“Comfort & Joy”

MotherHome Boutique Hotel
Ranked #27 of 493 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
“Comfort & Joy”
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the courtyard rooms 402 and 403 which are on the ground floor. The hotel is well decorated and interesting. The rooms are comfortable. Breakfast is included and caters to most tastes, including western cuisine and eastern. There is a bar and a swimming pool and the staff are very welcoming and capable.

Overall, an excellent venue for the 5 nights we spent there. Some things to watch for should include the following. Spend a few minutes to work out how the shower works. Spray the room when leaving to kill the mosquitos and check the room before going to sleep on return to ensure they are gone. My wife is a light sleeper and was woken by other guests leaving for the sunrise tours. I did not have the same issue. The wardrobe space is limited.

This venue is great value, comfortable and well decorated. The staff are intelligent and capable of filling most requirements. The free wifi was also stable and appreciated.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 23 February 2014

What I liked:
It's very cheap and breakfast is really good (fruit, pastries, some Asian dishes like spring rolls or noodles) - these are two main advantages. Another two are pool and garden area - both good to unwind a bit after sightseeing in heat. But those artificial animals are just creepy!

We liked our driver Chad (I'm not sure how to spell his name...), he doesn't speak much English but he is so friendly and helpful. I can really recommend his service and as far as I know, he is hired by the hotel so they will call him for you.

What I didn't like:
Our room was shabby old, furniture were outdated and walls desperately require fresh painting. Bathroom was extremely poor - shower area wasn't separated from the rest of our bathroom so it was constantly flooded. And it was quite dirty. To tell the truth, I can't understand high reviews when it comes to cleanness of this hotel... but I guess you get what you paid for and this place is very cheap (on the other hand - there are plenty of inexpensive hotels in Siem Reap). Our A/C was old and a bit smelly, lamp was covered with dust and spider webs ( even cheap places require dusting from time to time), and we couldn't get rid of mosquitos. Restaurant very expensive when it comes to Siem Reap standards (everything 2x more expensive than in the city). Location not so good - far from the city centre. Finally - we found the staff to be unpleasant and not really helpful.

As an example: we were planning to observe sunrise at Angkor Wat the next morning so we asked the staff to prepare breakfast for us - we were leaving at 5 am. When we came down to the lobby there was nobody around, we waited for a minute or two but nobody showed up. As we were in a hurry we just left and ate breakfast in a restaurant after sunrise (3 hours later... we were so hungry!). The staff didn't really apologize to us, they said that the breakfast was ready... but nobody gave it to us, ehem. After we came back from sightseeing I asked if we could get this breakfast (that was already packed for us anyway) and eat it for lunch but they said it was impossible (don't know why). Well... if they really cared about their customers they would at least offer us some lunch as compensation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rocking_pony
Reviewed 20 February 2014

At first glance it looks like one more, but the care provided in the staff is unbeatable. Very good service, large, comfortable and free WiFi in the same room. We were surprised at the friendliness and attention of all employees, we would be back without a doubt. Only accept dollars.

Room Tip: 207 see the pool
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Yee Y
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in February 2014. Got a great deal on agoda.com and was really pleased with the hotel. If you are looking for a resort then this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a clean, local boutique place with lots of character then this is the place.

We were traveling with a 77 year old and a nearly 4 year old and it suited everyone as they gave us rooms on the gourd floor - perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aadavix
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,001 helpful votes
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have been to Siem Reap four times and for me this is the best place I have stayed in
We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived to a spotless, modern hotel in well maintained gardens. It is a mere 10 minute stroll to town or a $1-2 dollar ride by outside tuk tuk. Motherhome has a tuk tuk service to town for a dollar a ride. A truly excellent idea and shows real care for the guests.

What can make or break a hotel stay are the staff. Our welcome was from helpful smiling staff and check in was effortless and all throughout our stay all of the staff were warm and smiling. Clearly this come from having a happy staff, good management and comes from the top down. The manager Kev is one of the very best managers I have had the pleasure to meet. Nothing was too much trouble with any issue, directions, helpful advice, etc. He was always on hand to make sure this wonderful hotel was run to clockwork.

Our room was large and clean. the bathroom could be a little better but when our shower broke down...what happened? Kev ordered a new one overnight from Phnom Penh and had it installed the next morning. He actually came in on his day off to make sure it was working and we happy guests. That is 6 star service.

There is a lovely spotless pool to get away from it all and relax, with the bar and dining right beside it. The very good and varied breakfast can be taken indoors in a lovely dining room, or outdoors. We got a surprise when the "wall" slid back to reveal a smiling chef to cook your eggs or prepare a delicious noodle soup.

The owner, of the three hotels in the group, was great to deal with. Every email was answered promptly and very good advice given. He takes a welcome hands on approach that many other owners could follow.

Yes. All in all a lovely small boutique hotel that deserves to prosper and continue to do well.

We for sure won't stay anywhere else in future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was very pleased with my accommodation. Clean, pleasant, spacious room with a small balcony. Grounds very nice; you can breakfast outside. I asked for a lower floor due to the lack of an elevator and got one with no problem. The bed was very hard. Since I am a small lady I was able to turn my pillows into a improvised mattress but this comment about hard beds occurs in many of the reviews and is totally true. The massage service was excellent and very reasonable. The hotel pool looks inviting. Strange that in the entire time I stayed there, no one used it. The hotel made arrangements for me for a wonderful tuk tuk driver - ask for Nay Neang. I used his services all the four days I was there. The main problem was that the staff in the kitchen only knew a few words of English. English speakers very definitely needed in the dining room! Everything was perfect with the front desk staff except for the last day. I turned in a lengthy "guest satisfaction survey" my last morning and went to use the computer in the lobby. I heard laughter and other sounds and came back to find the staff mocking my survey. That incident left a very bad taste in my mouth. If the face those staff members presented to me was false, they should have had the sense to ridicule my heartfelt and constructive survey after I left the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in October, and would happily recommend MotherHome Boutique Hotel to friends. The only reason we are giving it a rating of 4 rather than 5 is because we found the bed to be very hard. Many people like harder beds, so this isn't really a complaint, but only a comment and a reflection of our own experience. Otherwise, everything was great, and the price was excellent. You will definitely get value for your money.

From our initial communications with the hotel, we were treated as valued guests. The owner, Mr. Kimleang Lo, personally responded to all of our email questions promptly and completely. The staff, from the front desk to the tuk-tuk drivers, were friendly and helpful. The location is close to a main street, but far enough off the street that there is no traffic noise (at least not in our room). There is no elevator in the hotel, so while it did not bother us to climb the stairs, if you do not like climbing you may want to specifically ask for a room on a lower floor. The rooms are not huge, but there is so much to see and do in and around Siem Reap that you're not going to spend much time in your room anyway. And if you need a larger space to read or sit and chat, the lobby is roomy and comfortable.

For us, the best thing was the massage spa, where we went nearly every night after touring during the day. Foot massage, head and shoulder massage, body massage--they were all wonderful. We were reluctant to leave after each one.

What they say in their advertising about making guests feel valued really is true. We feel that we made an excellent choice.

Room Tip: There is no lift, so if you don't want to climb, ask for a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple