same from other reviewers.

I didn't book this hotel, I booked the Motherhome Inn from all the great reviews about the owner. However, when I got picked up from bus they told me I was getting upgraded to this hotel. When I asked why they told me because of construction at the "Inn". This is where my main issue is because I should have been told in advance and been given the option to book elsewhere. I prefer to book small hotels where the owner is present, this usually always makes a great experience. I remember reading a review about how the owner greeted a guest and help them plan their tours immediately after they arrived. This is why I booked the Motherhome Inn and this surely didn't happen at the Boutique. It was pretty much cookie cutter shown a list of tours and pick one.

Upon seeing hotel and the room I didn't see any difference from the pictures from the "Inn" and how it was an upgrade at all. When I got to my room I found the bed very hard(could even press down and feel the springs). In addition, the room had a loud air conditioner that I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep with it on. The front desk switched to a quieter room, but told all beds were the same. I was impressed to find the mattress changed to a foam one the next day. The owner is very helpful when I emailed him of the issue.

Other issue was tours by their tuk tuk drivers. First day was good and driver helpful and nice. Second day with different driver was not the same. He up sold the tour, doubled the price and we finished pretty early. He was ok, just not the outgoing friendly guy we had before and we didn't understand the up sale the same as we thought he described which led to a weird conversation when time to pay. I did email the owner and later that day a manager told me that driver would give a free ride to airport and refund money in question of dispute. He did drive to airport, but never offered any of the money back. I never asked for it, but another weird moment because I was told he would. Also VERY uncomfortable ride to airport in tense silence. Not sure why I was put with a driver again that I had an issue with. Would have rather paid for my own ride with a happy driver, so that made no sense why the hotel did that unless it was to punish him and make me feel uncomfortable after I complained about the tour price issue. The only reason I wrote the owner was to recommend having the drivers carry a tour price sheet like the one in the lobby so that everyone clearly understands the charges and up sell add ons. The staff did a very nice gesture by giving a bouquet of roses upon departure to airport. It was appreciated, but flowers are never allowed on flights, so they had to be thrown away in customs 30 min later.... A waste really and sad to have to do that to such beautiful fresh flowers.
The hotel means well I guess, but the execution of this stuff I just have a hard time understanding.

Place is clean and nice, staff is very nice, but it's just missing the presence of an owner. This happens when a great owner/manager expands from more then location and has to manage remotely, it loses the firm control of a great experience for guests.

Breakfast was ok, eggs were either under or over cooked, just needs slight adjustments to the cooks training on cooking eggs. Lots of choices, when we got there early everything was warm, but a couple of hours later the next day most things about room temp. Again, just needs slight adjustment to be a great experience.

Pool was nice! Grounds are pretty and clean. Location is a bit away from town, but lots of tuk tuks. Can use hotel tuk tuk there for $1 and the ones in town charge $2 to return.

Room was nice and maid does a great job. Lots of tv channels in English. Thought mini bar was over priced.. US$2.50 for a local beer! In Bangkok hotel is was only $1.00 for local beer. In town you can get a 30min foot massage and a local beer included for $3.00 total.

Now, let's talk value... For $29 it's a great deal. Personally I will continue to only book hotels with owners on site so I don't have some of these issues because vacations should be simple, straightforward with easy communication.

Stayed: November 2013